“My first experience eating Ethiopian food. I'm reluctant to try it again.”

Dukem Ethiopian Market
Ranked #538 of 3,323 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: U Street Corridor
Description: This is an Ethiopian Restaurant serving an ethnic food in the Washington DC area.
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Decided to try dukem after reading positive reviews. The lamb stew that i ordered was definitely beef.
The meat was tough and overlooked. The minced beef was bland but okay. I didn't like the taste of the lentils.
The injera bread was tasty.
The servers were not very helpful in regards to what the various dishes were.

Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Overall, the food was tasteful and portions were sizeable. The restaurant staff seemed unskilled at serving and did not follow up to refill the drinks or inquire about our experience.

The biggest problem is the cleanliness; The restaurant is filthy and needs to be cleaned. With the pervasive problem of cockroaches and rats in the area, the restaurant needs to step up the game and clean all areas where food is prepared, served and all public areas. I took some pictures of the reataurant bathroom which leads me to believe there could be other operational issues that leave cleaning low on the list.

Also, the restaurant is poorly organized and lit. This could be fixed as well.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had been looking forward to Ethiopian food since arriving in DC from south Florida, and we chose Dukem because of TripAdvisor reviews and because it was close to our downtown Metro stop. My husband was born, and lived for many years, in Ethiopia, so we always enjoy tasting good injera, kitfo, spicy lentils, and doro wat wherever we travel. While Dukem satisfied our "fix" for all, we were less than impressed with our dining experience.

One might believe it was because we visited mid-day, around 3:00, that the service was irregular; and I suppose these off-hours might be the reason for the very dry, overlooked chicken in the doro wat; whatever the reason, we were disappointed. What a shame, too, because the berbere on the wat was quite tasty, the injera very fresh and wonderfully spongy, and my (raw) kitfo was actually some of the best I have tasted.

In the middle of the day, the darkness and somewhat shabby decor of the restaurant stands out, and I still can't figure out what's up with the door on the stall in the ladies bathroom -- I'm short, but my knees touched it when it was closed; very uncomfortable! Dukem might be a better experience at night, when the kitchen is more active and the wait staff more attentive; it looks like the band area would be fun.

Overall, I would recommend Dukem for the casual diner who prefers a good meal at a fairly reasonable price. But if I you know your Ethiopian food and want authenticity and quality, find another restaurant.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is my first time eating Ethiopian cuisine, so I can't comment by way of comparison. What I can say was the food was delicious. We tried a combination family style platter. The injera bread was wonderful. The atmosphere was interesting and felt authentic. The reason for my rating was poor service. Our waitress seemed almost bored. She forgot drinks we ordered, and didn't seem concerned in the slightest when reminded. She seemed annoyed by questions, and kept looking away while we ordered. Really strange. Overall, I would recommend, though! Hopefully you get another waitstaff or she moves on!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This place has very good ethiopian food for not-so-cheap price. Their samplers are great and so is the injera bread on which they serve the dishes. We chose 3 big popular dishes for a family of four and it was quite sufficient. What I did not like personally about the place was that the place hygiene needs rework. Right from the entrance to the dining area upstairs, the carpets are old and stained with oil, food etc. and I see that the restaurant owner or staff hardly pay any attention to these details. The younger crowd that come here love the food and loud music and they stop yelling at the top of their voice (that is the only way to be heard amidst others and loud music), so I was not too happy about the atmosphere. But nevertheless, the food is good and I think that is a compromise you have to make.