“Eating raw meat with fingers better than one might imagine”

Dukem Ethiopian Market
Ranked #541 of 3,228 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: U Street Corridor
Description: This is an Ethiopian Restaurant serving an ethnic food in the Washington DC area.
Perth, Australia
“Eating raw meat with fingers better than one might imagine”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Only one night left in DC and we had to choose between Dukem and Etete. Very tough decision. I don't think it would be overstating things to say that it was the Sophie's Choice of Ethiopian cuisine. OK, actually it totally would be. Sorry. Anyway, in the end we went with Dukem and were very pleased with the result. Glad we made a reservation because the place was very busy (and quite big too, so that is a lot of tables to feed). No problems with the service or the wait for the drinks & food though, and most importantly we both really enjoyed our meals. This was some really tasty food, and good value as well. I'd definitely go back again. The atmosphere was great too.
Extra note - they had nice restrooms too (pretty important to make sure your hands are clean before eating Ethiopian - especially when sharing!)

• Visited September 2012

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Disappointing"”
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were hoping to eat at Madjet an Ethopian restaurant where we first experienced Ethopian food. Unfortunately, we found they were closed. At the corner the same block we came across Dukem. Since the reviews on this place were good we decided to try it. A mistake! Dukem is a very popular spot and rather noisy. There was a twenty minute wait to get a table. The decor was nice, trendy but I go to a restaurant for the food. I'm happy this was not my first experience with Ethopian food or I wouldn't have tried it again. The food was bland and tasteless. If you are more interested in atmosphere than flavor this is the place for you.

1 Thank Deligh
Clifton, New Jersey
“A wonderful and unusual dining experience”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have never eaten Ethiopian food before, so when an opportunity arose to host 3 Isreali young ladies, whose families emigrated from Ethiopia, I was very pleased. This restaurant was recommended by someone who had been there before. My guests seleted the dishes and we ate with the bread, no forks. The lamb dishes were delicious and I managed to get some into my bread. They had entertainers with music and dancing and the crowded restaurant was very lively. There were 5 of us and we got 5 entrees and wine or beer, and there was plenty to eat for a reasonable price.

• Visited August 2012
Oregon, USA
“Wonderful Ethiopian Food”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My husband and I visited Dukem's as recommended by the Ethiopian shop owners in our hotel. We used to frequent Ethiopian restaurants in the Bay Area when we lived there and have been deprived since relocating. The service was wonderful and food was delicious. We had a combination plate with a side of a whole fish. We also had the Ethiopian beer and the honey wine. Superb! We sat outside on the patio and had fun people watching. The neighborhood is an interesting mix of cultures and venues. It was a short walk from the metro. Highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Cairo95
Washington, DC
“Conveniently close to metro choice for Ethiopian with a cultural spin”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I live in DC so have many choices for a decent Ethiopian meal. This place is conveniently on my way home and serves quickly, from a decent menu. They have entertainment in the evenings so it attracts both tourists and locals. They also have a small store adjacent to it with some spices, injera, sodas, and other things. They open in the morning so you can have an Ethiopian breakfast, if that's your mood. Service is friendly. Lamb this last time was a bit overdone but no real complaints. There's also an outside seating area that gets used a lot, since DC has weather that allows that for half the year. If you don't want to wander further afield to little Ethiopia on 9th street, this is a good choice.

• Visited July 2012