“Best Food So Far in the USA” 5 of 5 bubbles

Bua Thai
Ranked #713 of 3,189 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Helensvale, Australia
“Best Food So Far in the USA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stopped in New Orleans, took a Caribbean cruise then drove up the east coast of the USA. We find the food in the USA varies from acceptable to poor, but we were very pleasantly surprised by the Bua Thai (dinner). We asked for Thai hot food (pet pet!) and were not disappointed. There were no worst dishes; the least good was the chicken green curry which was a bit thin and merely better than anything we've had so far in the States. The others were excellent in their own right: deliciously spicy.
The staff were Thai and the Thai waitress was very friendly. If you like Thai and you're in the area, give it a try. We just walked in off the street, no reservation was needed, at least on this occasion. There is upstairs dining but we were happy next to the bar at street level.

• Visited December 2012

• Korean first
Shawnee, Kansas
“Great for lunch in the Dupont Circle neighborhood”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

The food was delicious...the service was a bit slow but the food made up for it. The restaurant could stand a remodel as it was last touched in the 90's if not before. The Pad Thai was wonderful. I would skip the house salad that was iceberg lettuce for $4, but I would order the Pad Thai again in a heart beat.

Visited November 2012
“Fair”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Just ok food. I've eaten a lot of Thai food and have had much better. The service was fine but the food was lacking the great Thai food flavor I'm use to eating.

“GREAT FOOD but slow service..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

Slow service but great food. I got a noodle soup. I got to decide what to and not to put in my soup. It was a medium size bowl, with clear water, flat noodles, chicken, and more, I thought it was delicious. My friend got the larb gai and it was cheap, but very good.

Lauderhill, Florida
“Better than average Thai restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

We arrived on Chrismas day, and were lucky to find Bua just around the corner from our hotel--and to find them open on Chrismas Day.
Bua isn't a fancy place...decor is clean, if not memorable. The street view is actually quite pleasant. Many Thai places I've been to seem to have a standard menu, and most places just duplicate that, so it doesn't matter which you go to. But Bua's is more extensive than most, though not particularly exotic.
But the food was quite lovely. We shared an appetizer of shrimp wrapped in sliced pork, breaded and fried--luscious! My wife had beef in red curry and coconut milk, done perfectly to her liking of spiciness (not too much). I had duck with red sauce, peppers, onions, tomato, and basil, nicely hot thought not deadly. The meat was juicy, the vegetables cooked but still crispy (and the basil still brilliant green).
Service was excelent--friendly and efficient and welcoming. There are plenty of Thai places in DC, but you won't go wrong with this one.

• Visited December 2011