“Great inexpensive choice for DC!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard

Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard
Ranked #76 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
jersey city nj
“Great inexpensive choice for DC!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

We arrived for a weekend family get together late on a Friday night. The front desk clerk informed us that the garage was full and that we would have to park on the street and wake up at 7am to move our car. It would have been helpful in their "we can't wait to welcome you to our hotel " email I received earlier in the week if they had mentioned the possibility of no parking...We were then given a room next to the elevator...when I specifically asked for a room as far away from elevator as possible. I made my way downstairs as my husband searched for a parking space. The front desk sensing my frustration took a moment and fixed my issues....we rewound and started over....she called the garage to see if they could squeeze another car in and moved my room to the top floor far away from the elevator and connected us to the room that my inlaws would be staying in the next day. I can't tell you how her professional and calm demeanor saved my trip and my review!! The first room on the 4th floor smelled faintly of smoke...but the room on the 15th floor was perfect. Clean, quiet and with the connecting room made for the perfect large suite to share with extended families. The hotels decor both in lobby and room is updated and contemporary. I would say bring your shampoos and soaps as their offerings were skimpy and not great quality. Their breakfast was actually quite good but ended MUCH to early for late risers on vacation. The location is walkable (long distance) to the Capital. I would have loved a walkable map to the newly renovated waterfront which no one that worked there could tell me how to get to...(was hoping for a run along the water). I think this is perfect inexpensive choice to stay in the Nations Capital to soak up the sights and relax.

Room Tip: Upper floor was the way to go....
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank marlo93

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for the 4th of July, with the main reason for my visit being to see a Nationals game. The hotel was extremely convenient to the Nationals stadium, maybe a 10 minute walk at most. Hotel was relatively inexpensive compared to most other Marriotts in the city mainly because it's not in the heart of the city. However, there is a Metro station about a block away. I bought a day pass for the Metro and was able to travel back and forth to Smithsonian/National Mall as many times as I wanted to without having to pay any more. Would recommend this hotel, was a typical Courtyard for the most part but was very clean. Only downside was there wasn't much to eat around the area- there was the place in the hotel, a Subway, a Starbucks, and a Five Guys (which was closed).

2 Thank mmbbg17
Jason H, Manager at Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for telling us about your stay. We are excited to hear how our convenient location to the Metro and the Nationals Stadium played a part in the enjoyment of your trip to Washington DC.

Our Community here is ever changing, with new restaurants opening every month. We hope to have you back soon.

Jason Horni
Assistant General Manager
El Cajon, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel many times. It was recently remodeled and looks brand new. The staff is helpful, polite, and competent. The rooms are spacious, quiet, and clean. I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Get on a high floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Joyce M
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Had really good luck with courtyard Marriotts and they have exceptional service and their beds are so comfortable. We also chose this hotel because it was close to the nationals ballpark and the metro(only a couple stops to the mall). Neighborhood is quiet and there is the fantastic G and B brewery restaurant and a cvs pharmacy. A quick walk to the ballpark. Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Becky D
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

My family stayed here to attend a Nationals game. The hotel's location was great for attending the game, and it is very close to the Navy Yard metro stop for easy access to other things in DC. The room was clean and nice. The food options, both inside the hotel and around the hotel are very limited. For breakfast each morning, the hotel restaurant was out of something that either my wife ordered or my son ordered.

There are a number of new buildings being constructed around the hotel; and hopefully, new restaurants will be added in the area when those are finished.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Chris J
CYWASNY1, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Chris J

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologize that our level of service did not fully meet with your expectations. I will take your feedback and make sure that I share it with my staff.

Thank you again and we will have these matters corrected when you visit us again.

Best
K. Andre Antoine
Amarillo, Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Just stayed at this hotel for five nights. We reserved a room with a king size bed and pull out bed and they gave us an extra large room with a separate bedroom with the king bed on the 15th floor. This was just a GREAT hotel. Room was impeccable. Looks brand new. Great view. Having a microwave and mini fridge in each room was great. We had zero problems.

One of the best things about this hotel is the location. Don't bother trying to drive in DC. The Metro train green line is about 100 yards from the front door. That will get you almost anywhere you need to go. The DC Circulator bus also goes RIGHT by the hotel when going to Union Station/Capitol/Supreme Court. There is also a CVS right next to the Metro stop.

The only negative I can say is I wish they had free breakfast like many other hotels. However, with the CVS/Microwave/Refrigerator, it is okay. National's ballpark is only a couple of blocks away and an easy walk.

Going to DC? STAY HERE.

3 Thank Printman2000
Denver, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

When we arrived, the very small area at the curb for check in was totally full, with 2 cars! We waited about 10 minutes for one of the cars to move so we could check in. We were planning to take the metro into DC and tour a few museums, but ran out of time. The metro is about a block away from this hotel, so the location is great. Another couple was meeting us there and we were all planning to go to a game. After everyone unpacked and changed clothes for the game, we went down to the bar for a drink and appetizer before we went to dinner. They had only 2 people working the bar and it was not nearly enough. It was crowded because the World Cup Soccer game was on and the US was playing. I ordered a glass of wine and it took them 45 minutes to bring it to me!! The other 3 people in our group received beer and mixed drinks after about 30 minutes and appetizers took about 20 minutes. Very disappointing for a hotel this large to be so understaffed after work hours when a very popular sports event is on TV.
I had to ask housekeeping for a bar of soap for the shower. Our room only had only one tiny bar of soap in it .Other than that, our stay there was fine. The room was nice and clean. Breakfast the next morning was good. Service at the front desk was good. They offered suggestions for restaurants for dinner that were close to the baseball field but far enough away that they would not be as crowded for dinner before a game.
I do have a problem with hotels having down comforters on the beds in the middle of the summer. I would prefer a cotton blanket. With the down comforter, you have to either turn the air down very low in order to be comfortable sleeping under it or take it off completely, turn the temp higher and sleep with only a sheet over you. It's either one extreme or the other....no options in between that I am aware of.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple