“Enjoyed My Stay at the Hampton Inn”

Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center
Ranked #54 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Hampton Inn the weekend of January 25th. It's in a great location near the Chinatown section of D.C. and close to shopping, nightlife, restaurants, and the Metro. The room was spacious, decorated nicely, and clean. I appreciated the free breakfast in the morning, warm cookies in the evening, free newspapers, microwave and mini-fridge in the room, and coffee/tea/hot chocolate available at all times.

One thing that I didn't understand was the placement of the coffee maker and supplies in the bathroom of the hotel room. I also hope that they expand the cable channel options.

The check-in and check-out process was smooth.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Bmoresfinest124
Jim K, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Bmoresfinest124,

Thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown Convention Center. I am glad to see you enjoyed the location, breakfast, and our spacious rooms. We are expanding our cable lineup with in the next couple of months. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

PRO: pretty good area, many restaurants and tourist spots within a short walking distance, Union Station a short cab ride; rooms are nicely appointed with good mattresses; very friendly and helpful staff; free breakfast is OK if you skip the eggs; free Wi-Fi.

CON: Good luck getting hot water, on a recent 9-day stay I had a total of three hot showers, the rest were barely lukewarm, front desk staff admits to problem if pressed, suggests "let the water run for awhile" (yeah, but 15 minutes?); hotel appears to be on a heavy fire/police/EMS route, sirens are constant even in the middle of the night.

Overall, not a bad place for an inexpensive stay in DC.

Dear Mark814,

Thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown Convention Center. I am very sorry about the hot water in your shower. We have located the problem and repaired the system. I am happy to read you enjoyed the location, breakfast, and most of all our staff. Please accept our apologies for the lack of hot water during your stay. We hope that you will give us another chance.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nestled in the newly gentrified convention center/Mt. Vernon Triangle area, this is a big Hampton Inn that is, I believe, fairly new. I was utterly perturbed by the crappy--REALLY crappy--wifi connection at night. It seemed as though every guest must've been streaming Netflix at once, but that's no excuse.

Otherwise, I liked the breakfast (seemed a little nicer than the usual Hampton offerings, and BIG KUDOS to Hampton Inn for now offering hard-boiled eggs) and the lobby / dining area is open and airy and pretty large. I didn't have a car, but parking is valet-only for $34/night.

1  Thank shlevine
Jim K, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear shlevine,
Thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown Convention Center. I am happy to see you enjoyed our newly renovated lobby and breakast. Please accept my apology for your wifi connection. We are upgrading our wifi within the next two weeks and it will run 10 times faster. I do hope you will give us another chance. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

As another posted highlighted, I stayed here as part of a large sorority group.

Arrived Friday morning about 11:00 to hotel from Reagan airport. Shared a ride with someone going to embassy suites. Taxi ride for both was about $25.

Hotel was very busy. However, immediately upon arrival the concierge was there to get my luggage. He had so much I handled my own. There were 3 employees checking us in. It was quick, less than 10 min. I was done and then up to my room. Note that it was before noon, well before check-in and my room was ready.

Had a double room which was clean. Signs of wear in the room, but otherwise very good. Average size room with microwave and fridge. Bed was uncomfortable. too hard. Perfect! Housecleaning was busy, but did a good job each day. I requested a wake up call each morning and it went off without a hitch.

The hotel was a 5 min walk to convention center and restaurants as well. One bloc behind and left of hotel is Busboys and Poets, Chipotle, Safeway, and more. 2 blocks in the opposite direction out the from of the hotel is China Town and the Verizon center. East flat walk. No hills. Easy to do and safe crosswalks. On Sunday, I went to Bar Louieto watch football. Very easy to get to. Typical bar atmosphere. Average food. Bruschetta was good. Bar recommended by desk staff.

Typical Hampton breakfast. It worked. Even with our large group, there was always a place to sit. Coffee and tea was always available. Bar area opened late in the evenings. Never went as I was always out. Walked around a lot in the evening. Never felt unsafe.

Highly recommend hotel.

Room Tip: No street noise as I was on 10
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear sk84fungirl,

Thank you for your review and recommendation of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and the service provided to you by the staff. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed here with my family for four nights at the start of January. We had two rooms next to one another which were both well cleaned with no musty smell and good views. The service at the hotel was great, anytime we had a question the staff gave in-depth answers with a smile. There was a large conference going on at the time so the hotel was very busy but they seemed to cope with the work load well. The pool was cold and the gym very basic but these were very quite for the duration of our stay so it made using them quite pleasant.

We had no problems walking around the neighbourhood and experienced no signs that it was a "bad neighbourhood" in fact everyone we walked past was quite pleasant! It's only a short walk to China Town and from there you can catch the metro anywhere!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Courtenay G
Jim K, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Courtenay G,

Thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown Convention Center. I am very happy to see you enjoyed the location, clean guestrooms, and the service from our staff. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Would highly recommend this hotel. Great location, helpful staff, good value. The rooms were clean and the lobby support staff was very helpful. This was our first time staying here but we will be back during this project.

Dear Scott P,

Thank you for recommending the Hampton Inn Washington Downtown Convention Center. I am glad to read you enjoyed the location, clean rooms, and the helpful staff. The next time you travel to Washington we hope you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel during a recent trip to DC with my sorority. Walking distance from convention center, restaurants, and metro. Room was nice and breakfast was sufficient to start the day. Nice lobby area to just come out of room a bit and talk to other guests. We were a large group and the hotel staff was friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear desihamm21,

Thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown. I am happy to see that you enjoyed the local area, our newly renovated lobby and bar, and our friendly staff. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.