“Finally: a real Chinese restaurant with brown rice.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Washington DC
“Finally: a real Chinese restaurant with brown rice.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

When we moved to DC from Manhattan in 1997, the lack of decent Chinese food was one of about 50 things on my "I hate DC" list, along with a useless subway system and no super to fix your toilet 24/7. Over the years, our family tried about 10 restaurants for take-out: the few that were good eventually became awful, and they seemed to consider thick brown sauce de rigueur on everything including dessert. (Note: Nam Viet, which is not Chinese, is a huge exception; run do not walk to this place on Connecticut Ave., up the street from the zoo.) The other day, I was bemoaning this to my students. They told me to try Chen's. We ordered a pile of food. It was delivered in 45 minutes; the man was nice; the bill was 25% less than what we usually pay; and they had brown rice. More important, the food was great. The vegetables are not rendered lifeless by some amorphous corn-starch imbued topping, and the meat tastes like meat. The seafood dishes need more seafood, but for $10 who's going to complain. And the portions were huge. Try the bean curd and spinach soup ($2.50), the spareribs ($7), and just about anything else. I think I'll stay in Washington.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank Jean-Marie S

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Carryout or you can eat on a tiny patio at one of their 4 tables. call ahead, there can often be a line/wait.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

super fast, large portions for the price, I will definately order from here again (but I hate to say that it is no PF Changs).

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic Chinese, Great Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2007

Chen's Gourmet is one of the best Chinese take out eateries in Washington, DC. Each time we are in Washington, my wife and I make it a point to order something and have it delivered to our hotel. Its super efficient kitchen whips up authentic Chinese dishes. It even offers very good Thai cuisine. The portions are large and the prices are very reasonable. The Kung Pao Shrimp is very good -- large shrimp in a wonderfully spicy sauce. Great value for money all the way around! Highly recommended for take out when you want something really tasty, but prefer to order out rather than go for a sitdown meal in a restaurant.

1 Thank feishan