“More good than bad...but a few opportunities.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center
Ranked #33 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“More good than bad...but a few opportunities.”
Reviewed July 9, 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel over the July fourth weekend; I had not stayed at this particular property before, but had visited the Embassy Suites in Chicago previously so I had an idea what to expect. I can safely say this was a pleasant stay, but there were a few opportunities that I found a tad problematic.

Due to the logistical challenges of us meeting together from various cities and airports, we arrived at different times. The desk staff were pleasant and accommodating; I first entered the room to find the air conditioning off, which was a bit of a surprise given the warm day. My room was furnished with a fold-out bed in a front living area and bedroom that had two queen size beds and a rather antiquated 26" tube television. The living area featured a newer flat-screen model television and work station equipped with multiple electrical outlets for charging electronics. I was quite surprised to find the hotel did not offer wireless service in the rooms at all; there was an ethernet connection available, which I did not use. I was also quite surprised to find wireless access was offered on the lobby floor for a fee; considering there is a Starbucks across the street that offers free wireless access, I can't see a lot of guests taking advantage of this option.

There are computer kiosks located adjacent to the elevators for a quick check of email and other websites; however, I was amazed to find that a social networking website like Facebook was blocked from use on at least one of the kiosks.

Our family also took advantage of the concierge services when we were all hot, tired, didn't want to walk somewhere else to eat, and opted to order pizza in for the evening. The concierge supplied two options for us, but one of the restaurants was out of business when we tried to order. (Nationals Pizza)

The furnishings in our other room at the end of the hall showed some damage; the finish was cracking off the front, and it appeared to have possibly sustained some water damage at one time or another. That room also featured a handicapped-access shower, which meant the bathroom floor would commonly flood most of the walking surface after showering. We also noticed on multiple occasions room service trays sat in the hallway overnight into the morning before they were picked up.

There is an indoor pool available on the second floor; it was heavily used by the younger set. It appeared to be slightly larger than a lap pool.

A complimentary breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant as well as the room normally used for the manager's reception in the early evening. I found it much easier to navigate the breakfast line in the reception room rather than in the restaurant. The restaurant staff were extremely friendly and very pleasant as they engaged guests while they cleared tables.

Overall, this was a good visit. This hotel is easily accessible for both the Metro as well as a quick walk to several attractions in the area. I would be glad to stay here again, though I still find it extremely frustrating this hotel doesn't offer complimentary wireless access in the lobby. I would also expect a hotel of this caliber would be able to execute some of the smaller details more efficiently; I would hope this was an exception due to the busy holiday weekend rather than the rule.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
CharlesHill900, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, July 22, 2010
Thank you for such a thorough and complete review. It is obvious you pay attention to the details and have a good understanding of what to look for when traveling. I will try to address some of the issues you raised in your review.

It is not a standard for the AC unit in any room to be turned off. We have a set standard for the temperature, but it should always be on so that it is an easy transition for the guest when you first enter. I personally inspect a number of rooms each day and have not observed this as an issue, but will pay special attention in the coming days and weeks. I see you mentioned the TV's as well. We do have HD compatible televisions in every living area and I am currently in the process of planning a hotel renovation that will include the replacement of all non-HD TV's. No timeline on this just yet, but it is in the works as we speak. Regarding the lack of wireless coverage in the suites, this is actually something I am getting done now. It was originally a project for 2011, but we have bumped in up due to overwhelming demand. Expect this change in the coming months. As you mentioned, we do offer wireless access in our lobby and restaurant. It is not free, but if you pay for access in the room it transfers to anywhere else in the building. Your IP address will be recognized so you won't have to worry about any additional fees. I am glad you were able to take advantage of the complimentary kiosks that have 3 separate computers and a printer. I see you mentioned that facebook was not accessible on at least on workstation and I will work to get this corrected. As you can imagine, these computers do have filters for inappropriate content, but facebook should be available.

In the suite that you mention had cracking, I would be interested in getting more details. I am not aware of any problems that give the impression of "water damage." If you wouldn't mind sharing the room number you were in, please feel free to contact me at charles.hill@hilton.com.

I appreciate the feedback regarding room service trays left outside guestrooms. We do have a system in place were trays are retrieved after use, but if they are put outside late enough it is possible they would be missed. This is another item I will look to monitor as I do my rounds and inspections.

Overall you have provided excellent feedback. I am especially glad to see that the interactions with our staff (breakfast crew in particular) were so positive. The constructive items are very helpful and will give us room for improvement. It does sound like you might have stayed over the 4th of July holiday where we were sold out with 100% families. This is one of the few exceptions where the hotel is busier than normal. Not that we don't prepare for having so many guests, but inevitably you will find more guests wherever you go (i.e. breakfast, manager's reception, the pool, etc.). I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and I am hoping we will have the opportunity to make an even better impression on your next stay.

Charles Hill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for three nights/four days. The staff was lovely and the breakfast buffet and reception hour were excellent. The children enjoyed the pool after a long hot day sightseeing.The concierge was excellent at providing directions and pointing out sights to see and places to eat. The only complaint I have is that the room we were given was clean but very worn. The carpets were stained and the furniture was badly scratched. I expecting more for the price and a relatively new hotel. Overall a lovely place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Hi newyorkfamily47 and thank you for your review! It sounds like you had a very nice trip to Washington DC that I am sure included many of the sights and attractions around the city. I am glad you enjoyed the Complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast as well as the Manager's Reception an even the pool. Even more exciting to me is your feedback about the staff. I love to hear from a guest that is satisfied with our service. I can also appreciate your comments about the room. I would be very interested to investigate and see what room you were in. If you are willing to share, please feel free to contact me at charles.hill@hilton.com. We have an extensive deep cleaning and preventative maintenance program in place to counteract what you are describing.

Once again I appreciate your candid review and am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us in DC. I hope to hear from you regarding the room and look forward to the opportunity to have you as our guest again.

Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We had a great stay at the hotel for 4 days over the 4th. I believe it was a totally full house, but the service didn't suffer - it was exceptional. The rooms and common areas were clean, the staff were smiling and helpful and the room service and restaurant people were prompt and friendly. The location is ideal and close to restaurants, shopping, museums and the like. We wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
CharlesHill900, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2010
Hi pegspeanut and thank you for your review! I am so glad you had the opportunity to stay with us over the 4th of July. I can confirm that we were at 100% occupancy and it was mostly made up of families. We put a lot of preparation into planning and staffing for the 4th of July because we have come to expect a higher volume of guests. I am so glad to see that you felt we were still on top of our game. It is even better to read that you felt our team members were hospitable. As you mentioned, we are very close to just about everything you want to do in the city including a number of restaurants. Other than the hotel's restaurant, Finn & Porter, which specializes in steak and seafood along with a number sandwiches and salads, Washington DC does have a large and unique selection of restaurants. We are within walking distance of so many and a quick cab or metro ride to a number of others that are well known and busy. With such a large selection, DC is what you would call a "foodie's" town. We do have a number of chains, but lots of unique and local places.

While I am always excited to see such positive comments, I am open to any constructive feedback. If you think of anything that might be helpful to share, don't hesitate to contact me at charles.hill@hilton.com. I will look forward to having you back as our guest on your next trip to DC.

toronto
Reviewed July 5, 2010

This hotel was better than I had expected from reading other trip advisor reviews. The hotel was very busy for 4th of July weekend but everything ran smoothly. Breakfast was great and the queues well signed. The omelette cook was amazing to watch. Free drinks and snacks during happy hour are a nice gesture. The swimming pool was small, very clean but crowded with 16 children on a busy weekend. The staff were helpful and all had a pleasant attitude. The hotel was well situated for the circulator bus, a cheap, efficient way to access the main tourist sites. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting comments from your recent stay over the 4th of July. This was a very busy time for the hotel and all throughout the city. I am so glad to see we exceeded your expectations as a hotel. I see you did your research and read reviews from previous guests to help make an informed decision. Well, I am glad you did and from your review it appears you feel it was the right decision as well. I am so glad you mentioned our omelette chef that cooks during the Complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast. He truly is amazing to watch. I can't tell you how many comments we have received about Raymond. I have seen him juggle 9-10 omelettes at once, with each one just as it was ordered and cooked perfectly. It really is a show! It is also nice to hear positive comments about our staff. We all take great pride in providing excellent service and hospitality. I do hope you have a need to come to DC again so we can be your hotel of choice in the city.

Director of Rooms
Orland Park, Illinois
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We spent 5 days at Embassy Suites with our 2 grandchildren enjoying the sights and sounds of Washington DC!! The location was perfect. We were close to the Metro station and utilized that everyday. We actually walked home from the National Mall area twice. It wasn't that bad at all. The kids used the pool everyday, we went to the 'happy hour' almost everyday as well. We took advantage of the breakfast every morning. Food was adequate except for the made to order line. It was above average. The gentleman cooking was a pleasure to watch and couldn't have been more friendly and gracious. All in all we really enjoyed our stay and would go back without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for posting a review regarding your experience at our hotel. It would appear we lived up to and even exceeded your expectations. I see you made a point to visit the pool, Manager's Reception and even Complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast each day. Seeing your comments about the omelette chef means so much. They work so hard behind that line (especially when we have a full house) and I can't wait to share your review. They really strive to help every guest enjoy the experience. Lastly, it appears that you enjoyed your stay so much you would stay with us again. I will consider that a promise. We can't wait to see you again!

Director of Rooms
Blacksburg, VA
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I was recently in Washington, D.C. on business and stayed at the Embassy Suites mainly due to its proximity to the Convention Center. The location was perfect not only close to the Convention Center but to good restaurants and museums. I have stayed at Embassy Suites before so I was familiar with the room layout which is great. What stood above was the "cooked to order" breakfasts and the managers reception. Normally, these type of amenities (if available at all) are minimal so this was a very pleasant surprise. I will definitely choose this location again when staying in D.C. My only "complaint" is that I had booked a conference rate for the three nights I had originally planned to stay at the hotel. When I checked in, I inquired about the possibility of extending my stay by one night and was told that the rate would no longer be made available and the price would go up substantially. It would have been nice if the desk clerk had shown some interest in working with me but it was not to be ...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
CharlesHill900, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2010
I often see reviews from families or leisure travelers, but not as many from those traveling on business. It is so nice to see we are pleasing guests from both spectrums. As part of the Embassy Suites brand we are lucky to have the Complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast in the morning and Manager's Reception every night. So many hotel chains don't offer anything that can compare to these services. Regarding our inability to extend this guest for an additional night, I wish I knew the dates so that I could check our status. June was a tremendously busy month with little availability between a few conventions in the city. While the Front Desk would not have been able to extend the conference rate if it was not available in the system, it sounds like we could have attempted to work with the guest a little more. We would always rather keep a guest in-house then let them check-out, but when the city is busy this becomes a challenge. I also see this reviewer is from Blacksburg, VA and as a fellow Hokie, I would have definitely made an exception.
Reviewed June 19, 2010

This hotel was simply amazing! We travel a lot and our preference is always Embassy Suites. This one was the absolute best! It was more than a regular room with handicap modifications; it appeared to be designed with accessibility in mind. It had the best roll-in shower that we have ever encountered. There was not a drop of water outside of the shower. The oversized room was easy to maneuver with a wheelchair. The sofa and 2 chairs provided comfortable seating in the living-room. The bed and sofa bed were very comfortable. The breakfast selection was plentiful. Everything looked and tasted fresh. The evening manager’s reception was refreshing after the long, hot day sight seeing.
The hotel is located about a mile from the Washington/Lincoln/WW2 monuments, as well as, some of the Smithsonian’s. The front desk provided a map to monuments, attractions, and restaurants that listed an estimated walking time. We found it to be accurate.
The only negative about the hotel was not having free wi-fi. A consolation is that there are several free internet kiosks available to use in the lobby area. As long-time Hilton Honors members (Silver VIP Level), it is disappointing that some Hilton properties are now charging for this service.
A small problem that we had was that we wanted to extend our stay for the rest of the week instead of moving hotels (booked by travel department at work). The front desk told us that the hotel was booked and that there was a waiting list with 15 other people on it. On the internet site, the hotel was showing vacancies. We called the 1-800 number and were told that there were indeed rooms available – just that the rate was significantly higher than our per diem. The telephone representative offered to call the manager on our behalf if we would e-mail the representative while “in front” of the manager. We were never able to make contact and moved to the other hotel for the remainder of our stay in Washington.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
CharlesHill900, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, June 24, 2010
Thank you for the great comments!!! I never get tired of them. I am so glad to see that our accommodations exceeded expectations. I must say that we do have an advantage over our competition. I mean, all suites, free breakfast (cooked-to-order), and free drinks in the evening is hard to beat. No one offers anything close. I often receive comments about not offering complimentary internet, but as mentioned in the review we do have a total of 12 computers that are free for all guests along with a laptop station in the business center that allows guests to plug in their own computer to the internet for no charge. It is also worth mentioning that the Gold and Diamond Hilton Honors members have the option to choose complimentary high speed internet during each stay. Lastly I am sorry to hear we did not extend your reservation for an additional night. It sounds like we had some miscommunication about what was really available and what we were communicating at the front desk. At the beginning of each shift it is standard to review our position for the day/night and that is generally the position taken when inquiries are made. On this particular day it would appear our status should have been updated on a more regular basis so that we could offer available rooms to our current guests. I do hope that my comments answered any questions left by the reviewer. If anything is unclear I am glad to handle on an individual basis at charles.hill@hilton.com.