“Great architecture and superb museum”

National Museum of the American Indian
Ranked #55 of 460 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The National Museum of the American Indian houses artifacts, art, historical and cultural objects from Native Indian communities in the Hemisphere.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Visted as part of a quick DC tour on 11/8 and was really impressed by this museum, the wonderful building, the intro film and the way the exhibits are presented. Not busy when we visited and very few kids!

The food options are very different too.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,970)

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Loved all of it and am glad we had enough time to enjoy it. It was very well laid out and easy to navigate.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I only had a few days in DC so I chose only one museum for this trip. I decided on the National Museum of the American Indian because I am part Cherokee from the East Tennessee mountains.

The museum is stunning inside and outside. Sadly we could not linger on the grounds because it was cold and rainy. However we were not disappointed with the amount of time we did spend there. This part of our history needs to be remembered and taught to our young ones. The displays were very informative and thought provoking. Please consider this museum if you get the opportunity to visit.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is living history museum as well as a place that documents the past. The building and grounds are symbolic, beautiful, and peaceful. Walk around both long sides of the museum. In the museum, you need to interact with the exhibits -- pick a few that interest you and dive in! You hear the voices of adults and children in some of the interact displays. You hear old stories and legends, listen to descriptions of key events, and see artifacts from the past and present. Don't try to see the whole musuem in one go. A cute activity section for kids (with a small reading room with children's books) is also entertaining for adults. The larger cafeteria, while not cheap, is a great (and delicious) adventure in exploring native food from many regions of the Americas. The gift shop is my vote for the best gift shop in the Smithsonian museums on the mall.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was so looking forward to this museum, which had been added since my last DC trip. There was a great deal of information, and much of it was interesting, but I guess I expected more in the way of artifacts and such and was overwhelmed by the volume of text. It was kind of like trying to read a history book in an hour, while walking.

The one stand out was the movie experience offered on the 4th floor. It's a 13 minute presentation in an intimate setting, and totally enjoyable. Whoever came up with this concept deserves nothing but praise. It is such a unique multi-media experience that you just sit there thinking...wow...amazing! And when that fellow at the beginning asks you to shut off you cell phone...trust me. There is nothing happening on your cell phone that is nearly as interesting as what you are about to see. Just turn it off and enjoy the next 13 minutes of your life without interruption.

Been to National Museum of the American Indian? Share your experiences!