“friendly service, good food”
Review of Al Crostino

Al Crostino
Reserve with OpenTable
Al Crostino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #644 of 3,322 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: U Street Corridor
Description: Family-operated, Al Crostino is an intimate Italian restaurant located in Washington D.C. That exudes a 'la famiglia' atmosphere. This Neapolitan family offers a collection of flavorsome dishes, priding themselves on their homemade pasta, fresh fish, desserts, and their assortment of exquisite Italian wines.
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Went here recently with a groupon-esque deal. Even knowing we had a coupon, the service was exemplary. We ordered a bottle of wine, which corked itself, and they didn't even try to serve it - going back to the bar for a new bottle. My date ordered the daily specials which were delicious. I had a "pizza" with moz and arugula, and my dinner was chicken with moz and ham. everything was delicious and service was attentive, but not overbearing. even with the coupon, the meal was expensive.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I usually write restaurant reviews when I get disappointed both with food and service and feel cheated upon. This wold describe my last night's dinner at Al Crostino. Situated in a very busy and trendy U Street of DC, this small Italian restaurant is barely visible. I very soon realised how come we got a table so easily - the place was relatively empty. The owner/donna da casa insisted on her Italian, which resulted in us getting the expensive Italian bottled water. The menu has only a few options. I took ravioli with cheese for the main course and got six (!) medium sized pieces on my large plate. It took me 2.5 minutes to dine. The house wine was of very mediocre quality and not worth tasting. The atmosphere of an empty place was also not that pleasant. So, this is not a place where you see cockroaches run around or find flies in your soup, but there's really nothing to look forward to, other than a hefty bill at the end of your unromantic and rushed evening.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

It was the third stop of the night for two of us (a so-so dinner and drinks with friends at a nearby club). We didn't feel like ending the night and were looking for somewhere quieter to talk. With a texted recommendation in hand, we walked into Al Crostino. Cute place, lots of little tables, it was night-time so not as bright looking as the website pictures, could be really romantic. We sat at the bar and had hazelnut gelato, tiramisu, and cappuccino; all perfect. And then I tried my first grappa; it was serious! I think I lost a few taste buds on the first sip and at one point the roof of my mouth was totally numb.

Anyway, we got chatty with the owners (a mother and daughter team) and found out that while they don't make the sorbet or gelato in house (they found a great vendor), they DO make the tiramisu and pasta, Now this place is looking like a date night option. Both ladies were charming and gracious hosts; not rushing us and letting me finish my grappa without having to chug it even though it was after 10, the place was empty (except for us) and they were ready to close.

We're definitely going to try the the rest of the menu soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

We were at Al Crostino on Saturday April 14th; we had a party of three and walked in off the street. We were greeted promptly and seated right away. It was still pretty early for the dinner crowed so the restaurant was not very busy. There was plenty of staff on hand to provide a top notch service experience. Out drink orders were taken right away and delivered very quickly. We split an order of Prosciutto e Melone as an appetizer and loved every bite on our plates. Between the three of us we ordered the Veal Scaloppini, Fileto de Manzo (beef tenderloin) and the Melenzane Parmigiano (eggplant) - all were cooked perfectly. We did try two desserts but for the life of me - I can't remember which ones. One was a daily special and one was off the regular menu. Both were fantastic and just the right amount to share. We were in D.C. for a weekend visit and were happy to find this hidden gem and would definitely go back when we are in D.C. next.

Reviewed January 25, 2012

It doesn't get the buzz of some of the other places in the 14th and U corridors, but Al Crostino is a really good casual Italian find. Service is friendly, and the food has always been very good, and some times bordering on great. The kitchen doesn't always play it safe, but it succeeds far more often then not. Family-friendly, although probably not a great place to come with kids. It is small, so large groups should probably call ahead.