“my favorite Ethiopian restaurant”

Dukem Ethiopian Market
Ranked #517 of 3,368 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: U Street Corridor
Description: This is an Ethiopian Restaurant serving an ethnic food in the Washington DC area.
Reviewed March 2, 2013

great food and good atmosphere--the best Ethiopian restaurant in Washington, DC. I especially love the vegetarian platters. YUM.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This place was hardly noticeable as we were walking down the street. But thankfully we spotted it. It's a tiny place and looks like you might not want to eat there, but please do, you won't regret it. The injera was fabulous, and so was everything we had on the vegetarian platter.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I visisted this place in DC because they say that its the best ethiopian food restaurant in the area. I am not sure about that, but the food was very tasty and interesting. You eat with your hands, no utensils and you use the soda bread as your food carries, lets put it that way. The lamb abd beef are yummy, not impressed with the chicken and fish. The platters bring many choices and the price is reasonable. They have national and imported drinks plus ethiopian beer and wine. You can spicy and no spicy food. The place was busy and had an interesting decor! Nice experince.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I’d never tried Ethiopian food and never intended to. Thanks to a colleague, I tried it.
The place was extremely congested and packed but lively. But the food was pretty ok. Even though I don’t eat beef, I quite liked the lamb preparations. Chicken dish was below average.
I think it wasn’t fancy or exciting food on the whole, but I might certainly try it again (may be some other restaurant).

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I am a huge fan of Ethiopian food and always look for good places to try it. Initially i read the reviews on TA and was very hesitant about trying Dukem. A friend (which is a food) recommended it and I went. It is very good. Personally I liked it more then Das in Georgetown in terms of food quality. The place was packed and lively. The service was very good it was clean. Das is more refined but this place is the place to eat. Going back again for sure. I recommend trying their zilzitibs and cherot. Just excellent. Skip the samosas, very greasy.