“Great location!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ballarat
“Great location!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at the Hampton Inn for 4 nights late September.We were very comfortable,however our room was close to the lifts, which we found to be noisy. The staff were very friendly,and obliging.The hotel is in a great location,with many top quality restaurants within walking distance.
Once the renovation is finished the facilities will be even better,however we felt the quality of the breakfast was average,compared to other hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lifts and not facing 6th street,due to noise level.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lorraine A
Jim K, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Lorraine A,

Thank you for the review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the room, location, and friendly staff. The renovation is now complete and the lobby and bar look great. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle Washington
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Hampton Inn because they had a swimming pool and we had our grandkids. We were told that a rollaway would be provided. We also were told it was convenient walking to everything.
The pool wasn't heated! The hot tub didn't work at all and there were signs not to use it. They said we couldn't get a rollaway because of fire regulations.
The lobby is under construction. The entire area around the hotel is under construction and it's a long walk or a cab to any decent restaurant. You don't want to walk through this neighborhood with kids.
The hotel has no food at all other than a mediocre breakfast buffet. There's no place to even buy water other than the vending machines which in our case was entirely empty of water, Coke and diet Coke.
We were paying a rate of 354/night including taxes. After two nights of our scheduled 6 night stay we left and went to the JW Marriott for 332/night plus taxes for a comparative rate of $378/night. There is really no comparison at all between the two hotels! The Marriott brought in a rollaway; the pool and hot tub were perfect; there is a store, Starbucks, room service, a nice restaurant in the hotel and many more all around it. From the Marriott we truly could walk to museums, the White House, The Monuments ect.
The Hampton Inn is in my opinion only suitable for undecerning business men attending an event at the convention center who don't intend to be in the hotel much and don't intend to go sight seeing. If women or kids are involved, they will hate this hotel and the neighborhood is not safe for them. If such a guest could get a Hotwire rate of $200, it might make sense.
In our case this hotel was recommended by an incompetent travel agent and we prepaid for 6 nights. I now need to fight for a refund of the remaining 4 nights. A desk supervisor told me there would be a refund, but I'll believe it when I see it as these are the people who said we would get a rollaway, the pool was great, we could get water from the vending machines, etc.
The whole two night experience with the Hampton Inn was a complete disappointment.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank cmacscott
Dear cmacscott,

Thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC. I am sorry to read about your disappointment with the hotel. We have corrected the pool heater and hot tub. Our store was under renovation at the time of your stay. I apologize for the lack of water that was available. I will personally reach out to you to make this right. Thank you for staying with us and I will be in touch.
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Easy walk from Union Station to this hotel. Plenty of dining options near by. We ate Thai in Chinatown the first night and used Legal Seafoods the next. Room was clean and well-appointed. Hot breakfast was excellent and the sitting and eating area is newly renovated and spacious. Staff is efficient, friendly and very eager to please. Busy schedule prevented us from trying out the fitness center or indoor pool. Lobby is being renovated now, and management was on hand to ensure that no one was being inconvenienced during the process. Used D.C. Circulator to get to Georgetown and route runs within a block of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tdme
Dear tdme,

Thank you for the awesome review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown Convention Center. It is great to see that you enjoyed the location, cleanliness, guest room, and most of all the staff. The lobby has been completed and looks great. Thank you for choosing Hampton and we hope to see you again.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We arrive in DC on a late evening flight, stayed 1 night. Hotel was convenient to airport & shuttle bus pick up. Very friendly & helpful staff, comfortable room with frig & coffee making facilities. Rate included a generous breakfast with variety. I was impressed with the free use of a computer & printing facilities.
Thank-you

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sue848_12,

Thank you for the great review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown. I am happy to see you enjoyed the location, friendly staff, room and complimentary coffee. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Naperville, IL
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Room was very nice and up to high Hampton standards; very easy access to convention center and comparison shopping felt I got a good price on the room and felt it was a good value. Was not in the mood for anything fancy, so the Chipotle around the corner was perfect for my needs. Easy walk to the convention center which means easy access to Metro as well. Recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank therockandsister
Dear therockand sister,

Thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown. I am glad to see that you enjoyed the room, location, and price. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Cardiff
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We chose this hotel for one night for its good location to the Verizon Centre to see Madonna in concert.
Location was great, near Metro, Chinatown, local bars and restaurants so felt quite safe after dusk getting about.

We weren’t disappointed with our stay however, the hotel isn't finished as the lobby is half finished and the new bar was section was being worked on... so very noisy as soon as we walked in.

Rooms were very clean with fridge & microwave and an oversized bathroom. Beds were extremely comfortable with a very quiet air-conditioning unit which was a plus.

Breakfast was included in our deal which was an added bonus but failed to meet the 5* service as it was served with plastic cutlery on plastic plates… So trying to cut bagels and spread butter was extremely difficult and very frustrating!!

I would stay here again but only when the hotel is finished and more importantly when they start using proper cutlery!!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor as its quieter from the noise of the street traffic
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank banana77771
Dear, banana77771,

Thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the location, cleanliness, beds, and room amenities. The hotel lobby is finished and the bar is open as well. We hope the next time you are traveling to Washington you choose to stay with us again.
Montauk, New York
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I needed a hotel to stay overnight on a recent visit to DC. Some of the hotels in the area would not allow a single nights stay. Anyway, I decided to stay at this Hampton. Hampton Inn is usually my first choice when I travel. I rarely have gone wrong at a Hampton and this Hampton was no exception. Overall the hotel was well kept and clean. My room was nice and well appointed with a little fridge and microwave. Everything looked good and smelled clean. The Bathroom was tiled and had granite counters. Furniture was typical Hampton but in very good condition. Most importantly the bed was comfortable. I am assuming the hotel is relatively new or they just take good of the property. I missed the breakfast so I cannot comment on that. The staff was very friendly. I had to check out and the staff held my luggage with baggage checks while I went site seeing. I picked up my luggage in the evening without incident. The sites were a 15 minute walk. The hotel is located in a decent part of DC. I felt pretty safe the whole time I was there. The only complaint I have and this applies to all Hampton Inns I've stayed at, is there bragging that they launder fresh the duvet cover for each visitor. Of all the 15 Hamptons I've stayed in the last year not one had freshly laundered duvet covers for my visit. I have the nose of a blood hound and can tell from a mile away if something has been freshly laundered. The chain should not promote and brag about something they blatantly do not do. This Hampton is still a winner and I plan on staying again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank rossvin324
Dear Vinross,

Thank you for the awesome review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown Convention Center. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel, the rooms, and most of all the service that was provided to you by the staff. We look forward to seeing you again. Thank you for staying with Hampton.