“Good food - lots of choice”
Review of Indique

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: Porter/Ordway
Transit: Cleveland Park Metro (Red line)
New Delhi, India
“Good food - lots of choice”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

well located at the metro station - wide open spaces - larege restaurant - good indian food! Ideal for large groups also.

Visited February 2013

Alexandria, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Indian Food”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

It is a nice cosy restaurant with great Indian Food. Service was excellent and the location is great.

• Visited January 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice Indian food.”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Is a good palce to have indina food, but no special dishes or rare indian food. The drinks are more exciting than the food. Loved tha Kamasutra!

Visited November 2012
Tysons Corner, Virginia
“DISAPPOINTED!!! That's how I would describe my experience at Indique.”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Since this restaurant has a TripAdvisor badge pasted on its entrance saying "Recommended by TripAdvisor", I wanted to share my dining experience here.

I remember celebrating my b'day at Indique about 6-7 years ago. At that time, the food was amazing, service impeccable, and we were overall satisfied. I decided to go there with my husband expecting the same kind of food quality, but we were highly disappointed.

The manager at the reception area was very welcoming, but our waitress (an Asian lady) was anything but warm. She just didn't care, hardly checked up on us, and overall provided us with very bad service.

Now to the food - we ordered the following:
- Chaat Papri: STAY AWAY from this. They put way too much curd in this dish and the curd is very very thick. I felt like I was having yogurt instead of the delicious chaat this was supposed to be.

- Bhel: Nothing great.

- Mini Dosas: This was probably the best thing I had at this restaurant. Very flavorful and delectable.

- Daal Makhani: nothing like the authentic daal that I have tasted at Tandoori Nights, Rasika etc. This is just the regular black daal and not the actual 'Daal Makhani'.

- Baigan Bharta: was decent, nothing great.

- Ceylon Paratha: AWFUL...I could smell/taste the butter on this roti, and it made me nauseous. I have had delicious Ceylon parathas before, and this was far from it.

- Roti: was cold by the time it was brought out.

- Gulab Jamun: They only serve one gulab jamun per order (weird). So order more if you are a bigger party.

- Drinks: poorly made. My husband ordered the Dirty Martini and it was just not dirty enough. I had the Lychee juice, which was terrible.

My favorite restaurant in the area is 'Rasika' (both for food and service). The prices for Indique are at par with Rasika, but the food and service doesn't even come close to Rasika's high standards.

I don't think I will return to this place again. There are tons of other great Indian restaurants in the DC metro area, that remind me of the food served in India. I give this place 2 stars as I was very very disappointed.

• Visited December 2012
WashingtonDC
“perfectly mediocre Indian food, nothing special”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My partner and I went to Indique for Indian food for dinner, and overall I would say that the Indian food is... perfectly mediocre. My personal preference for Indian food is either to get the expensive kind where you can really tell the techniques used that the quality of the food is very high, or do the cheap Indian food were you can get a two-person meal for $35. To me, Indique falls in that category of too expensive to be "cheap," but not good enough to be high-end.

Because we had never been there before, we tried out some of their small plates and two entrées. We ordered the salmon cakes (pictured), which were probably the best item that we had -- light and flavorful, and not punitively spicy. We also got the pork belly vindaloo, which came overcooked. Seriously, I have never had to hack at a piece of pork belly with a knife to the point where you can see the indentations of the knife – it should fall apart in your mouth. My partner got what looked like a quesadilla of cauliflower and cheese, but it was mostly bread. (I'm not saying they didn't cook that dish correctly, since I don't know what it was, but it wasn't great.) For entrées, I got the saffron chicken, which was very well cooked in the tandoori oven.

In general, the service was haphazard. I wanted to get our appetizer orders in before we decided on entrées just because we were so hungry, but the waitress never came back for the entrée order. We ultimately had to flag her down after she passed us and served a whole new table with bread (which we never got). It was as though she forgot that we hadn't ordered our main course.

Overall, I would not recommend Indique for Indian food. I say that not because the food is horrible, or because we had a bad experience, but mainly because when an amazing Indian restaurant like Rasika is only about $20-$40 more (for two), this place definitely needs to step up its game. The days of just mediocre Indian food in Washington DC hopefully should end soon. This place has promise, and the atmosphere is quite inviting – there's an open-air second floor that looks down on the first floor -- but it's not quite there yet, in my opinion.

• Visited December 2012