“Terrific Ethiopian experience”

Ranked #459 of 3,465 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: U Street Corridor
Description: This is an Ethiopian Restaurant serving an ethnic food in the Washington DC area.
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

My son and I love Ethiopian food and frequent Mesob in NJ. I've been visiting Meskerem on trips to DC for years but felt compelled to try Dukem and am glad I did. The shiro, always one of my favorite entrees, was terrific and probably the least greasy rendition I've encountered in more than 20 years of eating Ethiopian cuisine. The injera was well prepared and the shrimp tibs was very fresh and demonstrated a light touch on sauce. The service was friendly and efficient. The place was clean and welcoming. If I wanted to quibble I'd say that the shrimp could've been more jumbo and the atmosphere could improve but this is a great choice for Ethiopian. We visited the shop next door and will try to make shiro at home. For my mom, nj should be proud to have Mesob-the timatim fitfit at Mesob is better than the Dukem salad but both places are great choices.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

...the food is good, but the restaurant is dirty.

Its really difficult to enjoy a meal when you are wondering how clean the kitchen is. This place was dirty. The tables were a bit sticky and everything was dusty.

It was our first time eating Ethiopian food, so I can't say if it was great or not. It was good enough; we liked it. And obviously others like it too because it was packed. But seriously, it needs a deep cleaning.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We got the #30 - meat and vegetable combination platter. The food was truly delicious, superbly seasoned, and the portions generous. Service was ok. Between mosquitoes and dusty decor, the ambience fell short though. Thinking of the food still has me salivating though! Go for the food, but don't bring anyone you want to impress.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Pros: Waiters are knowledgeable. Food is well prepared. Authentic. The combos give you a good taste of everything. Near the U street metro stop.

Cons: The waiters rightfully don't recommend the more traditional Ethiopian options. The combo meal is going to cost you about 15 dollars per person.

Summary: This is a great place to go with a few friends and share some authentic Ethiopian platters.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I read about several Ethiopian restaurants in DC but decided to try this one after looking at other reviews. Took the Metro to the area and it was a few blocks up the street. We were there for dinner about 5 pm and I'm not sure I would want to be in the area after dark.
The waitress was great after we told her we had never had Ethiopian food. She explained all the dishes and let us try their wine. She was very patient with us and made sure we would be happy with what we ordered. The food was great, spicy which was great, and plentiful. I have no other reference to compare it to but it made me want more. Now that we are back in Kansas City, my 10 year old son has been looking up restaurants so we can recreate the experience.

1  Thank Aly A