“for a family stay, this hotel will be hard to beat.”

Residence Inn Washington, DC/Capitol
Ranked #61 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Middle Tennessee
“for a family stay, this hotel will be hard to beat.”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Anyone who knows me knows I prefer to stay only at a Marriott property as much as I only prefer Nikon gear. In fact, I have not traveled at least twice because I could not find a local Marriott property. This phobia might be due to a cross country trip with my father who insisted we stay at a Motel 6 somewhere in Texas on our way to California. I had to sleep with a handgun in my hand, in my clothes, while bugs crawled all around me. Never again. Recently, I was assigned to my company HQ located in Washington, DC. Though difficult to find a property within perdiem rates, I found a Marriott property close to the Capitol and a nearby Metro station (Federal Center SW) that meets that requirement. Thinking it would be a good opportunity for my family to checkout DC and maybe take some awesome photos, I brought my family and gear (more on the photography/family mix in another post).

The Marriott Capitol Residence Inn is located at 333 E. St. SW , Washington DC 20024. Though in what is clearly labeled a business district, this location provides incredibly easy access to Congress, all the Smithsonian Museums, and the nearby Federal Center SW Metro stop. This area seems to be in the process of a major revitalization. The hotel is located directly across the street from NASA Headquarters. Congress is about a ten minute walk from the hotel and the Federal Center SW Metro stop is about five minutes. The proximity of the Metro stop is a Godsend as you can access the entire city without the need for a car. It is also a great location for photographers to access the city during the weekend during best shooting times. However, the Metro can be tightly packed during weekday rush hours. In that case, you would be better off using a car service or taxi, which are readily available outside the front of the hotel. Most taxi rides to major attractions are about $10 -$15 from this hotel (one way). Note that many existing reviews of this hotel state there are no eating establishments near the hotel. However, that is no longer the case due to recent development. There is an excellent pizzeria right next to the hotel called Pizza Authentica offering some of the best pizza I have had in a long time as well as stromboli and salads and Italian ice cream. Next to the pizzeria is the new Phillips Cafe (opening June 2011). By the Federal Center SW Metro stop, you will find a Starbucks and PotBelly Sand-which shop apparently frequented heavily by Capitol Hill staffers. Also across from the hotel is a deli and coffee shop that to caters mostly to NASA HQ employees. And yes, I rode an elevator with a real life astronaut the day I wrote this review.

Make no mistake, the location of the property is in the city. This hotel offers LIMITED parking and they clearly state that fact. However, most people take the Metro directly from the airport. If you do decide to drive, parking is $30 a day with in and out privileges. DO NOT BRING A FORD EXCURSION or similarly sized vehicle into the parking garage. Chances are you will get stuck, which is why the hotel website lists size limits. If you decide to take your car out, just be aware you may lose your spot. On the weekends this did not seem to be an issue for me. Also being in the city, there are the usual noises associated with such a location. For example, if you want a room facing Congress, you will have to deal with the CSX train that regularly passes. In our case, we stayed on the eleventh floor facing the front of the building with a view of NASA HQ. We could only hear the occasional police car. Also, this hotel is marketed more toward the business traveler traveling with family. So, be prepared for a potential onslaught of misbehaved kids and frazzled parents.

This hotel opened in 2005 according to Marriott. It is very clean (usual with Marriott) and provides great service. The staff are incredibly friendly and really go out of their way to help you. However, when you arrive, do not expect anyone to help you with your luggage as is the case with most, but not all, Residence Inn's. So, if you pack as heavy as my family does, you will need to grab a cart and haul it yourself. In my case, with three women, I mad to make two trips.

Room pricing varies widely. We chose a one bedroom / two queen beds with separate living and kitchen area. The room was decent size and the beds easily fit a family of four (2 to a bed). There is also a pullout sleeper sofa. The kitchen is fully equipped with full refrigerator, pots, pans, flatware, etc.. However, there are no ovens in these rooms. Maid service was fantastic. We did experience issues with our icemaker and subsequent leak, which was quickly fixed by incredibly nice staff. Each room comes with a safe that will not fit your camera gear. However, one big security aspect that really put my mind at ease was that only guests registered guests with a valid room key (active) can access any floor above the first floor. The hotel also offers breakfast and dinner (free) though dinner was only provided three times while I was there (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday). Once a week, the hotel also offers movie night for the children.

In summation, I highly recommend this hotel for an extended stay with family. If I was traveling alone, and did not drive, chances are I would have chosen a hotel more downtown with a close metro stop instead of the southwest part of town. But for a family stay, this hotel will be hard to beat.

Room Tip: Choose the One Bedroom Suite at a minor upgrade ct
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Joe D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reviewed June 15, 2011

As a former D.C. resident ('74--'81) I must say this part of Capitol Hill has changed in a great way. For 4 nights our family thoroughly enjoyed this nearly new Residence Inn (Residence Inns are my family's brand of choice). Very comfortable beds; the usual UNcomfortable sofabed--put mattress on the floor or just sleep on unopened sofa! Nice T.V.s and decent bathroom, albeit small. Easy walking, especially if you're in any kind of decent shape, to MANY attractions/museums. We never used the car except to go into 'burbs to visit family. Took Metro or cabs or walked (a ways) to places to eat. The neighborhood around the hotel is fine, if deserted, at night. Don't worry about crime; D.C. has it no matter where you are. I say this having lived there and visiting it every few years since. This was my 1st time at this R.I. We've stayed at the DuPont Circle one several times. That one was okay but no more! Capitol Hill Residence Inn from now on.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank ptarr
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This hotel was okay. The worst thing about it is that you really need to keep on top of the housekeeping staff because they missed my room twice in a week and by the time I got home from work, they had gone home and it was too late to get the room cleaned.

Also, the internet was very spotty. It was difficult to get connected.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Very clean and chic hotel. Got a one-bedroom unit - very spacious and comfortable. The furniture and appliances are new and well maintained.

The front desk staff is knowledgeable and professional. Was provided a nice information package upon arrival, which had great recommendations for the restaurants in DC.

They also serve full breakfast for free - very nice addition.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank CyberJava
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here for Friday night and Saturday night. We paid for parking for both nights. We were told that after 2pm we would be billed for another night. When I went and requested them some leeway so we could see more of DC and then remove the van on our way back to Central PA they were extremely friendly and helpful and did not charge us extra. The location is just perfect. The breakfast starts pretty early. So we would all eat at different times and get ready. The boys would be checking Facebook and emails at the free computers. The lobby was large and comfortable. We got a bedroom and a pull-out couch. We were extremely comfortable with two teenage boys. We would walk all day in the Mall and come home and change for dinner and took the metro to Dupont Circle and Chinatown on the two nights. We walked to the Capitol and caught the Memorial Day practice. I would heartily recommend this place. Once the car is parked you will not need to take it out :).

Room Tip: Be polite and ask nicely. They are very helpful.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank VegLionHoosier
Roseville, Minnesota
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I am staying with my family(2 sons ages 13 & 8, husband, and myself). This is a perfect hotel for families. It's location is very close to Federal Center SW Metro spot so easy access point for metro travel plus we have walked to several things on the Mall. The staff was EXCELLENT(desk/check-in, managerial, security, maintenance, bfst staff, etc): so friendly and helpful/responsive. Our room is lovely and the cleanliness is impressive. I think it has recently been remodeled. There is a kitchen included though with so many things to do, we have yet to take advantage of this.The tasty morning breakfast is a definite bonus.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank rosevilledr
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 11, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Overall this is a great hotel. It's clean and well kept. The staff is very helpful. The free breakfast was awesome! The room (studio) was very spacious. The sofa turns into a bed. The bathroom was clean and nice. Also, this hotel is located in a great area --- it's a 5 minute walk to the metro. If you're looking for a place to stay in the DC area, this is it!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business