“bar experience was better than table seating”

Barcelona Wine Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #59 of 3,196 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Bar, European, Spanish, Wine Bar, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At the heart of Logan Circle, along 14th Street, is the busiest arts and dining scene in the nation's capital. Barcelona Wine Bar & Restaurant, at the heart of it all, between Q and R streets, brings a mix of old and new-world elegance to the rowhouses and Victorians that line this historic neighborhood. Start the evening with a glass of wine at the bar or enjoy tapas in our open dining space or beautiful private room. For those who enjoy dining under the setting sun or a canopy of stars, our expansive and lush courtyard has an outdoor fireplace and offers a glimpse of 14th Street's vibrant street traffic.
WashingtonDC
“bar experience was better than table seating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I ended up going to Barcelona again because a few of my friends were having dinner there. I wasn't too jazzed about the place last time, but I decided to give it another try. This time, at least in the bar area, the restaurant was a lot more lively and inviting. The bar seats are on first come, first served basis, so we were lucky that someone was leaving as we were arriving.

Apparently, Monday is half-price wine night, and most of the wines of the list are included. We ended up splurging for some really good wine. I will say that Barcelona has had a good wine program both times I have been there. The sommelier matched the wine to what we were having that night and wanted to drink, so kudos to that.

My friend and I tried not to overdo it with the food. Tapas places like this, you end up ordering a lot of things and spending triple what you expected to spend. We kept it simple after starting with wine, and then I got lamb burger with a salad instead of bread. The salad was just mediocre. My friend both got the skirt steak dish, and for the price point, I thought that the portion was rather small.

I will say that our server was very good at up-selling. He suggested these roasted jalapenos (or whatever kind of pepper they were) as an accompaniment to the cheese. It's not something I would normally think of getting, but they were very good and I have two portions of it. Very simple, but well-executed.

Overall, I had a much better time at Barcelona this time than last. It has a good vibe, and as the weather gets warmer, it'll definitely be a good spot to sit outside and have a drink.

Rockville, Maryland, United States
“Bar tender to ask for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Hi TA readers, I'm sitting at the bar at Barcelona Bar and Resturant and enjoying a dry Hendricks Martini along with some of the best Beef Empanadas is Washington DC. This is a premiere location for the 30 something and over beautiful crowd of the DMV (DC, MD, VA) to gather. One of the most proficient, friendly, and hardworking bar tenders is a guy named Justin....and he was just what I needed to not feel alone sitting at the bar by myself. He kept making sure I was doing ok and was so knowledge about the specialty drinks menu and beers that he could recommend the perfect temptation to each customer....with a quote above his head from Oscar Wilde..."I can resist anything except temptation." I was invested into people watching from the start. Just be prepared to be bumped into a lot because this is a crowd pleaser establishment and it is crowded from happy hour to closing time.....or from opening to closing time on weekends. People want to make it an experience and tables don't turn over often so be patient or just order some delicious tapas at the bar. They will be opening a new bar soon.....so I hope to see you there.

Washington, DC
“Great Food and Locations, less good service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

A wonderful new entry to the 14th Street corridor and a wonderful addition to the neighborhood. I have been wanting to try it out since they opened this winter and we finally made it for Brunch on Saturday. The Tapas were fantastic and the bloody Mary excellent and different. This will quickly become a go to place for us, but I hope that they figure out their service which was inattentive and mostly the waiters and bartenders talking to each other instead of actually trying to be of service (not terrible, but can be much better).

1 Thank DCNike
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful Tapas Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Dined here on a chilly weeknight. The restaurant is right along the action of 14th Street. You walk through the outdoor patio to get to the restaurant. Too bad it was so cold, because the patio looks like a lot of fun. Several heaters were scattered amongst benches and chairs. There were a ton of really soft blankets available as well. Definitely want to come back on a warm summer night!

The inside is very warm and inviting - low-lighting, lots of open space, dark wood floors, high ceilings. It is intimate and fun. The restaurant filled up very quickly - I was glad we got there when we did!

We ordered wine - I had a pinot noir which was delicious, so full-bodied and jammy. There were four of us, and we ordered 3 small plates to start, and 6 with dinner, as well as 2 desserts and coffee. This was plenty of food. To start, we had flatbread with goat cheese and arugula - this was one of my favorites. We also had chipotle figs, which were divine - so flavorful and full of awesome texture. This was one of the best dishes I have ever had. The olives we ordered were stuffed with cheese and perfectly salty. The flaky bread they served complimentary was a wonderful addition.

For our meal, we had pork belly, duck confit, calamari, among other small plates. All of it was great - so flavorful and hearty. We split the hazelnut chocolate cake with coconut ice cream, and the churros for dessert. The churros were a little dry, not the best, but the chocolate cake was heavenly.

Will definitely be back!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Tapa Place in DC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

We recently tried Barcelona Wine Bar. We had a party of 6 with a reservation. We waited about 10-15 minutes past our reservation time to be seated. This place is packed at all times. Just know before you go your reservation time will be around the time not the exact time. Get a drink at the bar and wait, it is worth it. The bar and dining area are loud. If you can try to sit outside, you don't have to yell as much. Plus they have several heaters and a fireplace outside to keep you warm on the cold days and create ambiance on any day.
The food - we tried several things (patatas bravas, potato tortilla,caldo gallego,grilled hanger steak,albondigas, empanadas, croquettes, migas,& various meat and cheeses) and everything really was delicious. I wasn't sure what to expect because the reviews I read were all over the place, but I was pleasantly surprised. The prices and food were well worth the wait, and the yelling over each other to have a conversation.
I recommend trying Barcelona but make sure to have a reservation. This place is busy and I mean people always waiting to be seated busy all the time.

Visited February 2014