“Unforgettable. Oft overlooked. Near Capitol”

Belmont-Paul Women's Equality National Monument House and Museum
Ranked #152 of 465 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Woman's Party at the Belmont-Paul Women's Equality National Monument is the only museum in the nation's Capitol that tells the inspiring and ongoing story of women's quest for equality. The Sewall House has stood strong on Capitol Hill for over two hundred years. Early occupants of the house participated in the formulation of Congress and witnessed the construction of the US Capitol and the Supreme Court. In 1929, the National Woman's Party (NWP) purchased the house, and it soon evolved into a center for feminist education and social change. For over sixty years, the trail-blazing NWP utilized the strategic location of the house to lobby for women's political, social, and economic equality.Today, the National Woman's Party tells the compelling story of a community of women who dedicated their lives to the fight for women's rights. The innovative tactics and strategies these women devised became the blueprint for women's progress throughout the twentieth century. The Museum exhibits highlight the tactics and strategies used during the 20th century women's rights movement. Artifacts from the NWP collection bring the story to life. Public Programs showcase the Museum's commitment to continuing conversations on women's progress while examining the ongoing national and international quest for women's equality.The site was dedicated as a National Monument for its significance to the history of the United States.
Reviewed March 8, 2014

A house museum celebrating the fight for women's right o vote. Truly important in history of our nation and not just during women's history month.

2  Thank nycmom22
in 6 reviews
"elizabeth cady stanton"
"women's rights"
in 2 reviews
"the national park service"
"gift shop"
"information"
"photos"
"movie"

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I live in DC and have been looking to go to the Sewell-Belmont house for weeks now. I was thrilled when I finally had time in my schedule to go to this historic home that I hoped would share great insights and new information. While the guide was knowledgeable, I was frustrated by the layout of the museum and really the tour itself. I would have enjoyed more stories instead of a few minute intro and then to be left to our own devices. I also wish the tour went back a little further than the late 1800s (although I understand that's the time frame of the 19th amendment) because there were lots of men and women working on women's issues long before that time-frame.

Overall, I did learn a few new tidbits and some of the historic relics are amazing. If you are a women's history buff like myself it is worth the time and price to swing through just to say you've been there. I wish the tour didn't end in the gift shop (I thought that was a little tacky) but it was generally a good experience.

2  Thank Lauren510
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Women: If you can possibly make time for it, go on a docent tour of this house (noon, costing $8). This was the house the suffragists used as their base when they lobbied Congressmen. History and insights and inspiration in every room!

1  Thank Mary P
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Sewall-Belmont, located on Constitution Avenue next to the Hart Senate Office Building and across from the Supreme Court, is a must-see for every American and every woman, as it served as home and office for the National Woman's Party led by Alice Paul, who continued the fight for women's suffrage, saw the ratification of the nineteenth amendment giving women the right to vote, and was the author of the equal rights amendment which, to our collective shame, has yet to be passed. Until the current hopes for a Smithsonian museum of women's history come to fruition, the Sewall-Belmont serves as the only museum in our nation's capital that is dedicated to women's history - and what a history it is! yet so few Americans know the story of Alice Paul and so many women like her who put everything, including their lives, on the line in order that 50% of Americans could exercise their right to vote. All too often we forget the cost of our freedoms.
(Note that the Sewall-Belmont is not open every day, and that its hours of operation are afternoon-only, so be sure to call ahead of time and to check their website for more information. For those who are lacking in information, I'd recommend reading A Woman’s Crusade: Alice Paul and the Battle for the Ballot by Mary Walton, which is also on sale in the museum gift shop.)

1  Thank bobbie5
Elisabeth C, Public Relations Manager at Belmont-Paul Women's Equality National Monument House and Museum, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Thank you so much for visiting the Museum and reviewing us! We are very proud of our exhibits and our shop. I hope you will return soon with friends!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I love houses from the period it was built so always enjoy visiting a house and this house didn't disapoint
While I know a bit about the history of the struggle for Women's Right to Vote an excellent docent and the artifacts gave a lot of history.. .Great it included information on the ERA. Gift shop was also an added attraction though I am one to rarely say this Was always on my list to see during the many years lived in the area Glad I did get to go even though it involved taking Metro and it wa a hot day

1  Thank Louise R
Elisabeth C, Guest Relations Manager at Belmont-Paul Women's Equality National Monument House and Museum, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your taking the time to let us and others know about your experience at the Museum, and we always strive to improve the visits of future guests based on the comments of people like you. I hope you can come back and see us again sometime soon!

Thank you!

Travelers who viewed Belmont-Paul Women's Equality National Monument House and Museum also viewed

Been to Belmont-Paul Women's Equality National Monument House and Museum? Share your experiences!