“decent food, not great”
Review of Taj of India

Taj of India
Reserve with OpenTable
Taj of India is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #580 of 3,463 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Transit: Foggy Bottom Metro
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I love trying indian food around the world and generally speaking this place was pretty good. It lacked what I like best about indian food though. I love the intense flavors, the spice, the buttery crispy nan and new tastes. We had the usuals curry, biryani, etc and they were all just OK. I forgot how much I like Kingfisher beer though. The service was uninspired to put it nicely.
Whatever...this place was just ok.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We're not the greatest experts on Indian food, but Taj served some of the best we've eaten. Not the best ... Handi in Falls Church takes that prize ... but it was still wonderful. Nothing fancy about this little place on M Street. Inexpensive as Georgetown restaurants go, and tend to get crowded very early. As good as the food was, it was the service that was most impressive. This is not one of those places where the servers seem to be off in some parallel universe giggling at you as you're vainly looking for them. Nope, the staff at Taj are there, in the dining room, alert to your slightest twitch. Once you're seated, water comes instantly. When you're through, the dishes are whisked aside and the crumbs (and the inevitable rice grains) carefully scraped from the table. Want the check? You've got it. Ready to pay? They're right there. Hard to say enough good things about this place. Great food and great service at a reasonable price.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My family and I ate at Taj Taste of India just inside Georgetown about nine years ago when my kids were 12 and ten years old. They loved it and so did we. When friends from Germany visited recently we went to DC and stayed for two nights. On the second night we went back to Taj. I was a little concerned that maybe the quality had dipped in the intervening years. But no, the food was again exceptional.

We stated with lamb and veggie samosas - both were awesome. We then had as main courses both lamb and chicken tikka kebab and they were awesome. We also had the chicken makhani, or butter chicken, lamb biryani, and shrimp biryani. For a side dish, besides the standard white rice, we also had aloo ghobi (potatoes and cauliflower) and of course garlic naan.

We asked for mild in deference to our guests but the wonderful spices were still outstanding so the lack of a little heat mattered not.

I just hope we can back down to DC and enjoy Taj again sooner than nearly a decade the next time!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Great place for a group meal! Good food and good service in Georgetown ... especially if you like to share.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I went to Washington to see the cherry blossoms. On the last of my stay we decided to search for Indian restaurants in Georgetown .. We came upon Taj and based on the menu we decided to try.

It was a very good choice. Food was good, service was great and although not a very big restaurant you felt comfortable inside. We ordered chicken vindaloo , Naam, lamb biryani, bhindi masala and mango lassi

Everything was tasty and next time I am in Washington I would pay them, another visit.