“Quick Great Thai on a Rainy Hurricane Sandy Night”

Thai Tanic Restaurant
Ranked #605 of 3,300 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Thanks to the TA reviews, I saw this Thai restaurant was up the road from our hotel with decent reviews and lots of other restaurants around. As an out of towner on business, I went inside on a quiet rainy night and had a great quick green chicken curry. The Thai was very authentic with a spicy kick.

The area is actually great as a mega Whole foods store was around the corner where I stopped in for desert. Wish I had discovered the area earlier!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We tried plenty of the veggie and seafood dishes and they were excellent. The house wine (choose the chardonnay) was superb. Staff were fine, but seemed in a bit of a rush to take your order, deliver your food and clear your table. Slowing the pace down would make this an ideal place.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was at this restaurant nearly a year ago and walked in off the street when it was rather chilly outside. I ordered the Tom kha ga soup and the feeling I had when I tasted it was that warm, cozy "I can't believe how good this is" kind of feeling. After the soup I had the grilled duck salad, which was also delicious.
It was just a really good non-pretentious Thai restaurant with simply and expertly prepared Thai food. Plus I think the name is cool!

1  Thank AmazingRaceFan
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We got some take away from this place while visiting Washington DC as it was the only place near our hotel that was open past 10pm. The food was good but the service was really bad. After waiting for awhile for our food at the bar, I noticed one of the servers bringing a bag of food and leaving it behind the counter, I had to ask them if that was for us. Till then the servers behind the counter were just chatting among themselves without paying much attention. We came back to our hotel and opened the bag to find out that they haven't even put any cutlery or tissues.
Don't go here if you're looking for good service.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

In 3 days in DC it was the best of 3 Thai restaurants that me and my Thai friend visited. It is real Thai food prepared by Thai natives. We are gay and were pleasantly surprised that most of the staff is gay. Also in proper Thai style, there were several "lady boys" or kathoeys as they are also known - including the bartender. They are far more classy and beautiful than drag queens and most folks would think they are real women. However the star of the show here was the food. It is simple Thai food without fancy names or gimmicks and that's how we like it. Service is basic and unobtrusive and the environment is colorful and clean yet basic.