Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center
Ranked #30 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Greater Melbourne, Australia
“Great time in DC”
Reviewed April 22, 2007

Just got back from 3 nights in DC and had a fantastic time at the Embassy Suites DC Convention Center. The staff were excellent and the value outstanding (hot breakfast and 2 hour free drinks each night) while the quality of the accommodations was excellent. We were only a few blocks from the Circulator bus but really it was only a few blocks to walk to the Mall and we did this with our three kids (10,8 and 5) a few times with no complaints.

The pool is small but clean and safe and the kids enjoyed it a lot. There are lots of windows in the pool area making it feel pretty open and some sun makes it's way in later in the day. I went down to the bar and was happily given some drinks in plastic cups that we could drink in the pool area while we watched the kids play, a great way to wind down after a busy day on the Mall. I would highly recommend this hotel on all counts except perhaps the room service food which wasn't that great, but it wasn't too expensive either. Anyway plenty of restaurant options close by. Breakfast is included in the room rate and pretty decent.

We would go back tomorrow.

• Liked — Clean, reasonable price, location, value
1 Thank Stiffies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Michigan
Reviewed April 14, 2007

As many of the other reviews stated: it's a nice hotel, it's clean, and the location is relatively safe and convenient. Yes, the corner suites are nice & they do have flat panel televisions in the "living room" area. The pool wasn't large, but it was open until midnight. They had complimentary gourmet personal-sized pizzas and hot appetizers, as well as beer/wine/liquor, during the evening reception.

My biggest gripe was the staff's behavior during the free breakfast period. Although I did not get cut off from the breakfast, I witnessed many others who were. I slipped in there at 9:25 AM one morning (breakfast ended at 9:30 AM) and was told that I was the last in line for the made-to-order omelettes. Between 9:25 AM and 9:29 AM, several others showed up and were told that the omelette line was closed. When they complained that it wasn't yet 9:30, the staff said "Sorry, but we've closed the line." One morning, I witnessed one of the omelette chefs telling a hostess that she was to cut the line off early enough that they were done cooking no later than 9:30 AM. Since when do the omelette chefs determine the closing time?

If you showed up between 9:25 AM and 9:29 AM, you could still go to the buffet line (pre-made scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc.), but things were cold & not being replenished at that point.

At 9:29 AM, people were turned away from the free breakfast altogether.

One morning, I witnessed the dining room management pushing the staff to close up the buffet lines, coffee service, cereal, etc. in "record time." So, instead of closing the self-service area/buffet line at the usual 9:35 AM (i.e. for those who had successfully made it into the dining room before 9:29 AM), it was closed promptly at 9:30 AM on that particular morning. It would have been nice if they'd put the same amount of effort into ensuring that the coffee, milk, syrup dispensers weren't empty, and that basic necessities like trays, silverware, and coffee cups were available right up until 9:30 AM.

The staff was also very anxious to get everyone cleared out of the dining room. They were determined to have every single table cleared of breakfast dishes, then set and ready for lunch by 10:00 AM sharp. (Last time I checked, lunch service began at 11:00 AM, so I'm not sure what the big rush was about.)

I've stayed at many Embassy Suites locations (business and pleasure) and have NEVER seen the breakfast buffet or made-to-order omelette lines cut off right at the designated end times....let alone 5+ minutes early. They have always been very friendly and relaxed, making sure that everyone had enough to eat before closing down the buffets and self-service areas.

So, if you stay at this location, make sure you're down to the dining room AND in the line(s) at least 10 minutes before the designated closing time. Even earlier if you actually want time to chew your food before swallowing and finish your coffee. Even better, if you're arriving close to closing time, just load up a tray or two and take it up to your room. You can reheat the cold stuff and enjoy your food at a relaxed pace.

• Liked — View from 2nd floor pool area & evening reception
  • Disliked — Attitude of staff during breakfast hours
5 Thank ZuKeeper
New Jersey
Reviewed April 12, 2007

My family checked into the Embassy Suites on Sunday, 4/8 and stayed 3 nights. We were traveling with 3 children (10, 8, 1).

Room - We had a one bedroom suite and it had 2 full size beds in the bedroom, a living area with a sofa bed, a kitchenette, a bathroom, and 2 TVs (1 in bedroom and 1 in living room). It was tastyfully decorated, furniture looks new, and very clean. The small fridge came in handy for drinks, etc.

Location - Hotel was close to all the attractions. Close to Chinatown and that's where CVS is located. We shopped there several times for drinks and medicine. We used the Circulator bus one day so we can get to more sights without walking. If you want to take the Circulator--it's just $3/person per day and you can ride it as many times as you want! It was very convenient and well worth the price. There aren't too many restaurants near the hotel. You have to walk around and search them out but they're nearby. I saw Ruby Tuesday, McCormick & Schmicks, Hardrock Cafe.

Breakfast - The complimentary breakfast every morning was great! Made to order omeletts were my favorite and the kids love that there were so MANY choices! My advice is to get there early. If you get there after 8:30 am, the lines are horrendous! I could not believe how long the lines were one morning. I noticed they had paper boxes one morning for the guests to take the breakfast back to the room. Some guests just take the tray with the dishes and food up to their room.

Service - I asked for a crib and it was brought up to my room in 20 minutes. I also asked for extra blankets several hours later and they were brought to my room in the same amount of time. All employees were friendly and helpful.

Valet Parking - We didn't use our car during our stay. Parking was very expensive, $28/day, if I remember correctly. Then there's parking taxi in addition to the daily rate!!

We had a very nice stay at the Embassy Suites and this is my first time staying at an Embassy Suites and it won't be our last. I didn't give it a 5-star rating because of the long breakfast lines. They should find a way for better crowd control but I don't know what they can do about it. Also, the pool is small and the water did not look right. It was a murky, greenish color, when it should be a crystal clear blue color. I didn't let my kids swim in it because of it.

• Liked — The complimentary breakfast, room with comfortable beds, 2 TVs.
  • Disliked — The long lines at breakfast.
2 Thank Margalita4NJ
Washington, DC
Reviewed April 9, 2007

Stayed at the Embassy Suites, Convention Center over the Easter holiday. It was absolutely full... with kids everywhere. If you like to hear the sounds of screaming, crying five year olds at night, stay here...

The valet kept losing my keys. That was irritating. (By the way, it costs $24 to park your car for 24 hours.) The breakfast buffet was ample (pancakes, bacon/sausage and the like, but it was generally cold. You can stand in a long line and get an omlet to your liking, though. The Manager's reception, while crowded, was alright... munchees were available (if the kids didn't get to them first...) at least there was free alcohol to help you out after a long day.

Housekeeping was just as swift as the valets. They had no more pillows in the hotel. It took two calls to get some lotion.

On the plus side, the rooms were large for Washington, and there was a microwave and a small refrigerator if you needed it. It is a new hotel, and it shows.

Will I stay here again. For the right price. (And maybe not on a long weekend... I need a grown-up hotel.)

• Liked — Large Rooms
  • Disliked — Service
2 Thank jobhuntin
NY
Reviewed April 9, 2007

Stayed at Embassy Suites Convention Center for 3 nights with 2 children. It was a great hotel, great breakfast in the morning. We were there one of the busiest weeks of the year, and the staff were completely helpful. Parking the car was easy, it was just all around a great experience.
Hotel is clean, pool is clean, and staff is very efficient and helpful. Would definetely reccomend this hotel to anyone with a family staying the DC area. One benefit we didn't know until we got there, was the Metro (Metro Center) was across one block and we could access it through the Grand Hyatt. Metro Center is a hub for all the lines. We could get to the National Mall, in 4 minutes taking the Metro. It was just great.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Location
  • Disliked — Nothing!
New York
Reviewed April 8, 2007

My family of five (kids ages 12, 12, and 2) stayed here this past Easter weekend and absolutely loved it!

The location was incredible, we could walk just about anywhere. The hotel was extremely clean and we had a room with a view that was amazing. We were in room 1501; we could see the Washington Monument and Capitol Building from our room. There were fireworkds over the Washington Channel Saturday night and we sat in the warmth and luxury of our room and watched them. They were beautiful....

The staff was extremely friendly and accomodating. The made to order breakfast each morning was delicious and always warm and replenished.

We did a lot of sightseeing in a few days so having the hotel centrally located was great for us. We could walk just about anywhere.....

We ordered in one night from Pizza Boli's I think it was called and it was very good and hot and quick. So highly recommend them...

Overall we had a wonderful trip and with the Embassy Suites being such a wonderful find it made it all the sweeter......

P.S. - One negative; the pool was small and on the cool side....the kids didn't seem to mind but mom was shivering.....
but not a very big deal for us......

• Liked — Location, location, location....
  • Disliked — Pool a bit cold....l....
1 Thank nymomofthree
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 28, 2007

We really liked this hotel! My husband, myself and my 18 year old daughter stayed at this Embassy Suites Fri - Sun, March 23 - 25.

Unlike the experiences of some other reviewers, we found all the staff to be very helpful and friendly. The hotel was busy but not full. We were never at the hotel during the Manager's Reception but did eat breakfast there everyday. The food was very good and there was plenty of seating.

The room was beautiful and the beds comfortable. We all commented several times on how fast the elevators came. We did not use the pool but did come to the hot tub at the end of the day. The pool and hot tub were open until midnight which we liked.

The metro station is a short walk from the hotel and we took it all over town.

I would definately stay here again.

• Liked — Staff and room size
  • Disliked — Pull out bed could have been a little better
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family