“Just What We Were Looking For”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mr. Smith's of Georgetown
Ranked #119 of 183 Nightlife in Washington DC
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My two teenage children and I enjoyed a lovely meal in the charming garden of Mr. Smith's on a Saturday night. After being informed there was a 35-40 minute wait at other nearby restaurants we stumbled upon Mr. Smith's. The bar is in front and was noisy and crowded, but once we walked to the back the garden was open. It was almost full, but there was no wait.

Our server was polite, but got my daughter's order wrong. It was rectified and we all enjoyed our meal. It took all of us some time to order as there were many appealing choices at reasonable prices. Service was slow, but typical for a Saturday around 8:00.

There was a fountain and statuary which provided a tasteful touch. Seating is simple and decor low key, but we were not looking for a refined, upscale or romantic spot. As it got chillier they lit the overhead heaters and put an awning up which made the garden even nicer.

It was a pleasure to be able to hold a conversation as the tables were not jammed close together and it wasn't overly noisy. We sat near a small bar in the garden, but it was subdued.

No piano bar during our visit.

We will definitely be back for the garden, ambiance and good food.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

After reading the reviews on countless restaurants in the Georgetown area I was starting to become bewildered. This restaurant boasted reasonable prices, a piano bar, and an outside fireplace. Sounded enticing and it turned out to be the best meal we had on our stay. The service was impeccable and extremely friendly. I believe our server's name was Daniel. He was a young man who was very attentive and kept up a great conversation with my family. It was snowing outside but the dining room was warm and gave the appearance of eating outside on a warm summer evening. There was a lovely wood burning stove, twinkling lights and tiffany chandeliers adorning the dining room. The food was good as well. We all had sandwiches so I realize you can't mess them up too bad and I cannot comment on the main entrees but our party of five was very happy with what we enjoyed. My stepmom and I split a bottle of wine which was their special (yellowtail sauvignon blanc...not fancy but great at a restaurant for $15) and our bill with an app four sandwiches, a salad entree, bottle of wine, and another mixed drink was 105.00... not too bad compared to some of the expensively priced restaurants in the surrounding area.

It was a welcoming and warm environment as the website boasts and we had a fantastic experience thanks to an excellent staff and superior guest service. We will definitely recommend this to others traveling to the Georgetown area and will most certainly return in the future! Thank you!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Lovely dinner in the garden's. Our waitress was in training her first night and I ordered the $1,000.00 burger. Our waitress was so surprised and when I found out that was really the price I was surprised too.
Great atmosphere and we will be back soon.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

If you like the piano bar and sing a long on weekends, this is the place to be. Great atmosphere, lots of fun and the piano song a long man does a great job. Best days to hang out are Saturdays, though it gets crowded after 10pm. Lots of college people. Love it. The food is not very good. I mostly enjoy the bar.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Like some of the other reviewers, we went here recently with our daughter who is attending my Alma Mater. We had fond memories of Mr. Smith's brunch on Sunday morning from our days living here when I was an undergraduate student.

My overall recommendation- leave it to the undergraduate students. If you're over 30, trust me, your tastes have changed and you'll want better.

The trip through the bar to get to the outdoor patio dining area was a minor assault to the nose- stale beer from last night's "festivities." Patio chairs were plastic and uncomfortable.

Food was fair and that's about it. Probably what annoyed me most was the drink special. There was supposed to be 2 mimosas and bloody mary's included with your breakfast. Not being inclined to drink 2 drinks at 10 am, I only ordered one. When we got the bill, I was charged a hefty price for my one drink. When I asked about it- my server said you had to ASK for the 2 drink special and you had to GET both drinks. He offered to get me a second drink in order to remove the price for the first drink.

I quickly realized what was going on- by only ordering the one drink, they made me a top-shelf drink. If I'd have said I wanted the special, I would have received the bottom shelf drink.

Either way, it made no sense to me for them to give "expend" more of their drink materials and make me another drink in order to drop the price. Why not just give me the one drink free- top shelf or not? The whole thing didn't make sense to me and I didn't want to ruin our morning arguing my point.

The one positive I'd say about Mr. Smith's is our sever was a lovely gentleman, very friendly and provided good customer service (with the exception of the drink issue).

Overall, my lesson to those looking to take a trip down memory lane? Leave the past in the past and find a nicer restaurant!

For those who've never been there- skip it and find a nicer restaurant.

1  Thank ICTS1