“Lives up to the hype!”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Reviewed July 10, 2019

Had an amazing meal here. Sat at a table (though requested chef's counter, but ultimately were glad it worked out as it did) and chose 5 options, plus dessert. Lychee salad is not to be missed, and the Popcorn Soup is one of a kind (but rich enough to be shared). Caico de Pepe one of the best I've had and the brisket was perfect. Was not as impressed as most with the wings but maybe that's me. I would definitely come back here.

3  Thank Therese D
Write a reviewReviews (504)

Reviewed July 9, 2019 via mobile

The food was amazing. My colleague and I shared several small plates...salad, soup, and meats and vegetarian. As a foodie....top of my list!

1  Thank D3507AHmichelles
Reviewed July 3, 2019

I didn't get to sit down and eat but waited 3 hours with my family of 3. I arrived at 5:30pm and was told I would have to be put on the wait list because the next opening would be at 8:30 pm. They said they would text me when the table was ready. I returned to the host desk at 8:25pm to see what the status was of my reservation, as we were not called. The lady at the desk said, after looking at the paperwork for a minute, she said your looking at 9:30 seating time. Which I said, well I was told we would be seated at 8:30pm. What happened? She said, you have a window to be seated from 8:30-9:30pm in which we can seat you. I told her that was not what I was told by the other host. She said, "sorry for the miscommunication, there was a misunderstanding". There was nothing she could do. It seemed like they lied to me.

At the time when I put my name in for the reservation, I didn't think too much about why they asked for my last name and how to spell it. But now I realize it was because they pick and choose as they go along who they give the next table to and NOT according to who is next on wait list. Clearly if they see you have an ethnic last name this indicates to them how and when they should seat you.

Buyer beware.

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank curlypaul1
Reviewed July 2, 2019 via mobile

Attended a curated preset menu roof top dining room experience ..
Great ambience, surrounded by plants and your own personal conductor of the session who walks you thru the courses, answers questions regarding wine pairings and ensures an overall excellent dining experience

It was a big party that attended the private roof top dining experience and I was the sole vegetarian in the group
Since the restaurant was informed in advance of my dietary preferences, they customized the dishes for me for every course of the meal
The cucumber salad was exceptional as well as the strawberry sorbet with fresh black pepper as a palate cleanser
The pasta course with fresh black pepper was superb

It is a very pricey meal but for a special occasion would be a very enjoyable one

2  Thank 937priyam
Reviewed June 27, 2019

This is a family-style restaurant, not too big, it is still in the navy yard, a little bit hard to find by driving if this is your first time to visit. I personally highly recommend Lychee salad, pork sausage plus a lychee sweetness just a perfect combination. I a Chinese, in our food culture, pork stands for cold (ice), lychee stands for hot (fire) in nature, it is another way to interpret " ice and fire". Crispy fried wings bring the flavor from dried tangerine to fried chicken wings, salty and sweety, a unique experience ever. I ordered a pasta with Octopus palms, it was too creamy to overlap the fresh sense of Octopus, not a big fan of that after tasting the Greek and Korean style of Octopus. Malabi was a great dessert for friends. All in all definitely a place worthy of another visit or more.

Date of visit: April 2019