“Perfect location, good value”

American Guest House
Ranked #7 of 36 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Lincoln, Delaware
“Perfect location, good value”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

The regular mega-hotels were just too out of reach for me tabling on a nonprofit budget, and the reviews of hotels in the DuPont Circle area were sketchy, so I kept digging until I found this one. It was just a block or two from my conference, right off Connecticut Avenue and on the edge of Adams-Morgan with all kinds of neat eateries. It was like staying at someone's home. Breakfast included a couple from UK, a Polish couple, a couple from Australia, and a Chinese man.

No it wasn't luxurious and it was a bit worn, but the price was so much more reasonable than other hotels in the area. Would definitely return there as a tourist.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Very well located inn, with super friendly and helpful staff. The room was clean and characterful, but a little small and pokey at times - but normal for an older building. One thing to be aware of is that there isn't any parking on site, and on street parking isn't great. We ended up paying $90 for a few days of parking at the nearby Hilton.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Really enjoyed staying at the B&B while at a conference in the Hilton (right around the corner). I enjoyed the unique details of this B&B over another boring conference center. The breakfast was really delicious and convenient and the rooms were well stocked with the amenities you'd expect at a hotel.

The street noise was substantial in my room facing the street on the second floor (not too much you can do about that in DC). You may want to ask about a room at the back or just bring ear plugs.

Room Tip: Higher floors or rooms at the back of the building may be quieter.
1 Thank Parker J
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Our stay at the American guesthouse was more than great. The house is old and beautiful, lots of old furniture/antiques, interesting paintings... Our room on the top floor was very pretty, and the location is very convenient. The breakfast was very, very good and fresh. We stayed there for five nights and got a wonderful culinary surprise every morning! Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Fullerton
Reviewed November 4, 2013

American Guest House is the perfect blend of B&B and upscale vacation rental. The breakfasts designed by Lisa, the house's Chef, were the highlight of each morning. During our 7 day stay, each breakfast was unique and a culinary masterpiece. Staff are warm and friendly with many tips on exploring DC during the financial shutdown ...enough alternatives to let us forget about it.

For evening life, there are plenty of unique restaurants of every ethnicity and type in the area - bistro, asian, mid-eastern, etc. Plus, a short walk to DuPont Circle metro gets you to the White House/congress/mall effortlessly.

Location is everything in a large city, and these accommodations met the prefect blend of city and small town flavor. It IS the place to stay. We will definitely return on our next trip to DC.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was our first visit to Washington DC and I would higlhy recommend staying at The American Guest House. The staff went out of their way to make our two night stay perfect. We could not have asked for a more central location than this. Our room was extremely comfortable and clean with an old world charm. Breakfast was good and plentyful with something different each day. I also was very impressed that one morning we had a very early morning start with a tour, when we came down stairs that morning our breakfast was packed to go which made us fell very welcomed..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

On my first visit to Washington DC for business and a little sightseeing thrown in, I was torn between booking a corporate chain hotel, which I knew would be efficient but bland and impersonal or to take a risk and try something more individual.

I'm glad I took the latter option, because I booked a couple of nights in the American Guest House and was delighted with my experience.

The room I had was gorgeously Victorian with the most comfortable bed I ever slept in (including my own dammit!) I loved the elegant and creaky floorboards, which I must confess I walked over sometimes just for the fun of it!

Breakfasts were a delight with the Sunday Shrimp and Grits reason alone to stay in Washington for the weekend.

The bathroom was spotlessly clean, water as hot as you would like and if you needed it ,the television large enough to gather a small village around.

The American Guest house is easy walking distance (10 minutes) to Dupont Circle Metro and from there all the city is accessible.

All in all a lovely an unexpected escape. I glad I took the risk.