“DC Convention Style”

Ranked #63 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Maryland
“DC Convention Style”
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

If your coming to DC and will be at the convention center then this hotel is an obvious choice, the hotel is brand new, clean and fresh.

This is a superior hotel though I would not call it luxury it's just a convention hotel with the best convention center location.

If you want an upscale boutique hotel in DC then stay at a Kimpton.

Stayed July 2014
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Hello RS4Traveler,
Thank you for sharing how your recent stay with us went! We take great pride in our service, property and location. You are also correct that we certainly are a convenient choice for our conference guests. Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle
Reviewed July 29, 2014

It is an amazing hotel for a conference given the connecting tunnel to the convention center - brand new, beautiful expansive lobby, and nice "business" rooms. The beds are very comfortable which is key for me. A few interesting things to mention: they are going with the new trend to down scale room service. Less expensive, but they send it to you in a bag. Given most people are business travelers at the hotel and still want to be conscious of money, they also tend to want a nice meal delivered to their room (not a boxed lunch). The wait staff in the lobby were very nice, but also didn't know the menu / wine list well either. Housekeeping also didn't replace shower gel / soap on two visits even though I needed more. Random comment - the bathroom door was funny - couldn't open / close and easily get ready for bed/shower etc. I was still happy to stay at the Marriot Marquis - hope it's just opening jitters.

Room Tip: Many rooms look over the indoor atrium, so request an outdoor view if that's important to you.
2 Thank SeaTraveler77
Hello Seatraveler77,
Thank you for sharing how your recent stay with us went. We love taking care of our conference guests!
Due to feedback we have received from our guests, that typical room service takes too long, is an invasion of privacy, and is too pricey; we have established a new service for our guests, titled Dining Your Way. Dining Your Way is a program which delivers fresh meals to our guests, in a quick manner, packed conveniently for our busy guests, while still being available at a fair price.
Thank you for sharing your other reviews with us as well. I will be sure to speak to our team about these items, and we will use them as a learning opportunity.
We hope to see you again soon!
Ontario
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in early July for two nights having gotten a good price from Priceline. The location is great (especially, if you're attending a conference) for visiting Chinatown, shopping and are in good shape to walk about 20-25 minutes to the Mall in hot weather (there is local bus service that will get you closer to the Mall, and of course, the Metro). We have no complaints about the service personnel, which was friendly and efficient. The hotel is a bit pricey for parking ($53 tax included), eating at the Anthem restaurant (we found the $16 Good Start breakfast buffet to be the best value) and, yes, you have to pay for internet connection in your room. Despite this, we enjoyed the newness of the hotel and will consider staying here again for future visits.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank kreuz_fan
Hello kreuz_fan,
What a pleasure it was to read about your recent stay! We indeed are located in a central location, being extremely close to many locations including Chinatown and the conference center. Thanks again for your review, and we hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Good location, close to main attractions, great sports bar and restaurants, Starbucks on site, amazing gym, very clean and good customer service, there is a little bit of noise from the street, but not too bad.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hi Henigd,
What a pleasure it was to read about your recent stay with us! We were happy to see that you were able to take advantage of many of the offerings our property extends to our guests. Hopefully we will see you and your family again soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This was my boyfriend and I's second stay in D.C. and while we stayed at the Marriott at Metro Center previously, we decided to give the Marriott Marquis a try. The hotel was beautiful upon entry-huge, elaborate lobby, bar in atrium, and plenty of seating. We chose to do valet parking because it was easier than finding near impossible free parking. It was average for any city: about $50 for the night. We were escorted to our room problem free by two excellent bell-hops. No major problems to this point. However, I noticed that we were right next to the elevator, which made our night of trying to sleep HELL. I have stayed in rooms at other hotels before where the room was right next to the elevator, but have never had any issues. After arriving back to the room at 12:30, we had a group of unsupervised teenage basketball girls screaming and running down our hallway. I let it go since it was relatively "early." We decided to go to sleep around 1:00, which did not happen. Every half hour, a group would come off of the elevator screaming/laughing/running/etc. I called down to the front desk TWICE and no one ever picked up. I finally fell asleep around 4am only to be woken up by a group of young adults SCREAMING talking to each other and laughing outside our door. I finally had enough, opened the door and demanded that they leave. One of the girls yelled "calm the **** down!" as if I was interrupting her loud conversation outside my door at 4am. If you decide to stay at this hotel, make sure you request to stay FARRRRR away from the elevator, and bring earplugs anyway..you might end up with a screaming group of idiots outside your door too.

Room Tip: Far from elevator.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mkhawk2014
Hello Mkhawk2014,
We were pleased to see you enjoyed your experience with our bell men, and that you enjoyed our hotel's design. However, I would like to sincerely apologize for the negatives you associated with your stay. Our property does have many groups stay with us, and we apologize if a fellow guest disrupted you. We hope to have another chance to provide you with a brilliant stay.
Please feel free to reach out to me with any other questions or concerns, and please also reach out if you decide to give us another shot and stay with us again in the future.
Take care,
Lauren Murphy
Lauren.Murphy@Marriott.com
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed here 7/23 to 7/25/24 for a conference and for a brand new hotel, this place has some serious problems. It was almost impossible to get a phone signal anywhere in the hotel. I have Verizon and I could not get a signal in the conference areas (underground), service was very spotty in the lobby, and I could only get a signal in my room if I sat in the chair next to the window and didn't move. I couldn't even get texts messages to go through to the colleague who came to the conference with me, and when I'd finally get a signal, I would end up with a bunch of work related calls and messages that I should have received hours earlier. The internet was also subpar and expensive--$16.99/day for supposed high-speed or $12.99 for basic. I felt very cut off from work and home, which is unacceptable during a work-week conference out of town. I would think twice about hosting a conference at this facility, at least until they remedy these issues.

On to the positives: The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are very clean. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom facilities were very nice. The common areas were also very pretty. As for service, everyone I encountered was extremely helpful and pleasant. The area is also really fun and there are quite a few walkable restaurants and bars. I hope they fix their telephone and internet issues; it's such a waste to have a brand new beautiful hotel that just isn't equipped for the 21st century.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room as opposed to an interior room--maybe you'll get better cell phone serv...
3 Thank Theresa B
Hello Theresa B,
Thank you for sharing your recent conference experience with us. What a pleasure it was to hear how you felt about our service and guest rooms! Within our hotel we do have five restaurant outlets for our guests to choose from, in addition to having a close vicinity to many other restaurants.
I'm sorry you had a difficult time receiving cellular connection within our property. Unfortunately AT&T is the only provider in this area who has rights to the cellular tower in the area of this hotel. However, we have been working diligently with all providers- to ensure that all of our guests receive flawless cellular connection within The Marriott Marquis Washington D.C.
Thank you again, we hope to see you again soon!

Take care,
Lauren Murphy
Lauren.Murphy@Marriott.com
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I was at the Marriott for 4 days to attend a conference in DC. The service was unbelievable. From the time I arrived I was treated fantastically. Checkin was a breeze and the young lady that took card of me was absolutely sweet and informative when I inquired on what was around the hotel. Perfect directions. I had room 5017 and it was great as it overlooked the atrium. Quiet, clean and housekeeping was exceptional. People and service was definitely above par.

Hello 131rav,
What a pleasure it was to read about your recent stay with us! Our property works diligently to provide an exemplary experience for our guests, so we are thrilled to see this was the case for you. Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with the Marriott Marquis Washington D.C. for your recent convention! We hope to see you again soon.