“Low Rent”

Residence Inn Washington, DC/Capitol
Ranked #66 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My family and I stayed here three years ago on vacation, but the hotel has not weathered well and I would not recommend it. Everything has a shopworn air. Additionally, the hotel is directly next to what appears to be a well-used railroad; decidedly not restful unless you have a train fetish.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Washington, DC/Capitol

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I enjoyed this hotel very much. It was clean and comfortable. I found the front desk staff, especially the evening staff, very friendly and accommodating. If you are looking for a trendy hotel hot spot near nightlife and restaurants this is not the place. As other reviewers pointed out the neighborhood does shut down around 6:30 p.m. The hotel provides a very basic breakfast (probably my least favorite part of the hotel) daily and a decent dinner Monday through Wednesday. The hotel convenience store is nice but expensive. Avoid it and get something down the street at CVS. There is a pizza place next door that is open later and it was very good. Their gelato was delicious. I loved the Paul Mitchell hair products and I liked how spacious the room was. Free internet is always nice. The hotel is just a few blocks from the capitol and located a block and half from the metro stop. DC has the easiest metro system to maneuver and you should not be afraid to take it from the airport. Do know if you are traveling alone that after 9 the walk from the metro to the hotel can be a bit unnerving because there is no one around. However, I walked home three nights and had no problems. If you walk down the hill a bit there is a CVS. It closes very early (like 6pm) but is a very short walk.

My only real complaint was one of the same other reviewers had: housekeeping. It was not a big deal and did not ruin my stay but was annoying. They did not pay attention to the do not disturb sign and woke me up early knocking. They also did not clean my room one day. Seemed a bit unorganized but nothing major. Overall I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Others complained of train noise. My room was on the 12th floor facing the alley. I didn't hea...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a hotel that is good for families with children, although I did not see many. They provide a nice complete kitchen that is good for those who want to eat special meals or midnight snacks. They will even provide you someone to go shopping for you and deliver it to your door. Housekeeping is very good, if you need something extra, no problem. We had a few problems T.V and garbage disposal, and they took care of the problem right away. Breakfast could be a little better as a lot of places have a chef to provide you with eggs how you like them instead of scrambled every day. Loved their potato pancakes.The night snack was nice to have and is great for someone who has had meetings all day. The pool,gym,lounge, and rooms were all clean (and I bring my flashlight, cuz I hate bedbugs!!) but nope none were to be found.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mombeege123
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

As other reviewers say, great breakfast, superb service and good location.

Downside the hotel is tired and in need of a revamp; not up to the normal US quality.

Rooms are large but poorly laid out.

We moved to the Gaylord opposite as this was more to our liking.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank LaughtonFamily
Reviewed September 28, 2012

we stayed here for 2 nights in June 2012 . We had a suite with kitchen area . It was very clean , quiet at night and the bed was very comfortable . There aren't many places to eat in the area in the evening . There is a small shop in the lobby for snacks etc . There was free coffee machine in the lobby too. The breakfast was fine and the staff helpful . It would have been nice to have had a small bar area to socialise a little bit .

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pixie056
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Excellent staff, breakfast, rooms, virtually everything, but the parking garage entrance is angled and so narrow I couldn't get my Toyota minivan in! Thankfully, we visited on a weekend, so I found street metered parking. If there hadn't been a street spot available, I don't know what we would have done.

Room Tip: A train runs along the rear of the hotel. We didn't stay on that side, but I imagine it might c...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 123traveler409
Reviewed September 24, 2012

One bedroom suite was comfortable and clean though a bit worn. Flushed a small cockroach. A third of the machines in the laundry room were not operable. Staff is efficient though not personable. Make-your-own waffles are good. Apples and banana's were offered along with melon of the day. Good yoghurt. Poor quality breads, muffins and pastries. Very poor quality juices. Coffee OK. Within easy walking distance of capital mall and some of the museums. No places nearby for dinner unless you are driving. Pizza place next door is mediocre.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family