“Great deal and location”

Residence Inn Washington, DC/Capitol
Ranked #70 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Considering the prices you normally pay in central DC I had a great deal for just 80 dollars a night, including breakfast (which was also much better than what you normally get). I travelled alone and like my own place, so this one with a comfortable bed, couch and kitchen was more than I needed. Friendly people and a convenience store downstairs to get some drinks, good breakfast and just 2 minutes from the nearest metro station were a bonus. You can basically walk to the Capitol/Eastern side of the Mall if you like. One day the toilet was broken, and they fixed it almost immediately after telling. It's rated 3 stars officially if I am correct, but for me it deserves 4.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MichaelBurm
Write a ReviewReviews (1,080)

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This hotel is very well run. From the moment we stepped through the lobby doors, we felt welcomed by staff. Karen (at the front desk) was especially helpful. Our room (1305) on the top floor overlooked the southern view, away from the Mall, but was quiet and very pleasant (two queen beds and a TV in one bedroom, with a queen pull-out couch and TV along with a nicely equipped kitchen in the other room). The beds were comfortable, and we had many pillow firmnesses from which to choose.

The breakfast buffets were excellent; certainly much superior to the average hotel breakfast. The Monday through Wednesday free light dinnners really were all we needed those evenings, providing an unexpected savings to our travel budget. I particularly liked the salads (fresh and varied).

The pool is small, but sufficient. We fairly easily walked to the Capitol in about 15 minutes. The streets felt safe, but we were not out at night. We ordered Chinese delivery one evening (from the Hunan Dynasty - it arrived hot), and splurged on a cab ride/dinner to Georgetown We never tried the nearby eateries - there were not many. As we departed for the Reagan National Airport, we knew cabs were frequently stationed right outside, but gladly took the hotel staff's suggested in-house driver with his plush and comfortable Suburban (?) for the same price of $20.

Room Tip: Higher floors appear quieter as they are further away from street noises. The railroad/Amtrack route...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Quist17
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I took my girls, 16 and 10 along with a friend and her 4 children, Feb 14-17. We stayed in 2 different rooms next to each other. We had sufficient room to spread out and be comfortable. The kitchenette was a nice option, however, we only used the refrigerator. The staff was always polite and helpful. There was a driver that hung out in the lobby that was always ready to charge you a bundle to get where you were going. There was no complimentary shuttle service anywhere. We rode the metro from the airport (Reagan National) to just a couple of short blocks from the hotel. The metro was clean and fairly easy to navigate depending on whether or not you had to change lines. We did not have to change lines to get to the hotel. We were in walking distance to the Smithonians and the Mall. We ate breakfast at the complimentary buffet in the hotel. It was sufficient. There was a pizza place right next door and a great deli just around the corner. Everything is very spread out in D.C., especially the restaurants. We really had to strategize when it came to finding a lunch or dinner spot. I found the people of Washington D.C. to be generally unfriendly with a few exceptions. It didn't dampen our spirits any though, we had a great time. Loved the Georgetown area. Don't miss "Daniel's Story" at the Holocaust Museum. There was some fun stuff for the younger kids to do on the top floor of the Native American Museum and there was also fun to be had for the younger kids at the Natural History Museum. The older kids really enjoyed Georgetown and the changing of the guards at Arlington Cemetery.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dlpryor
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The rooms of this hotel are large enough for family. The parking permit you have a car during your stay in Washington DC. The hotel its well located next to the most importan place of interest in Washington and you can wal around the area and have fun in cafes and restaurants in the 3-5 corners of the hotel.

Room Tip: Doble rooms for family
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank José Odalis O
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I decided to take our 7 year old daughter to Washington D.C this Spring break and booked a trip on January 13th. To my surprise, I booked online through the incorrect booking of non-refundable! I was so upset and tried to cancel the booking to a tentative booking. However, the customer service of Residence Inn said I missed the window to cancel the non-refundable rate! First, I thought the hotel would be smarter to allow a one time mistake. In fact, the customer service rep spoke with Deidre the General Manager to say they would allow for ONE TIME ONLY to switch the date, but NOT switch the price which was $400 less the correct date that we wanted!

I have been a member of Marriott since 1992. We asked Deidre to contact my husband on the telephone which she never did! I wish there was a way to write a letter to her manager, but if anyone can tell me her bosses name, I would appreciate your help! We now have a dispute from our Amex charge since February 10th. Amex has stated Residence Inn has not even tried to resolve with us directly! I had higher hopes for the Residence Inn in Washington DC. They should understand that one time mistakes happen.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank BPtours
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

The location is why I booked the place. It's close to the metro and walking distance to some of the major attractions. The hotel itself is nice with good rooms. The only down side was the staff, the guy who checked me in was very nice and helpful but all my other encounters were so so, I felt like they only attended to our needs because they had to. Otherwise our stay was great.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank ChaJay
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This hotel is in the Southwest of the city, on the other side of the Mall from most shops and restaurants, but it is close to a Metro stop on the Blue Line. It has large rooms (510 sq. ft.) with kitchen facilities. It also has a significant breakfast buffet. The price is very reasonable. The staff are very friendly and helpful, though the cleaning is a bit spotty. This is a good hotel for longer stays and for people with small children. The large rooms and cooking facilities make taking care of children easier.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street. The rooms in the back are mere feet from the windows of an office...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple