“Great location, Breakfast requires a plan!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center
Ranked #31 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Deer Park, Texas
“Great location, Breakfast requires a plan!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We visited DC during the first week of August - 2 adults, 2 children (8 years old). The hotel was clean, room was well-appointed, check-in was smooth (I observed long lines there at times, but we never had one). The valets/bellmen were excellent - we took cabs each day due to my mom's mobility issues, and they were always fast and helpful. Had one incident with a bag left in a cab, and amazingly it was returned within 20 minutes by the driver!

I have only 2 criticisms of this property - the wi-fi / cell phone signals ( at least on the 4th floor) were nonexistent. I believe it may be because our room faced another brick building, but I couldn't even make a cell phone call from the room, my hot spot wouldn't work - nada.

Second issue: breakfast. The first morning, we had a slow start, and headed down at 9 am. We waited through 4 elevators until there was room on one for us (stairs end at 2nd floor, so that isn't an option). When we got off, there was a line stretching back to the lobby of people waiting to get an elevator back up.
As an Embassy Suites hotel, this property offers a free breakfast buffet. The line at 9:10 am wound around the restaurant, through the tables, and about 15 people out the door. And in reality, this is two lines, since there are separate lines for the omelette station ands the Buffet. Tables were not cleaned quickly, so when you did get your food, it was difficult to find a place to sit.
We are frequent guests at Embassy properties - some of them do a great job with the breakfast rush, some don't. The other 4 days we made sure to go early, and there were fewer problems.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this Embassy Suites while on a business trip in August. The room was very comfortable. Mattress and bedding were plush. Made me want to go ro bed early. Hotel is older bur in good shape for the most part. Free wireleas internet is in the lobby the hotel says.....but I could not get it to work on any device.....for the advertised free rate. The hotel is a 15 minute cab ride from Reagan National Airport. Close to many good restaurants. It has the good Embassy breakfasts included. It was a good stay. I would go back.

• Stayed August 2013
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Close to subway, White House and other attractions. I love to walk so only got on the subway once to return from Arlington Cemetery, other than that, walking was a breeze.

Rooms are very spacious, helps to have fridge and microwave in room. Great cooked to order breakfast and pm snacks and drinks.

Would stay again!

• Stayed August 2013
Lancaster, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The hotel is beautiful. The suites are spacious. Did not like the view at all! Folks staying next to us were very loud until 2am. Did not like the fact that I had to pay an additional $40.00 for parking. Maybe $20.00 would be fine. Breakfast was awesome. That was the best part!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Henfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Weeks ago, I booked a smoking suite (yes, I know it's a disgusting habit) with the hotel for a 6-night stay commencing 3rd September. Yesterday (28th August), they emailed me to say that the hotel was becoming 100% smoke-free and that my booking had therefore been changed to a non-smoking suite. Not a great deal of notice and I suspect that the organisation knew the change was a distinct possibility when they accepted my booking but they chose to say nothing. Most irritatingly of all, they positioned this change in their email as 'exciting news'. Needless to say, I cancelled and fortunately have found somewhere else (shame it's the same group) but am far from impressed at this last-minute change I've had to make and the way in which Embassy Suites have conducted themselves in this matter.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank pjt44f
Lafayette, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2013

When I arrived, I waited at least 15 minutes while the confused staff seemed to have difficulty working with three customers. I was not provided my Hhonors treat bag even though there were at least 30 sitting on the table behind the reception desk. Breakfast foods need improvement. The scrambled eggs tasted fake, the yogurt low end and not much variety. Other Embassy Suites I've stayed at have been much nicer. There seemed to be difficulty w/cleaning off tables during the reception and BF.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Visited DC for half term week and chose this hotel based on location and value for money.

After our transfer from Dulles(about 45 minutes) check in took about two minutes and once in our suite there was plenty of room for two adults and two teenagers. With two televisions there was no fighting over the remote control!!

The breakfast included in our deal was comprehensive and certainly gave us enough fuel for all the walking we did over the four days we were there.The location is superb, with most of the 'must see' places within about thirty or forty minutes walk. Of course, one could find other ways to see the attractions if one wished. There were not a large number of places nearby for evening dinner; but a walk of fifteen minutes or so soon solved this.

Once back at the hotel the Managers evening reception was not to be missed, with free snacks and drinks!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not next to the road; or is nearer the top of the hotel if not-we were luc...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Travelers also viewed these Washington DC hotels
Upper Northwest
Courtyard Washington Convention Center
Downtown / Chinatown
Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center
Washington Marriott at Metro Cen...
#49 of 140 in Washington DC
Upper Northwest
Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Mount Vernon Square
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washington DC Convention Center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washin...
#27 of 140 in Washington DC
Downtown / Chinatown
Hampton Inn Washington, D.C./White House

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center? Share your experiences!