“Fun, reliable and friendly”

El Tamarindo - Florida Ave. NW
Ranked #724 of 3,236 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Mexican, South American, Salvadoran
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Adams Morgan
Cross street: U St. NW
Transit: Dupont Circle Metro Station (Red)
Description: Enjoy fresh and flavorful food in a comfortable, neighborly environment. Join us for a tart margarita, a perfect pupusa and simply a wonderful experience.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fun, reliable and friendly”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We're regulars, and enjoy the warm greeting and great service almost weekly. The food is tasty, predictable Central American cuisine, generously portioned and quickly served. The fajitas are a particularly good deal, well-seasoned and served with great sides; have the flour tortillas. Though the noise level can be high, it gives the restaurant a buzz with all age ranges, Spanish as well as English spoken, and a rustic feel to the extent Washington's Adams Morgan neighborhood allows. It's open late but even in the middle of the evening there's never a wait, unlike at some of the other fun restaurants nearby. Sit in the second room, which is a bit less bustling but still a place where tables for two, four and 10 all coexist well to create a fun evening. We stick to margaritas, which are particularly pleasant.

• Visited November 2011

Washington DC
“Jose Reyes -- Always the friendly host and owner”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Located on Florida Avenue at the foot of the Adams Morgan neighborhood in DC, El Tamarindo has been a favorite of ours for a very long time. The cuisine is Mexicon/Salvadorean. Soon after you sit down, a big bowl of home made tortilla chips and salsa appears. After that, we love to move on to tamal d'elote -- a delicious corn concoction packed in a corn husk and served with sour cream. We've taken many friends and relatives to El Tamarindo over the years and everyone has always enjoyed their meal. I'm partial to Enchilada Super de Pollo which they will plate up for me without onions (I'm allergic). Another favorite is a green salad with chicken, avacados and other veggies servied in a tostada bowl. My husband always has a margarita and I like to finish the meal with a yummy, creamy flan. The atmosphere of the two-room restaurant is quite festive and there is a small customer's only parking lot along the side. Senor Reyes or his wife or both are almost always there.

Trenton, New Jersey
“Excellent Traditional Salvadoran”
Reviewed October 1, 2011

First time at Dupont Circle and like all tourist, wife and I headed to Laurel Plaza for Latin Food. Dunk 20something wannabees staggering around turned us off. They boast "Killer Margaritas" but this crowd had few brain cells anyway. Appetizers were avg at best.
Walked down street and saw El Tamarindo. Never heard of it but looked fun with traditional tacky Latin colors and murals. Turned out to be a Washington Post Critics Choice
Real jewel of a restaurant. Authentic food, never had a Paupaus til now. Overall excellent food not cheap but excellent value. Salvadoran food different than Mexican. Server was from Peru and evidently Peru very different from Salvadoran ... where is a Peru Rest ????

“Horrible”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Never make the mistake of ordering the steak. It's always undercooked. The service is horrible. I asked the waitor to bring me a Piña colada and he told me they didn't make those there when there was a couple next to my table who both had piña coladas. Everything else on the menu is mediocre. The pupusas are not great, and the burritos are filled with everything but chicken. I don't suggest you eat here. It's overpriced crap.

Talking Rock, Georgia
“Hideous,some of us even got sick”
Reviewed September 3, 2011

My husband and I went with our 3 adult daughters to El Tamarindo because I had a Living Social deal , which I had purchased after reading mostly positive reviews. Our deal was about to expire and we did not want to loose it.We drove from MD on a Thursday evening. Parking was the first issue. Te lot is very strictly for customers only-which should be a good thing. The spot next to the only open spot was, however, occupied by a car whose owner was well over the line.A woman who may have been a family member saw us struggling to squeeze in and went in and spoke to staff, who knew exactly who was in the spot next to us as customers were required to register the spot in which they parked, or be towed. Nothing was done to assist
The server was pleasant enough and did a passable job.The food, however was strange, at best.Not strange as in,"El Salvadorian food- a different culture than the one we come from" but rather "Slopped together.,with difficult to distinguish sauces, cheeses,beans and off colored meats piled in an unappetizing way on top of each other."The burritos were huge but filled mainly with a strange rice mixture which included many peas, as v egtable my youngest was unprepared to find in a burrito,and which she detests.The ground beef looked raw, and the consistency was odd but not like that of raw meat,, just odd. The chorizo was also a strange hue so we assumed that a spice was the culprit. One daughter was so repulsed that she was unable to eat her l. It was removed from the bill without argument but as the manager/ owner was there, I would have expected that he would have been more concerned about what she found inedible.Additionally, 2 of our group experienced intestinal upset by the next day.Perhaps this was an unusually bad day but we have no intetion of returning to find out.