“Very nice property, recommended”

Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom
Ranked #91 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I've stayed at several other properties near Foggy Bottom, including Marriott, Renaissance, Embassy Suites- all of them multiple times.

This RI has much to recommend over those- primarily location. New Hampshire seems a quieter street than the others. This is also nearer the Metro (hence minutes from DCA), nearer the GW campus & hospital, and likely nearer the NatMall.

I stayed on a Saturday and was warned one of the elevators was down, and would I prefer a lower, more stairway accessible room? I chose instead to stay on 10, with a nice view out to Georgetown and the Watergate, and never found the elevator wait to be a problem- at least on the weekend.

Used the hotel's valet parking (not a lot of alternatives nearby, especially since DC eliminated meterless Saturdays a couple years ago) and it was quick and painless. Had a minor issue that management quickly and without effort took care of.

Breakfast was very nice- clean, plentiful, good.

Would recommend!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Jessica C, Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Travel_Synopsis,

Thank you for your review and recomendation. It pleases us to know that we were able to accomodate your needs during your stay. You are correct with the location of our property, it makes for a enjoyable stay by being so close to the airport (DCA) and having the metro only a block away. This also allows our guest to take full advantage of all that the city has to offer.

From the service at the front desk, breakfast & social hour, housekeeping and bellman, we take pride in ensuring that we are putting our best foot forward when taking care of our guest. As mentioned that having valet parking is our only way of ensuring the safety and accesibility to your vehicle; however the on street parking is available on the weekends on a first come first serve basis.

We look forward to serving you in the future and having you back on the 10th floor to be able to capture yet again the beautiful city view. Please let us know when you plan your next trip to ensure that we indicate that in your reservation.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel twice in the last two months. The location of the hotel is great, steps from GWU, Georgetown and very metro accessible to explore other areas of the city without having to drive. My room was very clean and spacious with adequate supply of the amenities for two of us, and the marriott beds are very comfortable. The breakfast is great, hot and was a variety of hot and cold items. My only issue was the long wait sometimes for the elevator, the other was 'out of service', and their $48 valet parking. If you can find a parking space in the neighborhood that's more than two hour parking, it's free. The staff that I encountered on my stays were very friendly, attentive and accommodating.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

QB628,

Thank you for your response. We truly appreciate and value you as a guest. We are delighted that you found the newly renovated hotel to your liking and by the end of this month, we hope to have the other elevator in operation and fully renovated.

We pride ourselves in serving our guest to the best of our ability and being attentive to our guest needs is very important to us.

Our location is centrally located to many of the tourist attractions that DC has to offer and having the metro only one block away makes commuting much easier. Being that we are in a neighborhood setting, on street is available (on a first come, first serve basis) on the weekends.

Please let us know how we might be able to serve you in the future for your return trip.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I checked into this hotel today and am staying here for the next 3 nights. When I arrived to the hotel today around 1:15pm, I was told by the operations manager, Tyrone, that my room was not ready and that there were 2 people waiting to check in ahead of me, but that housekeeping was almost finished and that I should be in a room in the next 20-30 minutes. After 45 minutes or so, I asked the front desk attendant about the status of my room, she told me that it would be at least an hour until I could get a room. I understand that rooms aren't always ready to check into upon arrival, but wasting 45 minutes for a room to be told it would be at least another hour wasn't a great start to my afternoon in DC.

When I finally got into my room, it was sweltering hot in here. I turned the knob on the thermostat to the coldest setting and it continued to blow hot air. I've had to turn it off completely to get the room to cool down.

I've seen other reviews on here dating back to the beginning of December 2013 that mention one of the elevators being down for renovations... Guess what? It's still being renovated almost 3 months later. That leaves 1 slow elevator for everyone to share.

My company sends people to DC all of the time, and I was asked to be the guinea pig on this trip to see if we should use this hotel moving forward. It is in a very convenient location to the metro, but unless things improve significantly over the next few days, we won't be staying here in the future.

I'll update my posting in a few days after my trip is completed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank hurley2519

Hurley2519,

Thank you for your response and feedback. We will definitely use your feedback as a training tool for our employees for future guest arrival experiences. We apologize for any inconvenience that you encountered during your stay. However, we would definitely like to make that up to you in the near future.

We are excited about the renovation of our elevators being completed by the end of this month. Our excitement is due to the fact of knowing that our guest will be satisfied and have the convenience that they desire. This has been a brutal winter for us after renovation and encountering the heat issues wasn't something that we expected to happen and we warmly apologize again for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

We look forward to serving you in the future and having the opportunity to make the trip a more enjoyable experience for you.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Great location near George Washington Campus and stayed for two nights. However, was very disappointed in the fact that the heat was broken in the room, no hot water in the morning and the maid service never showed up to clean the room. When I brought each of these issues to the attention of the front desk manager, she was pleasant and said she would 'look into it'. While they did address the lack of heat (thermostat was broken and couldn't be fixed in the evening so had to wait till the following day), they apologized for the fact that there was no hot water (said it was broken and would be fixed later in the morning) and said the maid was very busy so couldn't get to my room till the evening. I have stayed at Marriott properties, including Residence Inns in the past, but NEVER had so many problems. Oh, and did I mention that one of the elevators was out of order for repairs….Anyway, I won't go rushing back...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Amy W
Jessica C, Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

AmyW,

Thank you for your response and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. It has been a rough winter for the city and we have attacked the heating issue very aggressively as we didn't foresee this issue post renovation. Though never an excuse, we deeply apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you and your family during your stay. I am glad that we were able to get the problem corrected.

As longstanding guest of Marriott properties, we will use this feedback provided as a tool to enhance our guest experience while choosing us as their place of residence. Our elevators are in the final stages of renovation and we are extremely excited that our guest will have the use of two functional and remodeled elevators.

We ask that in the future that you consider us again for your home away from home if nothing more to experience the completed work of the elevators and the smiles of the front desk that will great you. Let us know if we can assist with your future reservation.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

The location of the hotel can't be beat. Easily walkable to the monuments, even on a brisk Winter afternoon. I wouldn't say the front desk staff was overly friendly, but they were not rude either. The breakfast in the AM was good. Even though my husband has gold level status for Marriott properties were were given a room on the 3rd (out of 10) floor, right off the elevator, which generated a considerable amount of noise. Also, they held our luggage for us while while we went out exploring since there were no rooms yet available and upon returning we asked for our luggage to be brought up to our room, which seemed to surprise the front desk staff. When the member of the staff brought our luggage up to our room, he accidentally brought someone else's with ours. Luckily we are honest people and quickly ran out into the hallway to grab the staff member to let him know of the mistake. Just something to be aware of.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms that are right off the elevator, I believe they end with a 5
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nic410

Nic410,

Thank you for your response and we appreciate and do our best to serve all of our guest with enthusiasm, great customer service and a friendly smile. Most often we do our best to ensure that guest request are honored and as a Gold member we do our best to ensure that your loyalty is acknowledged without impeeding on the guest already in house.

We sincerely apologize for the miscommunication with your luggage; however we are thankful that you brought that to our attention to be able to recover and get the correct belongings to your party. Again, we apologize for that oversight and we will use this information as a learning tool for all staff.

We ask that when you are back in DC that you afford us the opportunity to make it up to you and would ask that while making your reservation to indicate a floor preference and we will do everything that we can to ensure that your request is honored depending on the hotel's availability. If necessary, please call us directly and we will be honored to make that reservation with your specifications.

Again, thank you for being a loyal member of the Marriott family and we look forward to serving you in the future while maintaining the standards that you have grown accustomed to.

With sincere regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We have been Residence Inn fans for years, but this was our first stay here (it had been a Doubletree until recently). The location is fantastic - right at the edge of the George Washington University campus, a few blocks from the Lincoln Memorial, and a short walk to Georgetown. The front desk, housekeeping, breakfast restaurant staff and all other service people were very pleasant and helpful. The hotel seems to be far along in the process of being upgraded. They are still working with only one functioning elevator in this 10-floor hotel - the other one is apparently still being worked on - so this was the only real hitch. The one-bedroom suite was fairly typical in size for a Residence Inn (which should be more than enough room for most people), was quite clean and had all the usual amenities. The bathroom was smallish but perfectly adequate. (The hair dryer was missing when we arrived, but this was immediately corrected on request.) The beds were quite comfortable, and the ambient noise level was virtually zero. Breakfast was excellent. We never made it to the fitness center, unfortunately. The front desk perfectly executed arrangements for our 3:30 AM wake-up call and 4:30 AM taxi on the day of departure. There are a number of really good Marriott facilities within blocks of GWU, but this one certainly suited all of us just fine, met or exceeded our expectations, and will be nearly perfect once that second elevator is operational!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

PLW165,

Thank you for your wonderful response and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Having been a Doubletree in the past and to see the transition to the Residence Inn-Marriott has been greatly received by guest like yourself.

Our hope is that you were able to enjoy many of the attractions you desired while visiting as we are centrally located in the midst of many great attractions.

We sincerely apologize for the missing hair dryer, but glad to hear that our staff was able to recover to your liking. Our elevators are in the final stages of renovation; we are extremely excited as we know that guest like yourself will have the convenience desired. Please come back to visit and perhaps try out our fitness center. We have recently placed some new items in our fitness center to adapt to all fitness needs.

Our desire is to always provide the best service possible to enhance our guest experience.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

This hotel has two great things going for it: location (next to the FB metro, Georgetown within walking distance, good for going on a job by the Mall) and a very welcoming and friendly staff. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, with full kitchen and two TVs (for some of the channels like CNN the connection broke frequently--had to settle for the local chnnels). The style is a bit old fashion. The lobby area was just redone and looks great. The breakfast is ok.It's reallt between very good and excellent but the staff is so nice I've made it my favorite stop each time I need acccomodation in DC.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

HankVienna,

Thank you for your warm response. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay while here in DC. As you mentioned that we are so close to many of the attractions that DC has to offer and being just a block away from the Foggy Bottom Metro makes commuting that much easier.

As we have went through a major renovation, the intention to keep the warm feeling wasn't ever a question as it corresponds with the service that we strive to give our guest.

We look forward to you making this your stop when returning to the DC area and our goal is to not only make you comfortable but each and every guest that affords us that pleasure. Please let us know if we are able to facilitate your return visit in the near future.