“Disappointing stay at what is supposed to be the flagship brand”

Marriott Marquis Washington, DC
Ranked #61 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
DC
“Disappointing stay at what is supposed to be the flagship brand”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

I was very disappointed with my recent stay at the new Marquis, mostly due to the physical property and partially due to some oversights by the staff. In short, do not stay here if you are used to typical Marriott quality and service or if you actually like to sleep.

Let me preface this by noting that I travel for business every week, all year---I stay in Marriott properties more nights than my own home. My expectation, whether it is a Fairfield Inn or Ritz Carlton, is that I have a clean, quiet room. Very simple--that's it.

Upon arriving at the property, was greeted by a bellhop that recognized me from another property that he used to work at---he handled my luggage and walked me to the front desk--great service and excellent ambassador for the Marriott brand.

This positive experience quickly went south at the check in desk. The hotel had originally placed me in an interior courtyard-facing room with two double beds. I'm Platinum traveling on business alone---why on earth would I ever want an interior room facing a noisy courtyard with two double beds?? After several minutes, they were able to find another room on a different floor with a king bed. I got my keys and went up.

When I arrived at the room, IT WAS STILL and interior room facing the courtyard. Fine, I thought, I can deal with this, its only three nights and I'm tired. Then I walked into bathroom--there was hair in the shower!! I walked back into the room and noticed some dirt or crumbs on the carpet!! Clearly this room had not been cleaned!!

I went back down to the front desk and spoke with someone who was very helpful and almost immediately found me an exterior room w/king bed on a high floor. Why didn't they just give me this room in the first place????

I can't speak to all of the rooms, but the construction quality of the room I ended up in was very, very poor---it looked like they were rushing to open the hotel and just slapped the rooms together as quickly as possible. Caulk was caked onto the counter, door, floor; there were paint splatters all over the place; there were sections of tile missing grout. Very sloppy. Not what you would expect from what is supposed to be a flagship Marriott brand and from a hotel that regularly gets $300+/night---it felt like I was staying in a half finished room. Again, I thought, fine I can live with this---I won't come back here, certainly not at these rates, but I can live with this. THEN THE NOISE STARTED.

I can't fault my neighbors in the next room---they were watching TV, talking on the phone, and conducting all their business at a normal volume. I COULD HEAR EVERYTHING. The walls in this hotel must be made out of tissue paper and balsa wood. In fact, I could see light from my neighbor's room coming through a little crack between the top of our shared wall and the ceiling. Again--very, very poor, rushed construction and not what I would expect from this brand or at this price point. This is a $300+/night hotel, not some roadside motor lodge off the highway.

Finally, there was no folio slipped under my door this morning---very annoying.

Clearly the kinks haven't been worked out yet and the physical condition of the rooms leave much to be desired. I will not be staying at this property again.

On a side note---the lounge is awesome and the food at the bar was surprisingly good.

Room Tip: Exterior room far from the elevator or any terrace
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank cmercado333
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Hello Cmercado333,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! I would also like to personally thank you for your loyalty to the Marriott brand. We were glad to see you were given a warm welcome upon entry to our property, from one of our bellmen. However, I apologize that the check-in process was so difficult for you. It is unacceptable for you to be checked into a dirty room.
I would like to speak to you further about your stay, and would love to have the opportunity to connect with you. It is our mission to provide a brilliant experience for all of our guests, and we would love to have the opportunity to please you with your second stay.
Take Care,
Lauren.Murphy@Marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Traveling every year to different cities to host our annual conference, I have been able to stay at some real gems. The Marriott Marquis in DC is fabulous. Convenient to everything. All the attractions and a wide array of eateries even with 17th in the hotel. The staff and amenities are top notch. Rooms comfortable and stocked with whatever your need. The business center is convenient and has enough com poo uterus so that it there wasn't a wait for me when I needed to use it. The biggest fault to this hotel is that my cellular service (Verizon) did NOT work in the hotel unless I was in the, lobby or outside. Very much an inconvenience. The gym was well equipped however if you chose to go on a run, run around the city.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Hello Michael W,
Thank you for taking the time to review how your recent stay with us went! We certainly value our guests thoughts, and were thrilled to see you had an enjoyable stay. Our fitness center certainly is a great option for guests, but you are also correct that running around the area is very appealing as well.
We deeply apologize you had difficulty with your cellular connection. Unfortunately AT&T is the only provider in this area who has rights to the cellular tower in the area of this hotel. However, we have been working diligently with all providers- to ensure that all of our guests receive flawless cellular connection within The Marriott Marquis Washington D.C.
Thank you again, we hope to see you again soon!
St Pete, FL
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Spent a long weekend at this new property. Overall I found the physical property to be in great shape as you would expect, and the staff to be very good. I particularly enjoyed the M Room on the 12th floor as it was available 24/7 for snakes & beverages and was very spacious compared with other Marriott properties. Location for tourists is a little off the beaten path but it's only one block to the Metro station or a few extra blocks of walking. I would certainly stay again, but there are a number of other Marriott properties in DC worth considering as well.

Room Tip: 12th floor room is ideal for M Room access if you are an MR member.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Blueeyedme,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! Our property strives to create memorable experiences for all of our guests, and are thrilled this was the case for you. We hope to see you again soon!
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed 3 nights at this Marriott, first time. Allover it´s like so often: for a good hardware you need enough money, excellent architects and good craftsmen. And there are many Hotel companies who have this. But the difference will at least be made by the "software", the people... And there´s a lot do do for the management at this hotel.
- arrival hotel driveway : not busy at all, anyhow even the valet staff welcomed us, we had to take our (quiet heavy) luggage out of the car ourselves and also to carry to our room...
- check in friendly, but because we did not like the view out of our first room (120..) to the hotel lobby (atrium) and wanted to change, nobody told us to use the opposite elevator and we had to carry the luggage al the long way to the other floor and room again (nice after a long travel...)
- the room was clean and functional, also very quiet (10124)
- no bathrobes, no slippers. we called housekeeping and received bathrobes but no slippers as they "didn´t have any".... what a standard/answer???
- Internet (wifi) as the hotel is brand new is very fast (extra charge)
- M-Lounge (Executive Lounge) 10th floor: very nice, spacious but no flowers or further decoration, no parasols at the terrace (32 C° + sunshine.. nobody cares about..)
and on friday and saturday your dollar at this Marriott is worth only 50 cents....no food (except breakfast and some veggie sticks), no wine/beer as aperitif...
- housekeeping: our room wasn´t cleaned on the second day of our stay (left by 11 a.m.), even if I told front office they took notice but nothing happened.... (and: no, we did not leave the "not disturb sign"!)
- laundry 10th floor: we wanted to wash some laundry but the vending machines for the washing powder where out of order, so we could´t
- Bar Dignitary: service was friendly, drinks and kitchen good (we had burgers)
- check out via online, but also we helped ourselves with the heavy luggage to put into the car again
- to answer one of the standard questions of the Marriott survey: no, I did not feel valued as a MR member...
- some staff where very helpful and friendly, some where not at all (bellman, housekeeping, reception)
- Hotel is well located near city center
Allover: due to the weekend rate it might have been an appropriate deal, from the point of view as a regular guest and the expectations on a Marriott Marquis it wasn´t.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Max v
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Hello Max V,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed description of how your recent stay with us went. Our M Cloub Lounge is an exclusive offering for our Elite guests, located on the 12th floor. We have chosen to delight our guests though offering access 24 hours 7 days a week, and with complimentary breakfast every day. There are hors d'oeuvres and desserts available for our guests from Sunday-Thursday.
We apologize for the negative instances which you included in your review. Upon your next visit, our bellmen would be happy to assist you with your luggage. If you do happen to give us a second chance, please feel free to email me so I can ensure you have a brilliant stay. We hope to see you again soon!
Take Care,
Lauren Murphy
Lauren.Murphy@Marriott.com
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

I attended a great company meeting here, and found the venue to be quite nice. The staff were friendly and the layout worked well for what we were doing. Depending on the breakout activities we sometimes found ourselves in the conveniently attached convention center next door. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for it's cleanliness, location and staff.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Hello Rob K,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! We certainly are a convenient option for our convention guests, and we are appreciative you chose to stay at the Marriott Marquis Washington DC. Once again, thank you for your review- we hope to see you again soon!
Virginia, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2014

First, despite what others have indicated, our service was awesome! Probably some of the best we've had in Marriott brands. Valet, front desk, housekeeping, and restaurant staff were all very pleasant, prompt, and friendly.

I love the contemporary modern decor and found several little things were well chosen additions like, lamps with 2 USB & 2 electric outlets on base, additional outlets/USB at desk, LED reading lights on headboard, huge shower, and closet with shelves. The power sources were much appreciated traveling with 2 teen boys with numerous electronic devices! Considering today's technological electronic world I am not happy about paying for WiFi at a hotel though.

We had room service that was priced like most places, delivery was exceptionally fast, food quality/taste good, and it was packaged like a take out order which we found very convenient.
There is an American diner style restaurant in lobby with a nice breakfast buffet, a little over priced but large variety to choose from. Lunch in same diner was way too expensive although it was very good.

I chose this hotel because it was across the street from the convention center which can be accessed underground from the hotel.

My only negative comment is parking! We live within easy driving distance which is actually a disadvantage here. Parking is valet only, limited, and extremely expensive!! (almost $100 for 2 nights). That's too high even for DC!

Would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a King room with city view on a high floor near the elevators. Noise from inside and out was...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hello Debi R,
What a pleasure it was to read about your recent stay with us! Our property was designed with our guests needs in mind, so we are thrilled you appreciated the layout of the guest rooms. Our Dining Your Way option was desinged in response to our guests concerns that traditional room service was too pricey, inconvenient, and took too much time. Dining Your Way alleviated these issues to provide our guests with fresh food, in a quick manner, while at a reasonable price with no delivery fees.
We hope to see you again soon!
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed August 14, 2014

This is a fairly new hotel and it has a futuristic quality. I stayed during a large international IT conference that was going on at the DC convention center. This hotel "fit" perfectly with that event. Everything is new and modern.

I had a great view from a high floor and my room was very comfortable (modern though not elegant). Very nice bathroom and shower.

The hotel is very large and the hallways are so long that you may find yourself with a long walk from the elevators, depending on your room location. Impressive, modern atrium.

Nice concierge lounge. Excellent fitness center but no pool.

This is very much a business hotel; I probably wouldn't recommend it for families or for vacation travel.

I did run into a problem at check-in, when my feather-free room was not yet available at 5:30 pm. I was given a key to wait at the concierge lounge and was there for about an hour when the front desk called. This was slightly annoying but sometimes these things happen.

While this hotel is convenient to the DC convention center, it is not the best immediate area in terms of a wide selection of restaurants. However, within about 10-12 minutes walk, you can get to the area around Chinatown and Gallery Place.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank ATLDawg
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Hello ATLDawg,
Thank you for taking the time to review how your recent stay with us went! We certainly appreciate our convention guests, and are honored you chose to stay with us. Our property does have a modern and sleek design while stilll having a warm touch of service. We apologize that you had to wait a bit for your feather-free room, and very much appreciate your patience. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to house you again soon!
Take Care!