“Really fun atmosphere”

Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Branson, Missouri, United States
“Really fun atmosphere”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were excited to discover this restaurant as we walked around. The sushi was great. We ate in a very creatively designed room that felt like an underwater cave. We liked the contemporary music selections as well.

Visited March 2013

connecticut
“Later that evening... boisterous crowded, sushi karaoke”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Had seats at the sushi bar and marveled at all the 20,30 somthings reveling in a community sing karaoke. Small place 10-15 tables; hundred or so folks all seeming to have a good time.

Was about 11pm when we arrived and took the last two chairs at the sushi bar.

Found Japone by Groupon. 4 rolls, large Sapporo, sake $50 with $20/40 Groupon -- Score!

Visited February 2013
Hyattsville, Maryland
“Not Thrilled.”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I've had the food a couple of times. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything memorable. Possibly even more disappointing was that their beer selection sucks. I'm not rude in reviews, and I like to give support where it's due, but yeah. When Sapporo is the best you have for beer, you need to rethink your libations.
The karaoke is somewhat redeeming, though when we went, there was a crowd of like five or six people for the majority of the time. Thankfully, I wasn't sober enough to let this bother me. Lame.
As far as food goes, there's a lot of selection within DC. They could be doing much better. I have no desire to return to Cafe Japone.

• Visited May 2012
NYC
“Unusual Place!”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Sensual downstairs. Make sure you visit the back room. Loved the faux gras (spelling?). Not what you would expect at a Japanese restaurant.

Visited November 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Actively mean and condescending to customers...don't use your Groupon there: not worth being treated like dirt”
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Rude, Horrid Service - discriminatory against Groupon users.

Our bill had a service fee attached to it. The hostess came and explained at length that some Groupon users only tipped 5% and that's why they added the tip on. She physically pointed at the bill and said the amount was 20%. She was mean, condescending, and rude. It was implied that we too were non-tippers because we used a Groupon. It was explicitly stated that this was a Groupon requirement. She begrudgingly said that they could take off the service fee if we "really wanted." We said we would like that.

Then, the waitress came with the bill. Instead of giving us a new bill, she said that she'd heard we'd had a problem with the bill. Then, we got a second condescending and angry explanation how some people only left a 5% tip. She was even more angry and condescending to us. She insisted that it was a Groupon requirement that we be charged a mandatory fee, and physically pointed to the reminder on the Groupon. After we pointed out that the language of the Groupon reminder was a reminder and not a requirement, she eventually huffed off muttering what the bill was with out the mandatory service fee.

We ended up paying in cash, and leaving a tip around 18%. (I am not a jerk - plus, we really really wanted to get out of there.)

When I gave handed her the payment, I told the waitress we didn't need any change. She blurted out sarcastically, and a little menacingly, "Oh I WILL give you change."

This is the service we got for the 20% mandatory tip they demanded:

First, I had to get up twice for service. Once, I had to get up and ask her for water because I couldn't wait any longer. It was a hot day, and we were seated in a sunny part of the restaurant. Then I had to get up to find someone to ask about the service fee on the bill.

We were also served a dish that required forks. She should have known this, and when I asked for forks (so that we can eat the served dish) she didn't give it to us right away. I had to turn and ask for forks a second time while she was counting cash.

There are also flies in the restaurant. I know because one died in my rice.

• Visited July 2011