“Still waiting to discover them...”

Kotobuki Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #984 of 3,237 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Still waiting to discover them...”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Because we moved to this neighborhood, and friends recommended this place to us, we tried their sushi/sashimi two times, so far (to go). It's a small place, upstairs, very much like any traditional Japanese sushi houses. So far, I am not overly impressed - the shrimps (which I ordered the first time, and avoided the second) were "very dead" by the time they made it to our plate, cucumber rolls were split open, and other rolls were OK, but not mouthwatering. Hmmm... I begin to wonder about my friends' recommendations...

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Stefanek

• Korean first
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
“Great little place”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Very fresh and authentic japanese food. Nothing fancy, no waiting area, no bar and only a few tables. But if you can get it, its worth it!

Visited June 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best sushi in town”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The resto is as small as a 1 bedroom apartment, not too much seats.
I love kamameshi, and they make kamameshi so good it reminds me of home. Their sushi's are pretty reasonable. We had half a dozen of lobster roll sushi and half tuna sashimi. Shumai is ok, and the mochi is something that I can get from the asian grocery. But overall, it is still the best sushi place in Washington D.C!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank PaiMeiLi
Chicago, Illinois
“It's just for the locals!!”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I think anybody writing a wonderful review for this place are from DC and the surrounding areas because the sushi is "lack luster" around these parts and this place must be the lesser of a lot of evil. First, the entire restaurant only seats about 20 and that's packing you all in so tight that my purse knocked over the glass at the table we were being seated next to. The smell when you walk in is FISH. If you say its because its a sushi joint, you need to get out more. Great sushi places that offer really fresh sushi - you don't and wont smell FISH. It was cheap, I will agree with that - we ordered about half the menu and it was only like $60 bucks. The eel was fishy and fatty, we were afraid of the cut - never seen it look that way. The shrimp (blah), the tuna (almost), the salmon (maybe). Nothing was real good but a couple of rolls were real bad (we left them on the plate). It's just not good sushi (it's ok) I just left and I'm really afraid that we might end up sick in the morning. Seriously, if you are NOT from the DC area - don't waste your time, you will be seriously disappointed. The rest of you, go ahead and go, but don't say you weren't cautioned. You will leave thinking...that's 30 minutes of my life I can never get back.

• Visited March 2012
Washington D.C.
“Everyone knows it's great ... and it is!”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We are typically ordering out from Kotobuki - there's simply not enough space. The sushi is reliably good, and well prices.
We'll be back for more!