“Warning! Train Noises!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #56 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
new jersey
“Warning! Train Noises!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2008

We recently stayed at the Residence Inn. Upon arrriving, I let the front desk staff know I read unfavorable reviews if you stay in a room near the train tracks.(noise) I was assured by TWO staff members that we would NOT be bothered by the train in our assigned room. Lo and behold , well before 6 a.m., a train woke us up as it rumbeld by the hotel and loudly blew its whistle. The smug front desk staff needs to be more honest with its customers. We travel to DC often and will need to find other accomodations.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — staff was not honest
3 Thank dip57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2008

We had a family vacation here with 8 people and stayed for two weeks. We were 4 adults and 4 kids. We booked 2 rooms - a 2 room suite and a regular suite. The 2 room suite was on the 7th floor. The other suite was on the 2nd floor. Both suites were great, clean, spacious and quiet.

I picked this location because we saved a TON of money by eating the delicious daily breakfast and the "pretty good" dinners, on the nights they were offered. Believe me, with a family of eight we took advantage of these benefits. We also bought groceries from a nearby Safeway and cooked several meals in the suite kitchen. The suite had everything we needed to make and serve dishes such as spaghetti, gumbo and chicken. Plus the large fridge made it possible to purchase and store "day trip snacks" for everyone to carry in their backpacks - thus saving on expensive vendor food. Of course we also ate out on many occasions but felt much better about splurging on nice, sit down restaurants because of the money we saved on food by using the above measures.

This hotel is walking distance to the metro and we walked to the metro almost every day. It is also walking distance to the Capitol district and many Capitol area attractions. We walked there as well. This also saved $ as we rarely had to call a taxi. Also, there's an enterprise rental car place nearby and we rented a van for day trips to Virginia and Maryland. We scheduled these trips on consecutive days in order to minimize the $ for hotel parking fees.

One of our party was wheel chair bound and the hotel and area around the hotel and metro were wheel chair friendly. If you need a wheel chair, you can rent one from a local place(do a google search) and they'll deliver it to the hotel and pick up as well.

The staff was ULTRA friendly. The lobby was clean and nice and there were 2 computers available for use. This came in handy when we needed to scout out last minute directions or attractions in the area.

This is a great hotel for traveling families. Great in price (for the amenities), location, service and well apportioned rooms.

• Liked — So many included meals. Really close to metro and Capitol.
  • Disliked — I wish I'd known about restaurants that were close to the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank SacTravelers
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

Stayed here for 3 nights with my family ( husband and 8 year old son). From the minute we arrived we were greeted with friendly service and a good attitude from the front desk.
We always stay at Marriott hotels and the primary reason we chose this location in DC was because of the pool and free full breakfast. We were not disappointed.
The staff always acknowledged us when passing the front desk or in the hallway (that's a big one with us - and something that is missing in our culture - so hat's off to the Residence Inn Capitol!).
Our son was very comfortable on the pull out sofa and the layout of the Queen suite was really neat - felt like a little apartment!
Very close to Metro (blue and orange lines), but you can walk very easily to the mall and other attractions.
We recommend the Residence Inn Capitol.
PS. If you are travelling to DC for the first time (like us) - you WILL NOT need a car - the Metro is very easy to figure out - stops are written as well as color coded - very clean and safe. We took the train in from Philly and didn't miss our car at all!

• Liked — Location, attitude of staff, cleanliness
  • Disliked — N/A
2 Thank PennsylvaniaMOM098
Liberty
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

Stayed here with a group of older Girl Scouts visiting DC and attending the national sing along. This was a perfect place for us. They shuttled us to and from the airport. The metro was in walking distance as was a mall (very important with teenage girls). Having room to spread out as well as a full size kitchen was great. You could place an order, and they would grocery shop for you. Since we were without a car, I used this service and the shopper did an excellent job--including putting the groceries away while we were out touring.

The pool area was life-guarded by a semi- attentive person. The rooms were clean and the breakfast was truly good with lots of choices.

• Liked — Location and service.
  • Disliked — The lifeguard.
  • Stayed June 2007
3 Thank SandyLiberty
Indianapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

I recently got back from a stay at this hotel. It was very clean, the amenities are great and you can't beat the free breakfast and dinner. It is very close to the Metro station which was very helpful for my stay.

My problem with this hotel is the maid service. Upon return to my room one afternoon, I discovered that the door had been left open. It wasn't ajar, but it had not been pulled shut. The maid had been in that day and the only conclusion I can come up with is that she didn't pull the door shut or make sure that it was shut behind her. I don't know when she cleaned the room, but it was after 5pm when I got back. Needless to say I was a little upset and uncomfortable about going into the room. After inspecting that all of my items were still in place and that no one was in the room, I called the front desk. They transferred me to the manager of room services. A message was left on the voicemail about my circumstances. This issue was never addressed although I was in that hotel for another 4 days. On my next to last day there, I returned to the room to find that my cell phone charger had been damaged. Not only was it damaged, but it was left on the floor between the wall and the night table. Again, I went to the front desk and was told to talk to the daytime supervisor about it in the morning. When I talked to her about my concerns (about the door and cell phone charger) I was told that the reason my voicemail had never been answered was because their room services manager had been gone for two weeks. She spoke with the maid supervisor and of course the maid denied everything. This supervisor did give me one night off my bill, but I just think that I should have received better service to begin with.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Quietstorm4
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

I was very pleased with this hotel. The rooms felt clean, the free breakfast buffet was great, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The outside noise didn't bother us a bit. It was a good location too.

2 Thank CLTandBeyond
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

Stayed the first week in July. We had a room on the 12th flr and was not bothered by the train, or construction next door. Enjoyed the buffet breakfast, and there was a large crowd each day. The staff handled it very well and were friendly even tho it was a mad house every morning. Room was clean and comfortable. Just down the street is The Market Inn, great food and live music, we went twice.

• Liked — Comfortable room
2 Thank buckeyewin