“Unusual Place!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Sensual downstairs. Make sure you visit the back room. Loved the faux gras (spelling?). Not what you would expect at a Japanese restaurant.

Reviewed July 2, 2011

Rude, Horrid Service - discriminatory against Groupon users.

Our bill had a service fee attached to it. The hostess came and explained at length that some Groupon users only tipped 5% and that's why they added the tip on. She physically pointed at the bill and said the amount was 20%. She was mean, condescending, and rude. It was implied that we too were non-tippers because we used a Groupon. It was explicitly stated that this was a Groupon requirement. She begrudgingly said that they could take off the service fee if we "really wanted." We said we would like that.

Then, the waitress came with the bill. Instead of giving us a new bill, she said that she'd heard we'd had a problem with the bill. Then, we got a second condescending and angry explanation how some people only left a 5% tip. She was even more angry and condescending to us. She insisted that it was a Groupon requirement that we be charged a mandatory fee, and physically pointed to the reminder on the Groupon. After we pointed out that the language of the Groupon reminder was a reminder and not a requirement, she eventually huffed off muttering what the bill was with out the mandatory service fee.

We ended up paying in cash, and leaving a tip around 18%. (I am not a jerk - plus, we really really wanted to get out of there.)

When I gave handed her the payment, I told the waitress we didn't need any change. She blurted out sarcastically, and a little menacingly, "Oh I WILL give you change."

This is the service we got for the 20% mandatory tip they demanded:

First, I had to get up twice for service. Once, I had to get up and ask her for water because I couldn't wait any longer. It was a hot day, and we were seated in a sunny part of the restaurant. Then I had to get up to find someone to ask about the service fee on the bill.

We were also served a dish that required forks. She should have known this, and when I asked for forks (so that we can eat the served dish) she didn't give it to us right away. I had to turn and ask for forks a second time while she was counting cash.

There are also flies in the restaurant. I know because one died in my rice.

2  Thank marshmallowsforever
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Sushi isn't great, but the karaoke is lots of fun!

Reviewed February 6, 2010

Ate at the cafe upstairs, used to be great. Over a decade ago.

Still decent fish, but ordered a chirashi, and my "mock" crab mocked me by still including the plastic wrapper. So... an edo sushi experience where you are chewing on a strip of plastic. Yuck.

Absolutely indifferent service, seated by a window that didn't close, o'cha a glass of tasteless brownish water. O'cha is free and worth every penny that you don't pay for it.

Some sort of a trustafarian chef with dreadlocks and service which really seems utterly disinterested, mostly watching TLC on TV as to good food places. Which this isn't one anymore. Too bad, used to be great.

Reviewed January 3, 2010

This place is terrible, the waitresses and bartenders are incredibly rude and the place itself is an absolute dump. Do not go here unless you are looking for a terrible time.