“Terrific Hotel - Service with a smile!”

Residence Inn Washington, DC/Capitol
Ranked #64 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Stayed here for 3 nights with my family ( husband and 8 year old son). From the minute we arrived we were greeted with friendly service and a good attitude from the front desk.
We always stay at Marriott hotels and the primary reason we chose this location in DC was because of the pool and free full breakfast. We were not disappointed.
The staff always acknowledged us when passing the front desk or in the hallway (that's a big one with us - and something that is missing in our culture - so hat's off to the Residence Inn Capitol!).
Our son was very comfortable on the pull out sofa and the layout of the Queen suite was really neat - felt like a little apartment!
Very close to Metro (blue and orange lines), but you can walk very easily to the mall and other attractions.
We recommend the Residence Inn Capitol.
PS. If you are travelling to DC for the first time (like us) - you WILL NOT need a car - the Metro is very easy to figure out - stops are written as well as color coded - very clean and safe. We took the train in from Philly and didn't miss our car at all!

2  Thank PennsylvaniaMOM098

Reviewed July 23, 2008

Stayed here with a group of older Girl Scouts visiting DC and attending the national sing along. This was a perfect place for us. They shuttled us to and from the airport. The metro was in walking distance as was a mall (very important with teenage girls). Having room to spread out as well as a full size kitchen was great. You could place an order, and they would grocery shop for you. Since we were without a car, I used this service and the shopper did an excellent job--including putting the groceries away while we were out touring.

The pool area was life-guarded by a semi- attentive person. The rooms were clean and the breakfast was truly good with lots of choices.

• Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank SandyLiberty
Reviewed July 23, 2008

I recently got back from a stay at this hotel. It was very clean, the amenities are great and you can't beat the free breakfast and dinner. It is very close to the Metro station which was very helpful for my stay.

My problem with this hotel is the maid service. Upon return to my room one afternoon, I discovered that the door had been left open. It wasn't ajar, but it had not been pulled shut. The maid had been in that day and the only conclusion I can come up with is that she didn't pull the door shut or make sure that it was shut behind her. I don't know when she cleaned the room, but it was after 5pm when I got back. Needless to say I was a little upset and uncomfortable about going into the room. After inspecting that all of my items were still in place and that no one was in the room, I called the front desk. They transferred me to the manager of room services. A message was left on the voicemail about my circumstances. This issue was never addressed although I was in that hotel for another 4 days. On my next to last day there, I returned to the room to find that my cell phone charger had been damaged. Not only was it damaged, but it was left on the floor between the wall and the night table. Again, I went to the front desk and was told to talk to the daytime supervisor about it in the morning. When I talked to her about my concerns (about the door and cell phone charger) I was told that the reason my voicemail had never been answered was because their room services manager had been gone for two weeks. She spoke with the maid supervisor and of course the maid denied everything. This supervisor did give me one night off my bill, but I just think that I should have received better service to begin with.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Quietstorm4
Reviewed July 9, 2008

I was very pleased with this hotel. The rooms felt clean, the free breakfast buffet was great, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The outside noise didn't bother us a bit. It was a good location too.

2  Thank CLTandBeyond
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Stayed the first week in July. We had a room on the 12th flr and was not bothered by the train, or construction next door. Enjoyed the buffet breakfast, and there was a large crowd each day. The staff handled it very well and were friendly even tho it was a mad house every morning. Room was clean and comfortable. Just down the street is The Market Inn, great food and live music, we went twice.

2  Thank buckeyewin
Reviewed June 29, 2008

The biggest complaint is the buffet "free dinner." Go early - one night, they ran out of food at 6:30, and brought out some cold cuts - not very appetizing. Watch out for little kids picking up food with their hands too - not very clean. The food is "OK." Nothing great - and I hope they'll work on this. The restaurant itself is a little run down - stains on chairs and rugs.

The room was wonderful, the staff friendly, professional, and helpful. It wasn't all bad.

Oh, one other thing - LOTS of little kids and you can hear them with their "outside voices" inside the hotel, especially when you're trying to go to sleep. Don't count on a relaxing swim - the pool is playground for the kids, which is fine - they seemed to be enjoying it.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled solo
2  Thank Angela R
Reviewed May 28, 2008

We originally booked into the Hilton in Arlington (way overpriced) and moved to this location on the advice of a colleague. Great advice. I've stayed at Residence Inns e;sewhere and they are pretty consistent. Nothing posh but very comfortable and that sense of being in an apartment instead of a hotel is great when you are staying multiple nights. This one was clean, the service was timely and the staff were great. The hot and substantial breakfast, if not gourmet, was well laid out and served and way beyond the usual continental breakfast. Btw, we paid way less than the posted rates and only booked 48 hours in advance.

Not many restaurants in the vicinity but the metro station is close by and we were impressed by the convenience, cleanliness and cost (great alliteration or what?) of DC's metro system - but easy walking distance of the Capitol and the Smithsonians. We were really pleased with this hotel for the price. A great value, and great staff.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple