“New hotel, comfortable rooms, love the built in USB ports.”

Marriott Marquis Washington, DC
Ranked #63 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Great location next to the Washington DC convention center. Large, open lobby, friendly and efficient reception. I was quite surprise, though, when none of the hotel staff bothered to ask if I need assistance with my bags. Not that I did, but usually the staff in places like this are fawning over you....not a peep, just glances from staff members.
I liked the room, it was new, with a comfortable bed and a nice sitting chair. Big flat screen TV with plenty of channels and not old old annoying Marriott welcome screen. What I really liked were the numerous USB ports next to electrical outlets and even bedside.
Valet parking is a bit pricey, but all parking in DC is expensive.
I would recommend this property. Very clean.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2014

Hello TheMulv,
What a pleasure it was to read about your recent stay! We designed our guest rooms with our guests' in mind, so we are very happy to see that you enjoyed all of the additions we have installed. I'm very sorry to hear that you were dissapointed with your lack of bag assistance. I will be sure to speak to our team about this, and use this as a learning opportunity. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, we hope to see you again soon!
Take Care,
Lauren.Murphy@Marriott.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,771)

Reviewed July 25, 2014

I spent a week at this hotel while attending a meeting held in the hotel. It is so new that they were still adding some finishing touches to some of the rooms. However, it is located across the street from the DC Convention center and close to many of the DC attractions. There is a very spacious and attractive lobby that spans the entrance to the hotel. The fitness center was excellent, two floors with abundant cardio, machines and free weights. We had many meals during the course of the meeting and many of my colleagues commented on how good the food was. The meeting space is on the lower floors of the hotel and easy to get to and well laid out. The only minor problem during the stay was no hot water my first morning. However, once I informed the hotel it was quickly fixed. I would definitely recommend the property to those travelling to DC, especially if you will be attending meetings at the Convention center.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms face out into the lobby, this means less privacy but less street noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Hi NCSoccerDad,
Thank you for taking the time to share how your recent experience with us went! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and have so many great positives to share with us. I agree that our fitness center is a great addition to our property, spanning a total of 8,000 sq feet!
I'm sorry to hear about your water heating issue, but I am glad to see this was remedied to your liking. If you would like to talk to me more, please feel free to email me. Otherwise, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Location is phenomenal. Front desk service is outstanding. Lobby is extremely spacious with lots of places to sit, meet friends and hang out. Access to the Convention Center is dreamy. And the shampoo/lotion/soap amenities smell divine and are kind of cool.

Our 5th floor standard two double room was average, on the small side. Being directly over the hotel's entrance was extremely noisy - what with sirens, cab whistles, cars honking, late night speedsters, DEFINITELY ask for an interior room. Usually a hotel room has a fan that I can use for "white noise," but not the case here. Nice to have a small fridge in the room. I got perfect cell phone coverage (unlike some other reviewers) -- maybe due to my room's unfortunate location!

My bed felt too soft. The bathroom is very small and as other reviewers said, has nowhere to hang towels. Cleaning service seems lackadaisical. Tap water in DC IMHO is unfortunately not drinkable so I was forced to look for bottled. In my case, water in vending machines on two floors were empty, so I had to purchase very high priced water in the gift shop as a result.

The fact that internet cost me $13 a day was not okay. And the business center's internet is 40 cents a minute! So there is nowhere to access complimentary internet. Grr.

We will be staying here again next year due to its proximity to the Convention Center and it's really not a BAD hotel. I just had higher hopes.

P.S. Since it is BRAND NEW, I was hoping to find an ecologically progressive alternative to the waste of thousands of little plastic bottles of shampoo every year. Can't Marriott install a refillable pump container of gel, shampoo and conditioner in the shower?? That would make so much sense on so many levels! Come on guys -- show some leadership.

Room Tip: Get an interior room overlooking the inside courtyard. If a handicap accessible room happens to be...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Hello r82913,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us! Our property does offer complimentary internet in our lounge and public areas, while also offering WIFI within our guest rooms for an additional cost.
Marriott is also very committed to protecting the environment. Our property is a LEED certified hotel, which we have gained through our green initiatives. One initiative we have taken on is reducing our hotel's carbon footprint, through emailing our guest folio's, rather than printing every folio out unneccesarily. Thank you for sharing your feedback on this subject, we are always looking for additional ways to impove our hotel.
We look forward to seeing you upon your next visit!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

This new hotel had a modern airy feel to it. You can tell that it caters highly to conventions. Our family stayed for Independence Day and while we had nothing to complain about, the hustle and bustle that a property this size has was not as ideal for family travel. The room direction signage in the hallways could be more abundant--perhaps all of the signs were not yet installed.
The concierge lounge is lovely and our breakfast buffet on the mezzanine was great. Our room didn't have much of a view, but the hotel isn't near anything too scenic.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Hello 1travelmum,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are happy you and your family chose to spend your Independence Day with us! Hopefully we will see you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We were forced to stay here after our original hotel (Omni Shoreham) overbooked and had to move us. From the moment we arrived they were very accommodating and had a room ready for us right away. The room was gorgeous and spacious and so clean!! The location was so convenient, just a five minute walk to the metro station (which then took about less than 10 minutes to get us to the Smithsonian/National Mall). Everyone was so nice and helpful. The only complaint I have is the service in the restaurants. We ate dinner one night in High Velocity and breakfast the next morning in Anthem. In both restaurants, the service was slow. We had to wait about 20 minutes after we finished eating for our check, which was bothersome considering we wanted to get our day started. I actually had to get up and ask the hostess to find our waiter to give us the check. But regardless, still such a wonderful stay!!! It's only about two months old and I hope that it stays this beautiful because if we return to DC, we will only stay here!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Rtrethaway

Hello Rtrethaway!
What a pleasure it was to read about your positive experience! W are glad to have had the opportunity to serve you. Our property certainly is located in a central location in the city, and we are glad you had an easy time navigating around.
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your restaurant service, I will be sure to forward this to our Food & Beverage department, so we may use this as a learning experience going forward.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for business. My husband had training's downstairs in the convention rooms all day and I just played tourist. :) The room was very nice the only bad thing was the phone reception in our room was horrible!!! The hotel was in walking distance of China town and a lot of nice restaurants and stores. The Starbucks they had in the hotel had wonderful staff and made excellent coffees. My husband loved the bar they had downstairs. The sitting areas were very nice to enjoy my coffee and read. They kept the lobby area VERY cold. I was a little disappointed it didn't have a pool or hot tub but the work out room was HUGE!! It is 2 levels and has every sort of machine you could imagine...very impressive!! We would stay there again while on business but if it was for a family vacation or for pleasure we would look for a hotel with a pool.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Hi Alicialn06,
What a pleasure it was to house you and your husband recently! As a convention hotel, we love providing memorable experiences for our attending guests. I'm pleased to see that you were able to venture around the area while your husband was attending his trainings. If business ever brings you back to D.C., we hope that you will choose to stay with us again. I would also suggest speaking with our concierge in the lobby area, to hear about additional adventures you may like to take a part of.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We chose this hotel based on the size of the room, the shower-only bathroom and based on the name. I did my research before booking, so I knew what others had to stay and knew what to expect.

The Good:
-Employees were nice, everyone welcomed us and held conversations with us (at the front desk, in the elevator, etc.)
-I asked for a street view room based on other reviews and I was happy with that because the atrium was rather dark due to lack of sun outside.
-Room was spacious, it was the smallest room we've ever stayed it was cozy; don't think I could have stayed in a smaller room like other DC hotels.
-Lighting in the bathroom was great.
-The Fitness Center (24hrs) is awesome, OMG, it's two floors of great equipment. People complain about the lack of a pool but there gym makes up for it, big time. My husband loved it.
-We did not have any problems with cellphone service unlike other reviewers.

The Bad:
-The room was not properly cleaned upon arrival. For a new hotel, I was rather shocked to see so many scuffs on the wall, makeup stains on the bathroom doorway and a chuck of the closet door chipped off. My husband opened a drawer and there were discarded clothing store tags and crumbs all over. The toilet was not properly cleaned and the towel in the shower smelled like dirty laundry. (This was improved the next two days, everything was cleaned nicely).
-There is only one towel hook very close to the toilet, there wasn't enough space for us to hang both towels.
-The bathroom door does not have a lock and their is a small gap between the wall and the door, so if someone stands at a certain angle they can see everything reflected in the mirror.
-Every time someone flushed their toilet ours would make a noise, this took some getting used to the first night.
-Sometimes, the water took a while to heat up.
-We ate at Anthem for breakfast Saturday and Sunday and I'll be honest it seemed a little too greasy to us. The eggs seemed to be cooked in melted butter and just tasted like butter and nothing else. The hash browns were really greasy. But no complaints on the service.
-If you want bottled water or snacks, I would suggest you go to the CVS on the next block, of course, the Gift Shop will be overpriced.

Overall, it wasn't a bad stay. No complaints about the elevators, we didn't have to wait long at all. We did have an issue with valet when leaving, their system was down one day and we were properly charged and when we checked out we weren't told about that. When we went to get our car, we had to go to the valet cashier and clear everything up before we could get our car, which took some time. Apparently, we could have called in advance to get our car faster.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Asg845,
Our hotel strives to provide every guest with a brilliant hotel stay. We were pleased to see that you approved of our service, and of our fitness center. I agree that our 8,000 square feet fitness center is a hidden gem within D.C.
However a few of your comments concern me. Please feel free to email me regarding the cleanliness issues you shared. We greatly appreciate guest feedback, as we aim to continually fulfill our guests' needs.
Take Care,