“Unique experience”

Ranked #1 of 3,430 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 27, 2016 via mobile

Went with my husband and another couple. If I lived in DC this would not be my everyday bar, drinks are very expensive, but loved my experience. Sat in the the hanging chair and had very unique drinks, some with liquid smoke, some with foam made out of feta cheese. Overall a great time!

Date of visit: June 2016
Write a reviewReviews (274)

Reviewed June 18, 2016

A few friends and I went to Barmini to try out what people have been talking about for so long – it was an amazing cocktail experience, but the food left much to be desired.

I have been looking forward to going here for quite some time. They have a menu with all types of cocktails, but to be honest I did not read them. We all opted for the cocktail taster, and it was great.

All of the cocktails are special, and they were techniques used here but you never see anyone else. Burning cedar planks to get the cedar scent into cups. Liquid nitrogen mixed with hibiscus so that every sip you take of a cocktail you get a huff of aroma. A frozen cocktail made right in front of you with the same process.

Don't want to really spoil the surprise, suffice to say that I definitely recommend the tasting menu.

The food was a sore spot, and it was a complete disappointment. This is the cocktail bar after all, but for two hours you're just drinking, so we wanted to eat some food to go along with our drinks. We ordered a few of the bites on offer thinking that they're going to be at a Jose Andres level, but they were not. We started with the tuna, which was completely jarring and did not go with the cocktail we had. We expressed our displeasure with the dish to the waiter, and he said that none of the food is good and that all of it clashes with the cocktails. That was kind of a funny answer because it was so upfront and honest. The manager came around and asked how we were doing, and we said we had to cancel our food order because the food clashed with everything, and much to our surprise and manager also said that the food is not paired with the cocktails and he couldn't really recommend any of the food. That was a bit shocking and not acceptable.

At the end of the day, the cocktails were amazing and that's why he went and I would 100% recommend this restaurant to visitors or locals alike. Get dinner beforehand.

Reviewed June 13, 2016

Perhaps the best bar in DC. Expert and highly professional barmen mix a huge range of perfectly judged cocktails and the kitchen offers superb small plates to help mop up the ethanol. Just one caveat - the furniture is horrible and very poorly chosen for a bar with food unless you really enjoy eating hunched over a knee-shattering low table. Sit at the bar and enjoy the entertainment as smoke and dry ice and put to good use.

Reviewed June 7, 2016

With a guest or visitor in town, Barmini is my cocktail bar of choice. Truly a cocktail bar experience and a wonderful atmosphere. If you have the time I would highly recommend trying the flight: 6 different half size cocktails at $60 per person. MUST try the liquid olives and oysters. If you are in a group of two then try to sit at the bar. Part of the joy is watching the bartenders do their thing!

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed May 12, 2016 via mobile

We enjoyed the drinks and bar food, it was wonderful! An experience I would suggest! The waffles were well prepared and tartar buns were very good . I would suggest the grand tour with 2 hours of sampling curious and inventive libations. This is a unique experience and worth the effort. You need reservations and time to savor the experience!

Date of visit: May 2016