Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center
Ranked #32 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Montreal, Canada
“Perfect hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

After a bad experience in our last hotel in New York City, my family and I decided to stay at a nice place. We stop at the Embassy Suites without reservation and the man at the front desk offer us a really good price. He gives us a deal for a King size suite for the price of a regular room. Our suite was very nice. Clean, big, comfortable and nice. We were able to see the Capitol from our room. With the stay, you can have free breakfast and free drink at the end of the day. If you like omelettes, the cook can make you a big one for free. The only negative point is the parking fees. It's about 33$ per day. Alson, there is no Wi-Fi in the room. The Internet is with cable only in the room.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CharlesHill900, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, July 22, 2010
I am so glad to see that we helped you rebound from a bad experience in NYC. From your review it sounds like the Front Desk was able to upgrade you to a corner room with a view. We do have a few that have a view of the Capitol and Washington Monument. If we are sold out or busy, they are always the first to go. It is great to hear you were able to take advantage of the Complimentary Cooked-to-order breakfast and Manager's Reception. We like to help you start the day right with a good breakfast and relax in the evening with a couple drinks...on the house. I understand your concern about the parking, but I assure you we are competitively priced with the area. There are also alternative "lots" that are less expensive, but they do not have 24 hour service or the same security as our garage. If you plan to drive to the city, I do recommend parking with the hotel. Lastly, I see your comment about wireless internet in the guest rooms. I am happy to say we are in the process of getting wireless installed throughout the hotel. I do not have a date of completion at this moment, but it is a project we have bumped into 2010 and given top priority. I should add that we do have wireless available in the Lobby and Restaurant along with complimentary kiosks.

Thank you for sharing your experience at the hotel. I hope we have the opportunity to host you again on your next trip to Washington DC.

Charles Hill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
SF, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

I was in DC for a conference. We chose the Embassy Suites because it was close to the Convention Center. This is a top of the line Embassy Suites - immaculate rooms and good breakfast food. The staff was friendly and helpful, from the front desk to the concierge to the staff in the bar. A real treat was the GREAT food at reasonable prices we had in the bar one evening. I’d return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It is always a treat to read a positive review or comment from a guest. I am happy to take the constructive comments so we can improve, but a satisfied guest is the best possible end result. I am glad you mentioned our proximity to the Convention Center. We are only a block and a half walking distance (less than 5 minutes) to the front doors making us a prime location for citywide groups. I am not sure if you were able to venture out and explore the sites, but we are conveniently located to the National Mall (Smithsonian Museums), Chinatown/Gallery Place/Verizon Center, as well as Metro accessible. In terms of hotels in Washington DC, we have the best of both worlds. Whether business or leisure, you are never far away. I am delighted to see your comments about our "friendly" and "helpful" staff. If you feel the hospitality when staying in our hotel, we have done our jobs. Your review was not extensive so it sounds like you could use some more time in the city to take advantage of the attractions. We will look forward to having you back as one of our guests.

Czech/Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

Spacious rooms, very friendly personel, good location, fantastic breakfast

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Clemson, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

Couldn't have asked for a better hotel experience. The rooms were comfortable and very clean. The complimentary breakfast offered great variety, so every family member was happy with the choices. The location of the hotel is perfect for easy access to DC sightseeing locations. Parking fee is pricey, but worth the price when dealing with DC parking. Most of all, the level of customer service that the hotel staff offers is some of the best that I have encountered. Wonderful experience for our entire family!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
What a great review! I am so happy to see you had a positive experience at our hotel. I have mentioned this in my previous responses, but I will say it again....it is all about customer service for us. We have a new hotel (only 4 1/2 years old) so the product is there, but it is all about hospitality. We work very hard to make a difference for all our guests and to see you comments about our service being some of the best you have encountered, I thank you. I will share this with our entire team so we can celebrate this success. I am also glad to see you mention how convenient we are for sights and attractions. I also concur regarding the parking. I understand it seems high, but compared to surrounding hotels we are at the lower end in terms of cost. Most of all, it is easy and hassle free. Our garage is secured below the hotel and does not allow access to the public. No need to feed meters or walk to the nearest garage to save a few dollars. Thank you again for sharing your comments regarding your stay. I hope to you have the opportunity to travel back up north our way. As a fellow ACC supporter I will even give you a GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!

austin, tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

We stayed at the Embassy Suites over the July 4th holiday. It was an extremely crowded weekend in DC, but we loved the city and this hotel. We were traveling with 2 kids - ages 7 and 11 - so we needed a hotel with some extra space that was easy to get to. This one was terrific.

The location is great, just 3 blocks to the Metro Center station. You can also walk to many of the local sights within 10-20 minutes with kids.

Staff was gracious and courteous. We checked-in within 5 minutes. When we requested extra pillows and blankets, they were there within 10 minutes. Every staff member was friendly and helpful. Rooms were very clean each day.

Only issue was that the free breakfast was very crowded each morning. By 8:00am, it is very crowded. However, this was a minor issue and we would highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
One thing I highly recommend to anyone who has not done so it to come to Washington DC for the 4th of July at least once. Just as NYC has New Year's Eve, DC has the 4th of July. It is always a given we will be sold out because of the exact reason you stated in your review. Because having a suite is just so much easier when traveling with a family. Another great perk is the accessibility of Metro. We are just two blocks away from the nearest stop (Metro Center) that can get you where you need to go easily and quickly. Metro Center is one of the hubs for the Metro creating convenient access throughout the city. I am glad to hear you found out staff to be attentive and responsive to your requests. In regards to your comments about breakfast, I am sorry you found it to be so crowded. We have taken extra steps to make sure we communicate the busier and slower times during breakfast hours. Generally speaking you will face much shorter lines or wait times earlier in the morning. I spoke with a number of guests that weekend that took this advice and came just before 8am to find almost no lines. It would appear you must have come down along with a number of other guests just after this lull. I do appreciate your understanding.

What a treat to know we were part of a great holiday experience for you and your family. I thank you for your feedback and would like to invite you back again next year to do it all over again!

Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

I was in DC for a conference and brought my family along. It was at the convention center and I didn't even realize until I walked there the first time how amazingly close it was! The second best thing was staying in a suite so that family and colleagues could hang out in the living room. The room was comfortable, and the bed was perfect. The pull out sofa (that I didn't have to sleep on) was reportedly very uncomfortable but my daughter didn't seem to mind too much.

The complimentary breakfast was a welcome bonus. The food was fairly good, and there was a good variety of choices. I didn't choose to stand in the line for the custom made breakfast because I didn't want to wait. Didn't make it to the complimentary manager's reception but it was a nice option.

Lack of complimentary internet was annoying, but not unexpected -- I did use the kiosks in the lobby to check e-mail and check in for my returning flight.

The staff at the hotel was very friendly. Everyone we interacted with was pleasant and accommodating. We asked the concierge to recommend a "monument by moonlight" bus pickup. The tour was full but she had reserved a couple of spots just in case so we were able to go. It was super hot so I was dismayed that the bus didn't have air conditioning but the conductor was truly amazing! He made the trip super memorable and was full of interesting stories and facts.

The only other issue I had was that the rug in front of the bathroom area was wet for much of the time we were there...I mentioned this to the front desk and they sent an engineer up to check for leaks but there were none. I think the people before us must have just stepped out of the bathroom soaking wet...It dried by the day we left.

The pool was disappointing -- very small and full of rowdy kids, but I understand that a lot of families stay here.

All in all a great place that I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you LizfromBuffalo for sharing your experience. It is nice to see you overall felt our hotel and your stay were up to standards. When traveling with the family, or even business, it sure is nice to have a separated living area that everyone can use to sit a rest or catch-up. I remember my days when I worked in Sales and I stayed at non-suite properties. When all you can do is congregate around the bed you sleep in at night, you choose to stay out of the room with family or friends as much as possible. I have always felt the suite concept makes for a better and more home like environment. The complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast certainly makes for a great start to the day. If you are used to staying at a different brand or chain of hotels, I would agree that this is a nice "bonus." I'm glad you were able to find the complimentary internet kiosks in our lobby. I should also mention that if you travel with your own computer and want to avoid paying the access charge, we have a complimentary port located in our business center that you are welcome to plug into anytime. If you don't need your computer than the internet kiosks with printers on the back are the easiest option. I am so glad you found our staff to be friendly and hospitable. Regarding the wet carpet outside your bathroom, I do apologize. I cannot speak to exact the cause since I don't know which room you stayed in, but I assure you this is not a normal occurrence. I am also sorry to hear the pool was crowded and rowdy. You must have stayed with us on the weekend or perhaps around the 4th of July holiday. This is welcome feedback so that we can prevent any type of rowdy behavior next time. I will look to put something or someone in place the next time we expect a large amount of families to prevent a reoccurrence.

I hope your travels bring you back to the DC area again and that we have the chance to help create more positive memories in the city. Should you have any additional feedback or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me at charles.hill@hilton.com.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel over the July fourth weekend; I had not stayed at this particular property before, but had visited the Embassy Suites in Chicago previously so I had an idea what to expect. I can safely say this was a pleasant stay, but there were a few opportunities that I found a tad problematic.

Due to the logistical challenges of us meeting together from various cities and airports, we arrived at different times. The desk staff were pleasant and accommodating; I first entered the room to find the air conditioning off, which was a bit of a surprise given the warm day. My room was furnished with a fold-out bed in a front living area and bedroom that had two queen size beds and a rather antiquated 26" tube television. The living area featured a newer flat-screen model television and work station equipped with multiple electrical outlets for charging electronics. I was quite surprised to find the hotel did not offer wireless service in the rooms at all; there was an ethernet connection available, which I did not use. I was also quite surprised to find wireless access was offered on the lobby floor for a fee; considering there is a Starbucks across the street that offers free wireless access, I can't see a lot of guests taking advantage of this option.

There are computer kiosks located adjacent to the elevators for a quick check of email and other websites; however, I was amazed to find that a social networking website like Facebook was blocked from use on at least one of the kiosks.

Our family also took advantage of the concierge services when we were all hot, tired, didn't want to walk somewhere else to eat, and opted to order pizza in for the evening. The concierge supplied two options for us, but one of the restaurants was out of business when we tried to order. (Nationals Pizza)

The furnishings in our other room at the end of the hall showed some damage; the finish was cracking off the front, and it appeared to have possibly sustained some water damage at one time or another. That room also featured a handicapped-access shower, which meant the bathroom floor would commonly flood most of the walking surface after showering. We also noticed on multiple occasions room service trays sat in the hallway overnight into the morning before they were picked up.

There is an indoor pool available on the second floor; it was heavily used by the younger set. It appeared to be slightly larger than a lap pool.

A complimentary breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant as well as the room normally used for the manager's reception in the early evening. I found it much easier to navigate the breakfast line in the reception room rather than in the restaurant. The restaurant staff were extremely friendly and very pleasant as they engaged guests while they cleared tables.

Overall, this was a good visit. This hotel is easily accessible for both the Metro as well as a quick walk to several attractions in the area. I would be glad to stay here again, though I still find it extremely frustrating this hotel doesn't offer complimentary wireless access in the lobby. I would also expect a hotel of this caliber would be able to execute some of the smaller details more efficiently; I would hope this was an exception due to the busy holiday weekend rather than the rule.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for such a thorough and complete review. It is obvious you pay attention to the details and have a good understanding of what to look for when traveling. I will try to address some of the issues you raised in your review.

It is not a standard for the AC unit in any room to be turned off. We have a set standard for the temperature, but it should always be on so that it is an easy transition for the guest when you first enter. I personally inspect a number of rooms each day and have not observed this as an issue, but will pay special attention in the coming days and weeks. I see you mentioned the TV's as well. We do have HD compatible televisions in every living area and I am currently in the process of planning a hotel renovation that will include the replacement of all non-HD TV's. No timeline on this just yet, but it is in the works as we speak. Regarding the lack of wireless coverage in the suites, this is actually something I am getting done now. It was originally a project for 2011, but we have bumped in up due to overwhelming demand. Expect this change in the coming months. As you mentioned, we do offer wireless access in our lobby and restaurant. It is not free, but if you pay for access in the room it transfers to anywhere else in the building. Your IP address will be recognized so you won't have to worry about any additional fees. I am glad you were able to take advantage of the complimentary kiosks that have 3 separate computers and a printer. I see you mentioned that facebook was not accessible on at least on workstation and I will work to get this corrected. As you can imagine, these computers do have filters for inappropriate content, but facebook should be available.

In the suite that you mention had cracking, I would be interested in getting more details. I am not aware of any problems that give the impression of "water damage." If you wouldn't mind sharing the room number you were in, please feel free to contact me at charles.hill@hilton.com.

I appreciate the feedback regarding room service trays left outside guestrooms. We do have a system in place were trays are retrieved after use, but if they are put outside late enough it is possible they would be missed. This is another item I will look to monitor as I do my rounds and inspections.

Overall you have provided excellent feedback. I am especially glad to see that the interactions with our staff (breakfast crew in particular) were so positive. The constructive items are very helpful and will give us room for improvement. It does sound like you might have stayed over the 4th of July holiday where we were sold out with 100% families. This is one of the few exceptions where the hotel is busier than normal. Not that we don't prepare for having so many guests, but inevitably you will find more guests wherever you go (i.e. breakfast, manager's reception, the pool, etc.). I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and I am hoping we will have the opportunity to make an even better impression on your next stay.