“Meets the Standard”

Ranked #34 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Meets the Standard”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Had a good stay at the Embassy Suites, Convention Center, Washington. The hotel seems pretty new. Rooms were very fresh-looking, other than the hard sofa bed in the living area, but those are always horrible. Room layout is simliar to all other Embassy Suites with two rooms--living area with sofa/chair/table/refrigerator/microwave, bedroom on the other side, and bathroom in-between. Check-in was speedy and staff was friendly. Breakfast buffet was as expected, although a bit light on fresh fruit. The worst thing about this hotel was the parking situation. The only parking available is valet for $39 a day, and there are just a couple of tiny spaces out front in-between several taxi stands, so you might have to wait just to get into the tiny valet turn-in. We gave up, took two right turns behind the hotel, and parked under an office building for $25 overnight. I would recommend others do the same. No waiting on a valet spot to open, self-parking, lower cost, and only a half-block around the corner to the hotel. I have to say this hotel is sited amongst a mini-city of office buildings. Nothing spectacular about the area, although we could see the Capitol Building from our 15th floor room. The only restaurant we found in the vicinity was the Capitol City Brewery, which was good. Perhaps there are others, but we didn't see much to eat. We were able to walk over to the Verizon Center for a concert, and that took about 15 minutes. Quite a few restaurants in that direction in "Chinatown," but it requires a walk. I didn't see any nearby metro stops, other than the Gallery stop over by Chinatown. Finally, I would say this hotel is a good 10 blocks from the national mall. It would take a good walk to get to the museums. Overall, great hotel, but sited more for the convention center than for tourist activity.

Room Tip: some rooms on the top/15th floor have views of the top of the us capitol building and/or washington...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank kevboom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel. It is fully furnished and gives you everything you would expect from a hotel. The breakfast is one of the largest breakfast rooms I have seen in a long time! The hostess is great as well!

Be ware. this hotel had no cell reception in room 724. Im someone who lives off my phone. FYI!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Brian S
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was my first stay at the Embassy Suites, and what a pleasant stay it was !!!
The staff was extremely helpful and courteous, Loved the excellent breakfast spread which includes custom-made omelettes and fresh fruits etc., Manager's Reception aka Happy Hour from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm where drinks and snacks are on the house... loved every bit of my stay at Embassy suites in DC. I was also able to buy a Open-Bus tour ticket from the concierge, the boarding point is a couple of blocks from the hotel, there is a public parking lot near the hotel and a lot of site-seeing locations are walking distance from the hotel, if you are a fan of walking around...the room was just perfect, WiFi is ONLY free in the lobby, which sometimes acts up, but the front-office staff helped me out immediately...and it was reasonably priced as well, will definitely stay here the next time I am in DC...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Embassy during the first week of September 2012. We loved everything about it! The continental breakfast was fabulous! Also, the evening social was terrific! The employees were very friendly, and everything was so clean. We would definitely go back!

2 Thank marcieIL
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I usually give hotels in upscale chains at least a very good if they generally meet the standards for such places (better than average rooms and service), and this place did that in most respects. However, I have to downgrade them one notch for one unexpected and unpleasant surprise: When I tried to take my shower at 8 a.m., there was no hot water. There was in the sink (and I ended up washing there), but after letting the shower run for ten minutes and trying different settings to make sure it wasn't just that the controls were somehow reversed, I gave up. (I did use the shower to wash my hair, since that isn't so easily done in a sink, and it was, to say the least, an invigorating experience). I guess the showers are on a different water supply (with inadequate hot water for the morning crowd) than the sinks, or the controls for this one were just botched up, but in any case I just can't fill in that extra circle this time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Michigan
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We just stayed here for 4 nights in September and it was a perfect hotel for our purposes - we had a family of 4 and a family of 5 - doing the DC sites. The suites have different configurations but we got a 1 BR 2 double bed suite that worked out fine. The actual bedroom was a litte on the small side but there was a kitchenette/hallway attaching it to the living area which had a pull-out sofam chair and 4 person dining table. Decor was upscale and updated and the hotel overall was very nice. Free breakfast in the morning and free happy hour each night which we took full advantage of. Workout room was well-equipped and pool/whirlpool area was small but nice. On New York Ave and 10th and a few blocks walk to Verizon Center, Chinatown, maybe 8 blocks to National Mall and 7 to the White House. Lots of great restaurants nearby. If it were just me and my husband we'd stay at someplace closer to the National Mall and get a standard hotel room - stayed at the JW Marriott before and can't beat that location but everything's fairly close by.

Room Tip: This hotel is right downtown so views are probably not going to be good from any floor- we stayed on...
1 Thank PatienceWonderful
DDelRusso, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear PatienceWonderful,

Thank you so much for your detailed and positive review. It sounds like you were traveling with another family and took full advantage of our free breakfast and happy hour each night. I am very happy to hear that you seemed to enjoy everything. You are correct that we are located just 7 blocks from the White House and 8 blocks to the National Mall. For all the Trip Advisor readers out there: either location is about a 15 minute walk, or a 4 minute cab ride. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review and I certainly hope that you and your family will return again soon!

Best regards,

David Del Russo
david.del.russo@hilton.com
Plainsboro, New Jersey
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My family and I stayed at the ES in Washington on Sept. 15th, 2012. Now, this is not my first time at an ES. As a matter of fact, we just stayed a couple of weeks before this at the EB in Valencia, CA. So you can tell we are pretty big fans of ES.

The ES in DC is very good. I think the location is good, although you'll need a car, which is no problem for us. We love the amazing breakfast with omelets made to order that is included in the room rate. We also love the complimentary happy hour.

What we didn't like at all was the $40 parking fee. They only have valet parking and I thought the charge was outrageous. In Valencia, we didn't pay for parking, and that's how it should be.

The other thing I didn't like was the musty smell as soon as you walk into the lobby. I also noticed that smell in the hallway upstairs. But not in the rooms, they smelled nice and fresh. Still, you do walk through the lobby and have to smell that, it's not pleasant, it was almost like it smelled of cigarette smoke or used ashtrays, but I didn't see anyone smoking.

I also notice a little (read: a little, not a lot) of mold in the tub. I'm an a stickler for looking for mold and I've seen much much worse. It was there and it was noticeable to me but not bad enought that would make me want a different room or hotel. Just not ES cleanliness that I'm used to.

Overall it was a good stay. The hotel was full, so breakfast was definitely crowded, although we managed to get a table without waiting. I think it would have been better if we went a little earlier.