“Excellent Base for Exploring DC”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center
Ranked #32 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Our family stayed here 6 nights. The hotel is 3, 4, and 5 blocks away from 3 Metro stations. The breakfast in the mornings was one of the highlights for our family with 2 kids. The food was excellent and the service, particularly from the chefs cooking the egg dishes, was outstanding. The evening cocktails (5:30-7:30) with light appetizers was also great. We also liked returning to the hotel to find ice-cold water (lightly flavored with lemon and lime) in the lobby. We stayed over the 4th of July and it was nice having the option of walking back to the hotel from the mall (as opposed to waiting in long lines at the Metro.)

There were several negatives, which pushed me close to a 4 star review. Several nights were hard to sleep because of the noise (thin walls/air vents and noises from the street) and inconsistent room temperatures. Also, the pool is pretty small with a 3 foot depth and seemed to be heavily treated with chemicals.

However, overall, we were happy with the choice of hotels. Excellent base for families exploring DC.

1  Thank ProfLonghair
CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

ProfLongHair,

I really enjoy reading the feedback that our guests provide and this was certainly a well thought out review with great information on what we are doing well. I haven't received much feedback on the water with lime and lemon but it's really good to know that guests are taking advantage of that and find it refreshing. As a Senior Contributor on Trip Advisor I'm certain you've stayed at many hotels but I am very honored that you have given us five stars and enjoyed such a wonderful visit to my hotel.

If in the future there is ever any issue with noise please let our front desk know immediately, they are always happy to accommodate in these situations and help out as best as they can. It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation filled with fireworks and great experiences with the kids. I am happy you chose us to stay with and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Charles.Hill@Hilton.com

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Great place to stay for the 4th of July week! Close to the convention center and about 15 - 25 minute walk to many of the sites. Hotel is in a nice safe location. Breakfast was great. One negative: Pool is really small though and it was packed with tons of kids.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Robert,

This is a great, concise review of my hotel and I really appreciate you taking a moment to write this. I hope you caught some great fireworks on the National Mall over the weekend as well. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you back again soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Our family of 5 with three teenagers visited in late June. Was slightly concerned about the 'Convention Center' tag but found that the hotel appeared to be full of other families. We had a spacious double bedroom with one of the boys sleeping on the (large) sofa bed in the other room. Beds were comfortable and rooms were modern and spotless. Also handy to have in room kitchenette (microwave/fridge).

Breakfast time can be busy but there's a lot of staff so the queues aren't any length. The hotel also has a happy hour aimed at families where adults can get free wine beer and kids have lemonade & snacks.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Declan,

Wow, I can only imagine what it must be like traveling with 3 teenagers but to hear that we were able to provide such a great and accommodating stay is absolutely fantastic. We are certainly close to the convention center but that puts us right in the center of many other DC attractions which makes our location so great. I am glad you able to enjoy this. I am honored that you chose us to be your home away from home coming all the way from Ireland and really appreciate the feedback you have provided here. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Attended a convention in D.C. and stayed at the Embassy Suites. Hotel was a very short two blocks from the center, an easy walk no matter what the weather is like. In the evenings I walked to two nearby subway stations and also to China Town. In the morning I went for a run toward the White House and the Mall. This hotel is close to it all. The staff was also incredibly friendly and always available I will absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Travel_Ute

Dear Travel_Ute,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience staying in my hotel while attending a nearby convention. You really can't beat that short block to the Convention Center and I am glad you were able to take advantage of the easy commute. I love the way you have expressed how central our location is, easy to get to many major attractions and I'm thrilled to hear you had such a positive experience taking it all in, even a nice run on the mall which is a fantastic, scenic route. We hope to welcome you back soon, in the meantime safe and happy travels.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in December 2013 and had a great experience. The building was very clean, employees were courteous, and the free breakfast was ample and of high quality. Furthermore, all the primary DC attractions were within walking distance (i.e. White House, Verizon Centre, etc.). Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chris B

Chris,

I certainly appreciate you coming to Trip Advisor to talk about your stay at my hotel in December. With the temperatures that DC weather can reach in the Winter I am very happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of easy commutes from our location to avoid the cold. Your feedback is excellent and I thank you for sharing.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for the 4th of July 2014 celebration, for a total of three days. It's location is great, within walking distance to the National Archives and the Smithsonian Museum. For the rest of the DC's attractions we mainly used the Metro (two stations are close to the hotel: Metro Center and Chinatown). We found some good restaurants in the area too. The restaurant located in the hotel (Finn & Porter Restaurant) is excellent, the staff is very friendly and the food and drinks are excellent. We will come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CCTimisoara

Dear CCTimisoara,

Wow, what an honor to be chosen as your home away from home coming all the way from Romania and even more so that you enjoyed us so much! I am very happy that we were able to provide some genuine hospitality during your stay to DC. I also hope you were able to take in some great July 4th fireworks on your trip. You've made some excellent points about the hotels great location and excellent restaurant and your feedback is greatly appreciated. We all look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip. Until then, safe and happy travels.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

This Embassy Suites is in a prime location (the circulator buses pick up just around the corner!). We stayed over the 4th of July (Wednesday-Saturday) weekend so it was very busy in and around DC. To our surprise, the breakfast line wasn't too bad 2/3 mornings of our stay. They seemed to create two breakfast areas for the holiday weekend, one in the restaurant and another in the evening reception room, which I think alleviated the lines mentioned in other reviews. The food wasn't as great on the holiday (Friday) or Saturday, I assume because the regular staff wasn't on. Our room was very nice and well maintained for a family friendly hotel. The A/C unit was great, though the bed sheets felt moist from the humidity. Front desk and concierge were excellent. The doorman was great at check-in, but at check-out he seemed agitated (probably because they just switched to a new valet parking company and things were a little jumbled). We were able to overlook that, however. We had dinner at the restaurant two nights with no complaints.

The evening reception was very crowded... We took our drinks and food up to our room both days we were able to go to the reception as we do not have young children.

One word of caution: there were a lot of sirens at all hours of the day and night the weekend we stayed. It raised our level of caution but nothing else. Wouldn't recommend the Metro subway either- very confusing system!

Room Tip: The upper floors seem to be nicer from what I saw.

Dear Apple1293,

I just want to take a moment to say thank you for taking the time to provide such a kind, reflective and positive review for our hotel. We certainly work hard to provide you with an excellent stay and your thoughts are always appreciated.

I appreciate the feedback on our valet service and the experience you had both arriving and leaving. This is great information that helps us all to continue to provide great service to our guests and I appreciate your acknowledgement of this act. Also, this was a great bit of information about the Evening Reception which will help us as well.

Again, thank you for your stay with us and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.