“Outside is easy to miss, but not the inside” 4 of 5 bubbles

Singapore Bistro
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Overland Park, Kansas
“Outside is easy to miss, but not the inside”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2007

I asked my hotel concierge for a suggestion of a sushi restaurant within walking distance, and he said the Singapore Bistro. The restaurant is tucked into a row of buildings, and the red sign on the front would probably not have made me want to look inside had I found it on my own. Don't think about the look from the outside, walk up the steps and go in.

The restaurant serves a blend of Asian styles, but I was there for sushi, so I sat at the sushi bar. I immediately noticed the prices. Many of the nigiri choices were less than $1 per piece. This can either be a deal or a sign of inferior quality. In this case, it was a deal.

If you're used to the American-sized sushi portions, you'll think that Singapore is skimping. Actually, the size of the sushi here is like the authentic Japanese. The pieces are a bit smaller, but the idea is not to be supersized at the sushi bar.

The sushi menu offers several interesting specialties, and one that caught my eye was the Fire Mountain Roll. This has a tempura-fried inside and rice outside with two types of spicy mayo.

Singapore Bistro was an excellent recommendation, and I look forward to my trip to Washington so I can sample some of the other house specialties. (CS)

1 Thank TravelerChriss

USA
“A bit skimpy on the fish...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2007

I was looking for some delicious sushi and was a bit disappointed. While the quality of the fish was good, the portion was very small. I had 2 rolls (1 tuna, 1 salmon) and the salmon was virtually obsolete in the one and OK in tuna. I've never seen such skinny rolls!!! It was a disappointment. On the positive side, the service was great and the atmosphere also nice.