“Amazing crabcakes!”
Review of Fourth Estate

Fourth Estate
Reserve with OpenTable
Fourth Estate is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #673 of 3,257 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 14th & F
Transit: Take Metro to the Metro Center Station. We are located on the corner of 14th and F. Enter on the 14th street side under the awning for the National Pres Building, and take the elevators to the 13th Floor. Ask the front desk attendant for the Fourth Estate Restaurant.
Charlotte Hall, Maryland
“Amazing crabcakes!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We decided to take a chance and purchased a Travelzoo voucher (two appetizers, two entrees, two glasses of wine) for this restaurant and I am thrilled we did. I had the crab cake platter and they were amazing! I am a bit of a "crab cake snob" being from Southern Maryland and these did not disappoint. I had two generously sized cakes that were pure jumbo lump crab-no filler. The sides were a nice compliment and I must say I was stuffed! The presentation was impressive as well; this is definitely a hidden gem. We went on a Friday night and were maybe one of four tables in the restaurant.

My date had the filet and it was okay-I would definitely stick with the seafood!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank MarylandGirl_26

Marco Island, Florida
“Quite a surprise”
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I dined here, based on a recommendation from a friend. When we arrived at 7:00 pm, there were only two tables occupied. We almost left, but are glad we stayed. The service was excellent, timely, but not oppressive. I ordered the pork tenderloin with browned butter, mashed potatoes, and a grilled (caramelized) zucchini with feta and mint. The pork was tender, and flavorful, and the zucchini was the best preparation, I have encountered. My wife ordered the French chicken breast, which was very flavorful. Prices were very reasonable for DC.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank ALR_Marco
Alexandria, VA
“Had high expectations but was disappointed.”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Ambiance was disappointing. Very plain. Excellent service though. Crab cakes and lamb was very good. Unfortunately the waiter recommended the steak dinner and I was extremely disappointed with it.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank LongballBB
suelqq@aol.com
“Surprise! Great, small restaurant on 13th floor, Nat. Press Club, in DC”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Enter on 14th; take elevator to 13th; find this gem of a restaurant for lunch or dinner. Do not miss the gallery of world class photos in the halls...a pictorial history of US govt and media of past 60 years.

For lunch we had crab sandwich, hamburger. Both came w unique salads. Good food and value. A return trip for dinner, with ample choices.

This restaurant is open to the public now ...in days before computer-age it was where the reporters ate, drank and wrote their stories. Harry Truman hung out with them during his days in DC; his piano is in the private bar on the 14th floor (private as in press club members).

Great food and history here, a sweet find in a busy, fast paced city.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank SueQuinn
massachusetts
“What a great experience!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I was excited to find this place at the National Press Club. It used to be a private restaurant only for members but is now open to the public. We made a reservation and when we got there there was absolutely nobody there! A Wednesday about 7:15 PM ( eventually another couple arrived). It is a nice dining room with white linen, etc and great photos on the wall of many of those who have spoken there, presidents, celebrities and the like. The food was excellent, the service was perfect, and it was just a cool place to eat, if you are interested in politics or journalism. I told the waiter of my interest and he let us go into another area of the building where the ballroom is and we got to see many additional photos, including an original pretty famous one of JFK that I had seen reproduced many times before.

Visited April 2013