“A historical novelty of hospitality and a marvel of architectural craftsmanship.”

American Guest House
Ranked #7 of 36 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 16, 2013

From the second you complete your initial reservation, to the moment you pick up your bags and complete your stay, the American Guest House is pure perfection which provides more than a comforting stay in Washington DC. I booked my reservation online and called to inquire about details of DC. The innkeepers are very helpful and provided a vast amount of knowledge that helped me for my travel to DC.
I highly recommend that you call and get to know your Innkeeper. Jonathan goes above and beyond the expectations of a 5 Star hotel to ensure you are taken care of. My wife and I stayed for a few nights and Breakfast was always the talk of the day. Great dinners in DC but our Breakfast was exquisite.
I usually stay at the Hilton but you can bet I'm going to start staying here or at other B&B's in the future.
The American Guest House was the highlight of our stay. Our daughter is getting married in July and we plan to surprise her with a stay in Room 403 which would be perfect for their wedding night.
Trust us, call ahead and just introduce yourself. Like the motto says, "it's your home away from home."

• Stayed: January 2013
There are newer reviews for American Guest House

Reviewed December 28, 2012

The American Guest House was a find. It is conveniently located in an attractive and safe neighbourhood, although the walk from the subway took a little longer than expected. The hosts were very friendly and helpful, and the building has a delightful Victorian charm. I was lucky enough to have a complementary room upgrade from the basement to a room overlooking the street. At first the net connection was troublesome but remedied when I mentioned the problem to the hosts. The breakfast was adequate. There was a stop for the hop on hop off bus only 5 minutes walk away. And it was a pleasant walk to the National Zoo. Excellent value for money. I will stay there again for all of the above reasons.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at this guest house on two separate occasions due to Hurricane Sandy,( had to postpone trip to New York) . The bedrooms ( rooms 202/302) were compact but with excellent beds, decoration, clean pleasant bathrooms and a fridge. Both rooms were at the front but we were not disturbed by traffic.
Breakfast at the communal table was great. Good choice of fruit , yoghurt , pastries and choice of eggs or 'special' dish. We really enjoyed chatting to a variety of guests ,some tourists like us others attending business or conferences but all interesting.
Jonathan is a brilliant inn keeper and he and his staff could not have been more helpful with local knowledge and advice. Jonathan even phoned us at our guest house in Philly to help us find transport when Amtrak was down. ( recommend Megabus for cheap and cheerful means of getting around).
The area around the guest house is very pleasant. Interesting houses in the Embassy quarter, Philips collection, Walt Whitman's house are nearby. Pleasant walk over to Georgetown and lots of good restaurants including Bistro du Coin and Le Pain Quotidien ( but not Le Mouraya where mussels in ouzo or ground duck moussaka just do not work )

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EffieBristol
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at AGH for 3 nights in early Nov. 2012 for a business conference. This was my first visit to D.C. and to AGH. I stayed in a room on the second floor facing the street. It was quiet and restful. I would recommend AGH to anyone who appreciates the history in D. C. The house has a story of it's own and is well maintained. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The service and hospitality outstanding. All of the staff were friendly and went out of their way to make us welcome. The food they prepared was great...fresh baked breads, muffins and eggs to order...yum! We were able to use the dining room one evening to share a dessert as if we were in our own home making the trip more personal and memorable. The location is good as well...close to unique restaurants, easy acess to the Metro, and walking distance to Dupont Circle. Thanks to AGH and their great staff...especially housekeeping, Jonathon and Gabriel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have stayed at American Guest House twice now, and I have only good things to say. Both times I have stayed in rooms facing Columbia Road (room 301 & room 401). Both rooms are quiet and sunny, very clean and cozy, with exceptionally comfortable beds, and good wifi. The inn features lots of wood trim, which gives it a warm feel, in particular the beautiful staircase. When you stay at a bed and breakfast, your rooms really are dictated by the nature of the original house/home itself. The rooms here are accurately described and pictured on the website, all you have to do is look at it.

Each morning guests are provided with fresh fruit, breads for toast, cereals, juice, milk, coffee, tea, and one or two home-baked pastries. In addition, eggs are prepared to order, which is a nice treat. Jonathan usually has a daily egg dish he is featuring, and I would recommend whatever it is, as each day it was delicious.

A big factor for the quality of a bed and breakfast is the staff itself. Jonathan and the staff at American Guest House excel at this. They are attentive, friendly, caring, and offer great suggestions when asked, without ever being overbearing. I happened to stay at the Guest House through Hurricane Sandy, and I can’t imagine staying in a better place during the storm. Jonathan was very calm and reassuring throughout the experience, and let us know that we had plenty of water and sundries should we lose power (not as likely, though, as DC power lines are below ground). He also provided us with good lantern flashlights. The main night of the storm, I was fortunate to sit in the lovely parlor and watch it with two wonderful guests, Kevin and Poutine (hope I spelled that right). They are great people and delightful conversationalists, and like me, enjoy watching storms. We had a memorable evening as we sipped the wine they had generously supplied, and were joined for a time by charming AGH staff member Lucia. You could only have an experience like that in a bed and breakfast beautifully run by a fine staff.

Room Tip: Read and look at room descriptions, and you should be fine.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed two nights here at the end of our trip. Hotel is in a great location, within walking distance of loads of restaurants, cafes and bars. Also within walking distance of White House. We arrived early and were allowed to leave our bags so that we would explore the city a bit easier. Staff were very friendly. Room was a little small, but fine. Bed was very comfortable, and room was clean. All in all very comfortable. The one thing I wasn't wild on was the communal breakfast where everyone was at the same table in the morning, leading to forced conversation which was awkward. Thoroughly enjoyed the food though.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed at the American Guest House before and during a business conference over the first week of November. I cannot say enough about how friendly and kind each of the staff members were! Delicious coffee cake, various breads, cereal, and eggs-to-order were offered each morning. My room was on the 4th floor (you choose your room) facing the front street, and was very comfortable and extremely clean; I LOVED my room! It felt very much like I was staying at someone's house - in a good way! - rather than an impersonal hotel. The AGH is an easy distance from the Dupont Circle metro stop, Rock Creek Park, many delicious places to eat, and even tourist-y spots like the White House. The surrounding neighborhood is beautiful, with the architecture of the buildings allowing you to imagine what it must have been like to live there "back when." I felt completely safe walking around in the area, even at night. I truly enjoyed my stay at the American Guest House and will DEFINITELY try to stay there again next time I'm in DC!!

Room Tip: The room that I reserved face the front street on the top floor (401). The sunlight was brilliant a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business