“Great Thai Food and Box Lunches”
Review of Kanlaya Thai Cuisine - CLOSED

Kanlaya Thai Cuisine
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I went here and both ordered a box lunch (4 items for about 12-15 bucks). She got pineapple and cashew chicken with a great soup and salad. I got eggplant curry with a spring roll and some fried dumplings. Everything was delicious, particularly if you are a fan of eggplant!

There are newer reviews for Kanlaya Thai Cuisine

Reviewed March 15, 2013

After a long morning and much of the early afternoon site seeing we wanted something different for lunch. We started walking through China Town and stumbled across Kanlaya. We both had curry - my husband had the mussamun curry with chicken and I had the red coconut curry with tofu. Both were very authentic and very good! The prices were good for the area too. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for good Thai food in Chinatown.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Washington DC's Chinatown, small but authentic, is located right off a metro stop and as we found out it has a really good Thai restaurant called Kanlaya. Located on 7th street just around the comer from the giant Chinese gateway that spans the street, this restaurant is unassuming and nondescript from the outside but decorated wonderfully on the inside. Done in contemporary colors with an Asian accent we found it warm and inviting. We arrived for a early dinner and were seated immediately. Within a minute our waiter was asking for our drink order so we both enjoyed a cocktail while we explored the menu. Lots of offerings including some with the "spicy" warning for those that are sheepish about their Asian food flavors. We decided to share a spring roll and split the shrimp dish. The spring roll was great with super fresh ingredients and rolled in soft, fresh rice paper........very good! The shrimp dish was spicy and flavorful and mixed with a rice noodle that was perfectly cooked...not too soft...not too hard. We had it served with a side of white rice or if you prefer you can order fried rice. I can't speak enough about the wonderful presentation that this restaurant uses to serve their food. It was colorful, laid out well on the plate and very appealing. It added to the great taste and made Kanlaya light years ahead of most other Asian dining establishments. If you like Thai food and are visiting DC for a day or two then grab a cab or hop on the metro and go to Chinatown. Pass by the other options, seek out Kanlaya.....and Thai one on!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was the most detailed, authentic and comprehensive Thai menu/restaurant I have visited. The atmosphere was warm, cozy and inviting ... especially in DC's China Town on a night that was below freezing. They rightly claim to be the first true Thai Restaurant in China Town, DC ... They opened in 2004. All the ingredients were incredibly fresh. The atmosphere was full of the aroma of thai herbs and spices. The cocktail menu seemed to be created by a professional mixologist and the actual cocktails were phenomenal. Enjoy everything from Tom Yum soup to Papaya Salad. Then delight yourself with a Siamese Kabob or Bikini Shrimp. As an entree you might enjoy the Sizzling Seafood Combination, the Thai Spicy Fried Rice or Salmon Curry ... or how about the Crying Tiger Steak. For dessert, the wonderful dining crew offers Mango & Sticky Rice, Thai Custard or Crispy Banana ... In my book, this is a Chinatown, DC must-experience.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

If you're reading a Thai restaurant review, you probably know the feeling--you've just flown 3000 miles from five time zones away, you've got that itch at the back of your throat signalling a cold coming, and you would commandeer a city bus to get at a vat of Tom Yum soup. Well, fortunately I didn't have to resort to the latter on my recent trip to Washington, DC, as Kanlaya was just a few blocks from my hotel. Although it was getting near closing time, I was greeted so warmly I almost didn't need the soup. I placed a take out order for the soup and fresh vegetable summer rolls. Dashing back to my room, I found the soupstill hot, and so flavorful, so perfect for its kind, I thought for the very first time in my life I might be able to live in DC. To ensure the splendid quality was not a quirk, I returned to Kanlaya the following day and found the staff just as friendly and the food just as good. I can't rate the ambiance, as I took out both times. But everyone dining there seemed comfortable and well looked after. If I lived in the area, I would be a regular. I might even move in.