“Go For The Appetizers!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: Between 18th St. NW and 19th St. NW
Transit: Farragut North Metro Station (Red) Farragut West Metro Station (Blue, Orange) Dupont Circle Metro Station (Red)
Atlanta, Georgia
“Go For The Appetizers!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Traveling in DC offers many rstaurant options. Many are quite good with a fairly high, but fair price tag. Malaysia Koptiam is a decent find, without the $$$$ price descriptor.
I sat down in an average Asian restaurant ambiance thinking that I may have made a mistake in my selection of a restaurant. The place isn't a dump by any standard, but it's not fancy and the setting alluded to the possibility that the food could go either way. Now, if you have read any of my reviews, you know that ambiance alone a restaurant does not make.
While the ambiance is plain, it's clean, comfortable and quiet despite a decent Monday evening dinner crowd.
I ordered a few appetizers, and after trying both, though tired from travel, compelled to write a glowing review of this restaurant.
Appetizers were Otak-Otak (salmon, mince chicken,shrimp, egg, in banana leaves) and Baby oyster omelette. Both were REALLY good.
Again- REALLY GOOD!
For entre I started with the seafood hot pot. It was piled high with seafood and fresh vegetables. This dish I would certainly recommend for those who don't care for spicy food. The dish is, quite conveniently, located in the " non-spicy" section of their menu. For me, this dish was a bit bland, I thought it could have had some more of the flavorful 'humph' I experienced in the appetizers. It was good though, not disappointing.
While the hotspot was not as mind blowing as I had hoped, I was convinced that they would blow my mind with something else. Especially after those appetizers. I am all about lots of spice so I went a little crazy and ordered another entre. The sembal squid, extra spicy.
It was bland, again. I have had sembayal dishes in the past, none were sweet. This one was, with canned pineapple, sricha hot sauce, and I fear, ketchup. It was really sweet, not like I had ever had before. It's possible this is the real way to make the dish, but not with canned pineapple. Period.
So- go to Malaysia Kopitiam, just get a bunch of their great appetizers and stay clear of their entres!

• Visited September 2013

Ocean City, NJ
“Satay fix again”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I apparently reviewed this place in 2010, but actually it was a different place also near Dupont Circle which isn't there anymore.

So, we just ate here last Thursday for the satay which we became adicted to in Singapore years ago and now actively seek out. This place has only chicken, but it was juicy and cooked with the peanut sauce on which was also tasty. Hopefully it will still be there when we return to dc.

• Visited July 2013
Philly
“Always Real-Always Good Malaysian”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Real Malaysian food. Elements of Indonesian, Thai, Chinese and South Indian with some Portuguese, Dutch and English influences. Still excellent!I was a regular here for several years since it opened (in 2001?). But I moved to Philly 6 years ago and while there are a couple Malaysian places there, they didn't hold up to my memories of food in Malaysia in the 70s or the quality of the Kopitiam. Took my recent bride, a Spaniard, for her first visit there tonight. We shared roti canai, ikan kari and ABC (ayer batu kacung). She loved it too. As good as ever. a fave!

• Visited July 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Authentic but average food”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have been here with friends on multiple occasions and the reason we keep coming back is because this is the only place in the area with pretty authentic Malaysian food. That said, compared to the actual dishes you can get in Malaysia and Singapore, the food here should be considered average. Nevertheless, for those who do not have the opportunity to travel more than halfway around the world to Southeast Asia and to try their cuisine there, this place is a decent choice. My favourite dishes here are the chicken satay and oyster omelette.

In terms of location, this place is a short walk from Dupont Circle. For those taking public transport, exit from the south entrance of the Dupont Circle metro station and walk about two blocks south towards M Street. The restaurant has a simple, unassuming atmosphere and it is usually rather quiet. The staff are really pleasant too.

• Visited April 2013
Austin, Texas
“authentic malaysian in dc”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I've lived in Singapore and visited Malaysia many times, and this place is the closest I've come on the east coast to authentic Malaysian food. The roti paratha tastes just like malaysia. The char kway teow is great. Poh piah are really hard to find and they nailed it! I've also had the beef sambal and mee goreng - both fabulous. Wash it all down with a Tiger beer, and you'll be happy as a clam. Great hidden gem near Dupont!

• Visited February 2013