“Calypso chicken, peas & rice, cabbage delight. Startingly good. Friendly service. Enjoyed my first Carib beer.”

Islander Caribbean Restaurant & Lounge
Cuisines: Caribbean
Neighborhood: U Street Corridor
Description: The Islander is a family-owned and operated business with " The Queen," Chef Addie Green ruling this Island Kingdom. We believe she's undoubtedly the best Caribbean cook in Washington, DC. The Islander is a landmark in the Caribbean Community and the Green family has collectively provided the finest in Trinidadian cuisine to the Washington Community for the past 40 years.
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed January 18, 2008

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Reviewed October 13, 2007

Beyond Ultra Rude: The Islander Caribbean Restaurant
On 10.12.07, had the displeasure of owners (mother & son) yelling at my 11 yr old daughter, husband and me after we experienced a personal health emergency in the ladies room. The mother belittled & berated us while we were in the rest room and as we left it to return to our seats, never expressing care or concern for our well being. When I told her we had an emergency, she accused me of talking on the phone, ranting about how old she was and how many years she's been in business. While shouting, her son bolted in front of me. As a veteran worldwide diner, a native Washingtonian, and a professional woman with advanced degrees, their total lack of customer service was beyond ultra rude; it's pathetic & shameful. Their distasteful behavior left such a bad taste in our mouths that we left, not wanting to trust their food service.