“More Bar Space Needed!”
Review of Poste Brasserie - CLOSED

Poste Brasserie
Cuisines: American, French, Bar, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: F Street
Transit: Metro – Gallery Place
Description: Poste will delight your senses with mouthwatering dishes and an award-winning wine list, in an atmosphere like nowhere else. Chef Dennis Marron serves up modern American Brasserie cuisine emphasizing fresh, local, and organic ingredients...even as local as our backyard! Whether you are enjoying a hand crafted cocktail on our outdoor patio, joining the happy hour crowd in our lively bar area, or cozying up in one of our booths on a winter evening, Poste is sure to have something to fit any occasion.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“More Bar Space Needed!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I've tried to do happy hour indoors at Poste twice with failures each time. There are simply too many people there and not enough chairs and tables. I dislike having to wait long minutes for a drink or simply to ask a question at the bar. That being said, when I did order my food, I enjoyed what I received. I recommend their clafouti. Poste to me is more of a place to see and be seen rather than a place for serious gourmets.

Visited July 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Pretty good”
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I went here for brunch and had a lovely time. The food don't blow me off my seat but it was very good. My friends were very happy with the bloody Mary bar. The desserts, especially the clafoutis, were unique. It was all a bit pricey but I wouldn't complain if I had to eat there again.

• Visited August 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Relaxed, unpretentious atmosphere. Great staff, great service, great food.”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Where do I begin? But, of course! During our stay at Hotel Monaco, we had the opportunity to visit Poste Moderne Brasserie a couple of times, so I’ll start from the beginning.

At 6:00 p.m., on the spur of the moment, we decided to ask about a reservation for a party of 4. The hostess said that although she didn't have a reservation available until 8:00 p.m., she could seat us immediately if we wanted. We wanted!

We started our first visit with their mixologist’s take on ‘The Vesper’, which is the drink ordered by James Bond in the ‘Casino Royale’. I am not a martini fan, but this drink may have just converted me. In fact, 007 himself would approve.

This was also the visit that we had dinner. Each of us ordered our own selections and shared. Our entire meal consisted of a Charcuterie Board, Cucumber Yogurt Soup, Escargots, Beef Cheek Bourguignon, Arctic Char, and a selection of Farmstead Cheeses.

Everything was amazing, but the Beef Cheek Bourguignon was absolutely stunning. The 72-hour braised short ribs are served with, bacon, carrots, baby turnips and Dijon whipped potatoes. This was not my menu selection, but it appeared much lighter than a typical Bourguignon. It will be my order on my next visit.

The restaurant is busy, but the atmosphere is relaxed and you are never made to feel rushed.
The service was wonderful and fast, yet not overbearing. There were several times that water would be refilled at the table without our noticing it had been done.

As with the hotel, the staff at Poste goes out of their way to rectify even the smallest of issues. During our dinner visit, the waiter felt that two of our drinks took a little too long coming from the bar. He made sure to let us know that we were not charged for them. We had not complained about the delay.

After dinner, we retired to the courtyard area for drinks. This is a perfect spot with a European vibe to it. It also gets pretty busy, but is very spacious and you never feel claustrophobic
My wife and I went to brunch the next morning and ate breakfast fare. Again the service was remarkable and the breakfast was very good. I do think the prices for eggs, toast, and sausage were a little steep, but understand that these are normal prices for a restaurant of this caliber attached to a hotel.

The remainder of our visits were primarily to the bar itself. The craft bartenders were first rate and the cocktails were amazing. For a treat, try the Bloody Mary with bacon-infused vodka. On an early weekday afternoon, when it’s quiet, you may catch the bartenders making sauces, or infusing vodka. Sit at the bar. Take a moment to talk to them. Ask them about their craft. If there’s a particular drink you like, they may just share the secret with you.

Finally, on the last day of our visit, I ordered a Brasserie Burger to take back to the room for my wife and I to snack on. Somehow, my order got skipped by the kitchen. Before I even realized my order was taking too long, the server had checked on it and corrected the problem with the kitchen. He then explained it to me and comped me a glass of wine while I waited. When my order arrived, there was an extra burger and side in the bag at no charge. Another example of how far they will go to rectify the little things.

I will say that the burgers weren't to our particular liking, but that’s not necessarily a reflection of the restaurant. Everything else was terrific

Andrew Carlson, Sean Alves, and the rest of the staff are amazing. Thank you for your wonderful hospitality.

We look forward to returning.

• Visited July 2013
Chesapeake, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and terrific drinks!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We visited Poste while staying at the Monaco. We didn't have a reservation, but they seated us immediately. Our food was promptly served by friendly servers. The cocktails were top notch, it was our first time having a Vesper Martini and the Bacon infused Bloody Mary was amazing! The bartender, Andy, explained exactly how to make the drinks so we could re-create them at home. The atmosphere inside was relaxed, and not pretentious. The outdoor seating area was perfect for after-dinner cocktails! We will definitely be back on our next trip to Washington!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank terralynn98
Huntington, New York
“Lovely Breakfast”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We ate breakfast at the Poste Brasserie on a recent visit to the Monaco Hotel. The service was top notch and the breakfast was delicious. Quite possibly the best scrambled eggs I have ever eaten.

Visited July 2013