“Great location and Wonderful Complimentary Breakfast”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center
Ranked #33 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great location and Wonderful Complimentary Breakfast”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

My family and I have had a wonderful time at Embassy Suites, Washington DC, Convention Center. The staff at Embassy Suites is professional, courteous and very nice. My first contact with Embassy Suites involved Mr. Charles Hill, the manager. He answered my email and provided me with great information.
My family and I were blessed to receive a White House tour and needed to have an early arrival at the hotel. We arrived at 9:15 a.m. and were greeted by Ms. Gracie and Ms. Barbara at the front desk. Ms. Gracie greeted us with a smile and worked her magic to find us a room for early check-in.
The rooms were large and my twins enjoyed sleeping on the comfortable sofa bed. Every day, we came back from our day in the city to a clean room with fresh towels. The hotel has great amenities. If you do not want to pay for the in room internet, $10 per day (we did and it was convenient), then there are 6 computers with 2 printers in the lobby which provided free internet access. There were also additional computers on the lower level. They also have complimentary phone chargers in the breakfast area, just in case you forget your charger.
The complimentary breakfast was wonderful. The made to order omelets, as well as the buffet breakfast filled our bellies every morning. The manager’s reception from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. was something to look forward to. There were 2 bartenders (Regina and Rose) that provided virgin and alcoholic complimentary drinks. My twins were excited to dispense lemonade by themselves and then dish out chips. This was their daily treat.
Although, we drove down, we had no use for the car because the hotel is so close to everything! In fact, when we come back, we may take the bus because the drop off is a block away from the hotel. We had our 5-year old twins walk to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, the Spy Museum, Chinatown, and the Convention Center. If we needed a taxi, they were readily available at the front of the hotel.
In all, this was one of the best family vacations, thanks to the staff at the Embassy Suites. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
CharlesHill900, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Hi SMX2005 and thank you for submitting such a great review of your experience! I was touched to see my name along with two of our finest Front Desk Agents (Gracie & Barbara) and best bartenders (Regina & Rose) included in your comments. I believe you contacted me after getting my contact information from a previous Trip Advisor review. I was happy to help and just so glad to see your stay was as enjoyable as you had envisioned. It looks like everything from your arrival and being able to check-in early to the complimentary kiosks in the lobby for internet use to the Breakfast and Manager's Reception exceeded your expectations. I am just so happy to see your comments and cannot wait to share with the staff. Knowing that we made a difference it was it is all about!

As you did before, don't hesitate to get in touch when you are ready to come back. We have a lot to live up to, but I think we are up to the challenge.

Charles.Hill@Hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
DC
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I stayed here one night for a business meeting. The room and bathroom was clean with a good spacious area for work. Internet is extra but that's typical of most hotels I frequent. Walls were thick enough to isolate the noise from my neighbors so that was appreciated since I needed to work - either that or everyone was amazingly quiet which I doubt. However the windows did not offer quite as much sound insulation as I found out early in the morning. I initially had some trouble with the toilet continuously flushing but the staff was willing to quickly resolve the matter although it did stop by itself after 30-40 minutes. Shower had nice water pressure and the water does get hot for those who likes hot showers.

I didn't care since I was there for business but I was a bit surprised how close the adjacent office building was to the hotel. I could easily see into their offices from my window which of course meant that they could see into my room. Needless to say, I kept my curtains closed while I slept.

Location can be a bit tricky to get to if you're not familiar with the area or do not have specific point to point directions before you arrive. However it is convenient for parking as there is a large public parking lot right across the street. The hotel does have valet but I needed easy access to my car so the parking lot was perfect for me. The public parking lot is cash only at $20/day so make sure you have cash ready when leaving.

Elevator arrival was timely unless you needed to go down to the laundry room. I initially thought that's where the conference rooms were and went there by accident and found that the priority was set low to go down to that level - a significantly longer wait than going to the rooms or down to the lobby. It wasn't unbearably long, just took longer than expected.

Complimentary breakfast is a nice touch but I was a bit disappointed as a local who's eaten at Finn & Porter restaurant for dinner, an excellent place to dine. So I had expectations that breakfast would be at least somewhat similar rather than a buffet style breakfast. I was also expecting to pay so clearly I was wrong on both counts. The breakfast itself was typical of most buffets at nicer hotels - nothing great, nothing bad. For those not expecting anything, the breakfast is a perfectly adequate and beats trying to find a nice place to breakfast before heading out.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Hi Oundine and thank you for your review from a recent stay at our hotel! I am so glad to see your comments and get your impression of a stay at the Embassy Suites Washington DC Convention Center. It appears you were traveling for business and we were able to fit your needs. I am guessing this was your first stay at an Embassy Suites and your first Complimentary Cooked-to-Order breakfast experience. I am glad you were able to take advantage of this "perk." I did not see any comments regarding our Manager's Reception which takes place in the evening from 5:30-7:30pm. This is located in a reception area next to the guest elevators and all guests are welcome. We serve complementary beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) along with snacks. Just another way for us to say "Thank you!"

Since you were on business I am guessing you might have a need to revisit DC. If so, I do hope you will be out guest again! We would be happy to have you!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed August 16, 2010

on the day that we were supposed to come there were t-storms and our flight to D.C was canceled.
we came the next morning with the first flight. We got our room , that was the best in our hole trip. big enough for all the 4 of us and very clean. they even gave us what was left of breakfast.
breakfast was very good (long lines if you come late , but who cares...).They were so considerate , that they didn't charge us for the night that we weren't there because of the storm .The staff was very helpfull with directions and explenation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
CharlesHill900, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, August 17, 2010
Hello and Thank You for your review. I see you traveled all the way from Tel Aviv, Israel and chose our hotel out of all those located in the city. From your comments, it sounds like you made the right choice!

We have a general rule at the front desk that if a guest asks to check-in early and we have a room available, we will offer that room. We also keep our doors to breakfast open a little later than the posted time so we can accommodate anyone who might have overslept or arrived in the city early. It might mean that the omelet or cooked-to-order side is closed, but we will still offer fruit, bagels, pastries, juice and coffee, and usually the buffet line until all the cooked food is gone.

We work in a hotel and know that traveling is not always as smooth as you will plan it to be. Planes get delayed, cars breakdown, and directions can get you lost. It is our goal to make sure your stay at our hotel is one thing that does go as planned. We will also do what we can to help get you back on track so you can enjoy what is supposed to be vacation. From your comments it sounds like we were successful in helping turn things around from what was already a stressful day of travel. I will share your comments with our staff to let them know we Made a Difference.

I hope you can come and visit us again!

Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed August 14, 2010

Three families with 4 young children were there to see Washington sites. Good location-walk to Smithsonian etc as well as many choices for dinner. Plenty of room in the suites for 2 adults and 2 children to sleep comfortably. They did a good job handling crowds at breakfast.. Don't plan on much for evening happy hour but nice they do it. Very accomodating to having our rooms close together (no adjoining) , exptra towels etc. Pool is small-best suited for the many kids who used it. Fitness center OK. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Hi Janet67_10 and thank you for your review! It sounds like you were traveling with several other families for a summer trip to Washington DC. I am so glad you choose our hotel and we were able to put everyone close together. Trust me when I say we get this request quite a bit and always do our best to honor these requests. We know how much easier it makes things and how much it means to the children.

I appreciate your comments about the complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast. We do get crowds, but proper planning has enabled us to keep a good flow. I am sorry to hear you were not as satisfied with the selection of snacks at our Managers Reception. We have recently rolled out a new menu to offer a greater variety of items.

The past few months (summer) have gotten us very accustomed to seeing the families roll in on Friday (or Thursday for an extended weekend) and take advantage of great rates to come and see the city. Reading reviews such as yours help reinforce what we are doing right and why guests come back to see us. I appreciate your comments hope you follow through on your last statement about coming back. You are welcome anytime!!

north carolina
Reviewed August 12, 2010

This hotel was definitely worth its price which I found to be very competitive compared to others in the area for suites. Traveling from a long distance we got there a few hours before check in, but they got us into our room within 15 minutes of arrival. Staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. Within a few blocks to CVS store, subway(metro) and public bus was a definite bonus.
Only disappointments were the size of the pool- too small for such a large hotel and a few evenings we literally could not get in to swim. They also charge around 10 dollars for internet service in your room which is a big turnoff, but they had free internet in the lobby at a kiosk center. The service was top notch and the free hot breakfast buffet was very good with numerous items-a huge savings for a family. The rooms were very clean and well taken care of! For the price its a great hotel overall. Wish they would drop the internet charge.
Tip: go on the weekend and take the circulator bus which travels The Mall Loop- I did not realize The Mall area is about 2 miles long which is too much for kids .

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
CharlesHill900, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, August 14, 2010
Hi papadew and thank you for your review! It is great to see you enjoyed your stay with us earlier this month. The one thing that stands out from your review is your satisfaction with our customer service. We realize that Washington DC is full of beautiful hotels, but the one thing that can differentiate us is exceptional hospitality. From what I can tell, our staff passed the test. Regarding the size of our pool, I am sorry you were unable to swim on a few occasions. What I have witnessed occur is the pool will quickly become busy during peak times of the day. Our pool is open for 19 hours during the day and 17 of the hours will be calm and quiet. It is clear that most guests have the same idea about when it is most convenient to swim. As a result, the area can become busy. I also want to mention one thing regarding High Speed Internet Access in the guest rooms. We do have a fee for this service, but as a Gold of Diamond Hilton Honors member you can receive this complimentary. This is just another way to say thank you to our most loyal guests.

As indicated before I believe this was an enjoyable stay. Should you wish to discuss anything in greater detail, don't hesitate to contact me at charles.hill@hilton.com. In the meantime, we will look forward to having you back as a return guest in the future.

Arizona
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Our double room was booked weeks in advance, but upon our arrival we were told the reserved room type was not available and that we would have to take a single king for our family of four. Tip: Don't pre-pay for your entire reservation in case you want to find a different location. We were told to "read the fine print" concerning our online reservation and then when we asked for a roll-away bed, desk clerk said he couldn't help us. One person, Henik, had a better idea of customer service and stuck around and got us the roll-away and helped to fulfill promises made to us to switch to the correct room the next day. That is the finest employee that they have on the premises and we stayed ONLY because of him. I abhor starting a relaxing family vacation like this.

Don't even bother trying to print anything using the internet kiosks in the lobby or from the room. The kiosk and room printers didn't work for our entire 6 night stay. Print jobs from the room just kept saying, "try again later" for hours. The desk clerks allowed me to print tickets and boarding passes from their computers and even I realize that they went above and beyond the call of duty and I was very grateful, but it was frustrating wasting vacation time trying to use offered services that didn't function.

LAN cord is available for easy connection to in-room internet at a cost of $9.95 a day, so if cost is an issue, go to the Starbuck's across the street.

Room service was very good, but shuts down pretty early for westies flying in, so head to one of the CVS pharmacies close by for late night snacks. Good variety at reasonable prices to stock your room.

The elevators were often very slippery, so be careful. Pool water and spilled drinks were a perpetual problem.

Rooms were thoroughly cleaned, if anything was missed, the staff would respond quickly. The coffee service is well stocked. It would be nice if they provided some dishware and cutlery for room use. Microwave and fridge were new and in good condition.

TVs were new, HD and in great operating order. Sleep machines with aux cord for music players worked well. Lap desk for writing, reading and computing is a thoughtful touch.

Rooms are situated well and very comfortable. Little signs of wear or damage on furniture. Son said sleeper sofa was comfy and we liked the pillow top beds and down pillows very much. Room-darkening drapes very effective for late sleepers.

Evening meals at the Finn and Porter restaurant went well and the food was good. The breakfasts were crowded and seemed like a high school cafeteria. Lines criss-crossed and with trays of hot food and coffee, they are an accident waiting to happen. Seemed to create more stress for families with youngsters than it alleviated with a "free" meal. Stressful for me dodging the little darlings. ;)

The location was good and very close to Trolley, City buses, restaurants, Ford's Theater, Chinatown, etc. Walking was easy and cabs were always lined up at the hotel to take you wherever you wished to go.

Family enjoyed the fitness center. It was well-equipped and machines were easily accessible. Towels and water cooler available.

We have stayed at Hilton chains across the country and this one was comparable to most, but if you are expecting luxurious convenience and efficiency, then I would choose another place to stay. Check, double check and re-check that your reservation will be serviced as requested. - fine print or not.

1 Thank DesertSkyHigh
CharlesHill900, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, August 3, 2010
Hi DesertSkyHigh and thank you for your review. I am so glad to see all your feedback from your stay in July. While I can understand your frustration on a couple issues (i will address each of them), it seems as though you were able to not let them ruin your impression of our hotel. I always welcome feedback, whether constructive or positive. Let me try to tackle some of the issues you raised.

You mention that you booked a room with two double beds, but were given a room with a king bed at arrival. While I am sure this was done when it occurred, let me first apologize. Regardless of whose fault it is, I know how frustrating it can be to not have or get what you are counting on. While I can't address the specifics of your issue since your room number and dates of stay were not mentioned I can comment that it is not our practice to change room types for any guests arriving to anything other than what they have reserved or requested. I have certainly not coached or trained any of our staff to use verbiage that points a guest back to the "fine print", but I would be happy to discuss in more detail if you would like to contact me directly. My email address is charles.hill@hilton.com. What I think might have occurred and I can confirm has happened in the past with other guests is the use of a 3rd party website (i.e. Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, etc) to book the room only to find that the room type booked at the hotel is different they what they have been promised by the 3rd party. In each of these instances it has been acknowledged by the 3rd party that we did not make a mistake. One tip that might be useful is that booking a room through embassysuites.com will guarantee you the lowest published rate possible. The perception is that 3rd party websites can get you a lower rate, but that is not true with Hilton Hotels. I am glad to see that our bellman Henok was able to help make things right by getting a rollaway bed and making sure you were transferred into a room with two double beds the next day. We must have rented a rollaway from another property, but if that is what it took to help make the situation right I am glad we did. I will be sure to share your comments with Henok and make sure we recognize him appropriately.

You also talked about not being able to print from the internet kiosk in our lobby. I am sorry you experienced difficulty. I must admit this is the first I am hearing about this issue. We provide 12 total computers complimentary for guest use and they definitely get used throughout the day. Nine times out of ten the issue is as simple as putting more paper in the printer. Regardless, I will be sure to test each of them myself so we can prevent further frustration for future guests.

I do see you were able to take part in our complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast in the morning, but mentioned it was busier than you would have preferred. We certainly do get a very high guest turnout since it is complimentary, but would mention that the traffic will vary based on the time of the morning. The later hours of the morning seem to be the busiest with most families opting to sleep in and get a little extra rest, especially if they are traveling from the west.

Overall your comments are widely positive and despite a few "bumps" it appears you enjoyed your stay. Should you have the opportunity to come back through DC we would be delighted to have you as our guest again. In fact, please feel free to contact me directly so I can assist with your reservation and ensure you get not only the lowest rate we are offering, but to ensure no confusion with your room type. My email again is charles.hill@hilton.com. Thank you again I will look forward to hearing from you!

Bogota
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Besides the excellent location and facilities, hotel staff is warm adn kind. Due to the high temperatures, when every guest was leaving hotel, they offer a free water bottles. Very good idea. Also breakfast is abundant and the preparation of the ommeletes is amazing. "Ommelet man" is impresionant preparing 10 high quality eggs at tjhe same time. And delicious. Congratulation to him. Really i recomend this hotel as your hotel in DC.Finally the suites are big and spacious perfect for kids (2 TV´s)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
It seems as though you were pleased with your choice after staying at our hotel. I am guessing this was part of a family vacation and I am glad to see all the positive comments. It really goes a long way when I share comments about our friendly staff with the team. It is our goal to provide friendly and hospitable service and your review reinforces the difference it can make. I will also make a point to share your comments with our "Omelet Man." Raymond has been a cook in our Complimentary Cooked-to-order breakfast since the day we opened in Nov. '05 and he has been receiving comment cards ever since. I still don't know how he is able to juggle that many orders on top of remembering what you ordered the day before. We are lucky to have him on our team.

Should you have the opportunity to come back to Washington DC I hope you will come and be our guest again. Raymond will probably even remember your omelet order! :)