“Solid food but slipshod service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Woodley Cafe

Woodley Cafe
Ranked #790 of 3,199 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Durham, NC
“Solid food but slipshod service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

While on our way from the Zoo to the Metro, we wanted a place for a late lunch that wasn't a chain or too expensive. The descriptions of the day's specials on the sandwich board lured us in.

The food itself was good, with generous portions - both my husband and son left food on their plates that they just couldn't finish - and reasonable prices. However the kitchen was very slow and it took nearly 30 minutes for our meals to arrive. The waitstaff was also slow and somewhat inattentive, though they were always pleasant to us. They were careful to double-check our orders before putting them into the kitchen and comply with requests like leaving items off.

If they could speed up their kitchen a bit and make sure the waiters circulate more, this would have been an excellent experience.

Cuenca, Ecuador
“Don't go”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I asked for a chicken salad with spinach - it took almost 25 minutes. The service was really slow and then at some point of my meal some bug falls from the ceiling into my shirt. I didn't know what it was, a cockroach, a spider, I didn't see. Unfortunately it was just after paying my check so I couldn't return my meal.

I saw a McDonald's and a Chipotle right in front of it. Go there, even if you don't like them.

• Visited June 2013
“Not for one looking for a quick breakfast.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Outdoor seating was a plus, but kitchen service was very slow, wait staff was ok, not always attentive. At least they were cordial and not rude. Eggs Benedict were fine but no better than average...the english muffins took it down a notch and were nothing to right home about. The McDonalds, across the street, has better hash browns.

For DC it was reasonably priced.

Teguzco
“I don't know”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

what it is about the restaurants on this block, but service was an issue with every one I tried. The Woodley Cafe had the honor of providing not only the worst service, but snotty service to boot. (No, no noses were running.)

I first tried the Woodley for breakfast, it being one of the two cafes in the immediate area that seemed to offer it. The Woodley, however, doesn't open until 8:00 a.m., an odd hour for a breakfast spot.

My second attempt found it open, but with a sign asking that guests wait to be seated. Silly me, I did, only to have two women blow by me and the sign, take a seat and commandeer the waiter. I never was offered a table, so followed their lead and took my own, only to be ignored there as well.

Two gentlemen stood waiting to be seated as I had and I overheard the host tell them no table was available. My wife and offered half of our table for four and they were quickly seated. And then given menus and had their orders taken before us.

Unfortunately, the food was not at all worth the wait: two substandard eggs over easy, served with air temperature hashbrowns (not cooked until crisp, as I'd requested) and cold, unbuttered wheat toast, with two paper thin slices of already cooled bacon. Oddly enough, the server insisted on bringing me catsup, even though I'd told him I didn't want it.

I can't speak to the Woodley for any other meal, but if I find myself seeking breakfast in this neighborhood again, I'll choose the competing Open City Cafe a block or so away. Or even the McDonald's across the street.

• Visited May 2013
Springfield, MO, US
“Food average, service terrible.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

We ate here for breakfast, basically because there were few other choices open for breakfast. We waited quite a while to be served, and even longer for our drinks.
When the food finally arrived, it was ok, just nothing special.

• Visited May 2013