“Embassy Suites Convention Center: Great Location”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center
Ranked #31 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed September 14, 2008

I stayed at the Embassy Suites Convention Center last weekend in downtown DC and had a wonderful experience. The hotel was centrally located which allowed me easy access to walk to all the major attractions. I finished my trip off with a concert at the Verizon center and once again was able to walk across the street and down a block to attend the concert. It was perfect. The concierge offered information regarding attractions I never would have thought about doing, like the 3 hour segway tour.....I absolutely LOVED it. The tour guides were extremely infomative and funny. I would not have even known there was a segway tour if it weren't for the concierge. I will stay here again if I ever come back to DC.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed September 10, 2008

Our family of 5 stayed in what is called a two roomed suite. One bedroom with two double beds and a small living room with a queen size sofa bed. The fit out of the room was clean and comfortable, but the living room was one of the smallest we had amongst the various suites we stayed in during our US vacation. As usual when utilising a sofa bed you need to make up the bed yourself to fold it away to make room to move around.

While the kitchenette area with a small fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and sink is handy, other than two cups for the coffeemaker and some glasses, there were no other crockery or cutlery. A few basics would have been useful.

The complementary breakfast was plentiful with a good range of items, and the managers reception was a very nice touch If your'e staying for a few days with a family then the guest laundry is also very handy. Don't buy washing detergent at the shop - ask for change at the reception and they will give you the powder.

It was well positioned within easy walking distance to the White House. We walked past the homeless people in the park across the road, but they never bothered us. I wouldn't like to walk through there at night though.

We ate at a few local restaurants. Had a very nice meal at The Old Ebbitt Grill on 15 th St. it has a lovely atmosphere and the prices were vey reasonable. The meal at Bobby Van's was okay but quite pricey, the servers were all very pleasnt.. We also ate at the Mayur Kebab house on K St. Very simple basic Indian food at very low prices - nothing flashy, but our kids love Indian so we all enjoyed it.

1  Thank 8EDaze
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Traveling with an infant when lots of walking is involved requires us to stay at a centrally located and safe hotel, and, this hotel was just that. Located only a few blocks from the White House (we walked 15 mins max) and the metro (just across the road almost) in the Grand Hyatt.

Parking: Valet $30.00 per day. All staff very friendly, rooms great size (no views). Family loved the swimming pool and especially the included breakfast and evening happy hour, which although yes there can be lines, but nothing that requires you to check your watch or tap your foot constantly.

We were going to stay at the Grand Hyatt but for the same price here we received a full, great breakfast and evening happy hour (unlimited drinks - you call it basically) and you can take to your room. Note: They will only serve you one drink per time, can not get for someone else.

Cribs: They are SUPER old school, metal, high non-adjustable bars and on wheels, very rackety - suggest taking your own portable crib. They provide linens if you don't have.

Best Option: Catch the metro to Union Station, buy the TourMobile (NOT Old Town Trolley) tickets for $27.00 per day and ride all day (til 4:30pm). We rode the complete circle (approx 1.5 hour), then hopped on/off where we liked. The buses are a little older than the Old Town Trolley but stop similar locations and $8.00 cheaper.

Plus it includes access through the Arlington National Cemetery instead of walking which on a hot day is the best option.

Restaurant: MUST go to Granville Moores for not just the muscles as seen on Throw Down with Bobby Flay, but for the atmosphere and the incredible selection of beers including my favorites - Belgian Fruit Beers. The food is fantastic, crowd awesome. We drove from hotel, about (5) mins down the road...dodgy neighborhood but ample (street) parking right out front and safe in this case..I wouldn't suggest parking in side streets though. You will easily miss this place...it's very hidden..we asked a few people while actually standing right out front...they said it happens all the time...GREAT place.

We are staying at this hotel again in a few weeks...its modern, clean, great staff, location, breakfast, alcohol, can't complain!

3  Thank SDAussieGirl
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We had a wonderful time at this hotel! Found a great pay beforehand price ($159) and it was well worth it! The breakfast is by far the best I have ever been to ( and I have been to many!)!
The manager's reception was a wonderful surprise and we took advantage of it! My two teens and hubby and myself were very impressed and will look into other Embassy Suites! Thanks for tripadvisor also for the reviews! They are helpful, just sorry some people have bad experiences! Our concierge was wonderful, bell man was very helpful saving our luggage before check in and check in personnel was wonderful. We had a great trip and Embassy Suites helped make it so!

The only negative here was one night we splurged on a late dessert in the restaurant and the waiter was rude and not so helpful when he found out we only wanted dessert. Oh well, there are tired, money hungry and rude people out there!

1  Thank jrhammer
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel. While the hotel itself was wonderful, the neighborhood was of a concern. There is an "Artwalk" across 10th St. to the south between 2 large parking lots, affording an easy path towards the Mall and all the museums and memorials. However, several times when we walked that way, verbally aggressive homeless men and women panhandled and taunted us. Yesterday, at 2:30 in the afternoon, there were about 8 young women screeching, asking us for $20 and calling out very inappropriate things to our 9 year old son. We are no strangers to homeless, having lived until 2 years ago in New York City, but in this case I actually felt threatened. There is a great deal of construction in the neighborhood. I wouldn't stay again at this hotel, but would go closer to the Mall or out in Georgetown.

1  Thank NewYorkFamilyof3
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Our family of five stayed at the Embassy Suites Convention Center for five nights. Our stay far exceeded my expectations. Initially, I booked our stay for the Embassy Suites on 22nd street but I became concerned regarding what others reported as a lengthy walk to the Metro. I then started to doubt the switch when I saw some negative postings for this hotel. Our entire stay was outstanding. I found the hotel staff to be very friendly and helpful. Upon check in, we were upgraded to an executive suite. The room was immaculate. I had brought Clorox wipes just in case, but I didn't need to use them. The breakfast was excellent. We ate omlettes every day and we were fortunate that the lines were not too long. We often skipped lunches as we were so full from breakfast. Getting to the tourist attractions was very easy. We often walked to the museums and a couple of times we took the Metro. I ordered room service once. The Cobb salad was very good. My boys ordered chicken tenders and fries. The menu items were priced reasonably. I thought it would be far more expensive. Twice, we went to Chinatown for dinner. We ate at Clyde's and La Tasca (?). I enjoyed both restaurants however the paella at La Tasca wasn't that great. All in all, we had a wonderful stay at the ES and would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed August 14, 2008

We are a new blended family and this was our first family trip. I used Tripadvisor to guide me through to our hotel from my final list of 5 hotels.

I booked our hotel and gave the reservation clerk my list of preferences. I am a germ-a-phob. The room has to be near sterile, a room with a view and away from the elevator. Based on some of the posts I read here, I also inquired about the status of the pool. Cloudy water is a big no go!

Like many mom's I felt everything had to be perfect (No pressure). My husband warned me the trip would be great but of course not perfect.

THE ROOM
We got to the hotel 4 hours late, called ahead to notify the hotel of our new arrial and it was no problem. Our room was very very nice and the room was clean. I, of course, brought my cleaning supplies and recleaned the room to my impossible standards. For readers who share my germ issue this recleaning process took 10 no more than 15 min. and I tackled all surfaces: bathroom, appliances, remotes, door handles etc.

THE POOL
Still cloudy.

THE STAFF
Wonderful, friendly, and helpful.

THE BREAKFAST AND MANAGER'S RECEPTION
Awesome! The breakfast fueled our day and got us started on the right foot. The gentleman who made our omelets was cheerful and amazing. Single handedly he cooked all orders simple and complex. Our omelets were cooked to perfection. He was amazing to watch. I was very disappointed he was not being tipped better by the hotel guests. We went down for breakfast at 8am the wait for our omelets were very short. The breakfast selection is sure to please all.

The Manager's Reception was the perfect way to end the day. The bartenders were friendly and importantly made excellent
drinks.

FINAL COMMENTS
Excellent value! Clean room, excellent breakfast, to bad the pool is still cloudy.

1  Thank newfamilySpringfield