“A great experience, but...”
Review of Komi

Komi
Ranked #243 of 3,257 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
San Francisco, California
“A great experience, but...”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I really wanted to give Komi a full five but I just felt like there was something lacking. Maybe it's the menu - (I suspect) it never changes, so is it just being phoned in??? You wouldn't know because it's not printed anywhere and photos are not allowed, but I did take notes. I think we counted about 17 courses, all in. A lot of food but we didn't feel ridiculously full at the end.

Pros - relaxed atmosphere in a nice room and friendly staff. No pressure to drink alot of (expensive) wine. Some of the dishes were clever and inventive, like the spanakopita with the liquid center.

Cons - I joked with our server early in the meal that I wondered if our entree would be a deconstructed gyro . . . then, SURPRISE! That's exactly what it was, a deconstructed gyro. Literally. Nicely cooked goat and pork served with pita and a tray of standard Greek spreads - nothing unique or inventive here. I really expected more from a James Beard nominee. Dessert wasn't remarkable, a fried doughnut dipped in syrup. There were two others that I recall were better, but I don't have my notes at hand. Dining room is dark, which is a little disappointing because I would have liked to see the beautiful presentation of the food.

I feel bad that I didn't like it more - I guess I have had a number of amazing meals and I had REALLY high hopes for Komi, since I had to work pretty hard for the reservation. Overall, I think it's over priced and over hyped but still a nice place for a special occasion and a fancy meal.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank VousAllez

Woodside, California
“As Good As Anywhere in the US”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

A wonderful display of tastes, carefully and thoughtfully executed, and presented by knowledgeable and personable servers who are interested that guests are completely satisfied. My reduction of a fifth star is due to a combination of lack of ambience and a sense that the fixed menu is priced about $25 too high.

Note that there are no menus here, so everything is a bit of surprise. When you reserve a table (if you are lucky; we were in at 9:30pm and not a moment before) you are asked about food allergies and that information is confirmed at tableside. Also note that each table receives a different set of some courses. When asked about this, our server said it was the kitchen's call what to send out to whom. Although I have never seen this practice at any fine dining establishment, it seemed to work, but I did wonder what I had missed. The sommeliers (yes, 2) were very knowledgeable and approachable about the wine offerings on a list that struck the same unique chord of the menu. Only reason for no 5th star is cost is about $25 too high pp and the ambience needs a little more attention.

Florida
“Superlative”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Our visit to Komi was amazing, from start to finish. The staff made us feel so welcome, and the sommelier made excellent recommendations. I cannot even begin to describe the food, it was so delicious. We cannot wait for our next trip to DC so we can visit Komi again.

Washington D.C.
“Very Good - But Definitely Not No. 1 in DC, and Over-Hyped”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had a very nice, very pleasant dining experience this week at Komi. Excellent service indeed and worth a good tip -from the first call for a reservation to the very accomodating wine staff (we hated some of the wine choices in the wine pairing and they switched them out). Nice, dynamic, engaging room (although the floorboards were going up and down annoyingly when the wait staff walked by).
Highlights among the dishes were the scallops, the oyster, the rabbit liver mousse, and the main entree, pork and goat. Really excellent.

However, the experience is very much over-rated. Some of the dishes were good but not excellent. Some were bland or could be had in other places as well. Desert was not memorable at all.
The real appeal I think is that you get to taste a wide variety of foods.
Going to Komi once - sure, why not. Going again? I don't think there is a case for that.

Austin, Texas
“Remarkable”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

How does one describe this marvel? Calling it a Greek or Mediterranean restaurant is insufficient. Nouvelle Greek? No. I'm not sure there's a simple descriptor.

What I can say, as a veteran of DC restaurants over many years, is that this is the most unique and special dining experience in the city.

The personal attention and service are extraordinary. The diner is served almost countless, utterly creative and well executed small dishes, with careful explanations, in thoughtful order, at a fine pace. The servers work together to be sure it all happens beautifully. And, to add to the customization of the experience, the diner can state a variety of food preferences to promote favorites or maintain restrictions.

As special as the food is, I want to return to the management and service. These folks are incredibly professional, yet friendly and personal. Highest ratings.

But, in the end, I must return to the food and wine. Delicious, imaginative, lovely use of spices and sauces, so many fine tastes coming at you building to an extraordinary final main course, culminating in some final courses of sweets.

I love what the Komi people have done. Do yourself a favor, reserve early, and experience this remarkable restaurant!

2 Thank Sandy K